Team Magic G4

Old 04-22-2008, 06:30 AM
Tech Adept

Question for you guys that have used the first series of the JLR red dot:

On a relatively short track, what gearing did you use? With other motors i've been using 19/24. On my bell i have 18/24 on there now. too low for the red dot?
Old 04-22-2008, 07:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've run all 3 Red Dot motors and am currently running the Red Dot EVO III JL Tuned Version. We have a relatively short technical track here in San Antonio, Texas and with my previous car (RRR-Evo) and my current G4RS I've run 15/21, 16/21 and 17/22 on my pinions. It seems to work well for our short tight track. Even at the big track at Mike's Hobbies in Houston, Texas I ran 16/23 on my pinions with the 56/61 spurs and it was good enough to make the A-Main at the Gulfcoast Speedline Grand Prix. Hope this helps. I do think you may be to tall on your pinions but depending on your tire size and how tight the track is it may work for you. If your track is short and tight and you want to come out of the turns quicker I would suggest going shorter on the pinions. If your track is short but the turns are more sweeping than tight you may have the right set-up. Just experiment with the gearing without changinG the tire size and see which feels better.

G4RS
Old 04-22-2008, 10:44 AM
Tech Adept

Here's our track:

http://www.rcpikeriver.com/track.html

the back straight is about 150 to 180 feet depending on how we do the lay out on top of the permanent part. On the far right, that section can sometimes be make into a double S. (on the picture it shows the oval or the hair pin ). that 28 foot section is open pavement so we change the layout regularly.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:54 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by charlesd
Here's our track:

http://www.rcpikeriver.com/track.html

the back straight is about 150 to 180 feet depending on how we do the lay out on top of the permanent part. On the far right, that section can sometimes be make into a double S. (on the picture it shows the oval or the hair pin ). that 28 foot section is open pavement so we change the layout regularly.
Cool track!! It's a bit bigger than ours in San Antonio but just a bit smaller than the track I run at in Houston. From the photos and dimensions I'd probably start with 62mm rear tire height and 60mm front with the 16/21 or 16/22 pinions and 56/61 spur or 55/61. Give it a try and see how it goes.

G4RS
Old 04-22-2008, 04:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Speyederjedi
Cool track!! It's a bit bigger than ours in San Antonio but just a bit smaller than the track I run at in Houston. From the photos and dimensions I'd probably start with 62mm rear tire height and 60mm front with the 16/21 or 16/22 pinions and 56/61 spur or 55/61. Give it a try and see how it goes.

G4RS
what spurs are you refering to ? TM spurs come in (1st) 50-51-52 (2nd) 45-46-47 .
im guessing its a typo , but i thaught id ask anyway
Old 04-23-2008, 01:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

What is the internal gear ratio of the G4S with and without ED gears?
Old 04-23-2008, 06:23 PM
afm
Tech Master

Originally Posted by NinjaRacer
What is the internal gear ratio of the G4S with and without ED gears?
Std. = 2.526
ED = 2.190

AFM
Old 04-23-2008, 07:32 PM
Tech Elite

Hello everyone,

How are you all? Are there many out there, in the U.S running the G4S or has everyone upgraded to the G4RS ?

I for one am still running the 'S' for now although that may change soon??!

The change to plastic "ED" pulleys seams a definate improvement to me. The shortening of the chassis due to the re-positioning of the rear sway bar is also an improvement.

Has anyone, or is anyone having any sort of problems with Spektrum Pro system, specifically in an M11, with the 800mAh or 1100 mAh battery packs?

I did have some issues with using these and I put it down to max Amp draw from these batteries was not sufficient to satisfy the Pro receiver and hence went into either failsafe, or some sort of Glitch, for want of a better word for it. Three times this happened and the car ended up going straight ahead at full throttle? This problem seam to go went I changed to a Li-Po battery and regulator set-up.

Just wondered if any body else had seen similar issues?

Regards,
British Menace
Old 04-23-2008, 08:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Originally Posted by British Menace
Hello everyone,

How are you all? Are there many out there, in the U.S running the G4S or has everyone upgraded to the G4RS ?

The change to plastic "ED" pulleys seams a definate improvement to me. The shortening of the chassis due to the re-positioning of the rear sway bar is also an improvement.

Has anyone, or is anyone having any sort of problems with Spektrum Pro system, specifically in an M11, with the 800mAh or 1100 mAh battery packs?

I did have some issues with using these and I put it down to max Amp draw from these batteries was not sufficient to satisfy the Pro receiver and hence went into either failsafe, or some sort of Glitch, for want of a better word for it. Three times this happened and the car ended up going straight ahead at full throttle? This problem seam to go went I changed to a Li-Po battery and regulator set-up.

Regards,
British Menace
Hi British I am running the spek pro mod for the 3pks and never had a problem previously but upgrading to a 1300mah lipo has allowed me to run what seems like forever compared to the nimh, no going back now.
cheers
Old 04-23-2008, 10:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

aussies1129 & British Menace could you guys post pics of your lipo conversions and pack info, physical size and mah? I've been wanting to do this but haven't founf a pack to do it with.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:23 AM
Tech Addict

lipos gives you an edge... be it in Tx or in Rx pack.

same here... "no going back"
Old 04-24-2008, 01:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by British Menace
Hello everyone,

Regards,
British Menace
You're not alone - we are experiencing the same problems

Not pleasant
Old 04-24-2008, 04:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

one thing to watch , i have found, is when i switched from old to new or new to old front steering hubs, they dont have the same turning radius. they stop travel on the pivot ball. this stalls the servo on full lock, and normally you are on the brakes also, this pulls down a pack quite hard, even had the same issues with lipo , till i found out what was going on. also if you narrow your front track width, make sure the hubs arent hitting the bottom arms on lock, same problem
Old 04-24-2008, 07:36 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Pattojnr
one thing to watch , i have found, is when i switched from old to new or new to old front steering hubs, they dont have the same turning radius. they stop travel on the pivot ball. this stalls the servo on full lock, and normally you are on the brakes also, this pulls down a pack quite hard, even had the same issues with lipo , till i found out what was going on. also if you narrow your front track width, make sure the hubs arent hitting the bottom arms on lock, same problem
Hi Patto,

Paul makes a very good point here and one easily overlooked or taken for granted. I also found on occasion, I had too much steering throw and, un-be-knowing to me, the servo was still trying to push/pull to turn more, but my steering was locked and was already on full lock!! This causes a huge draw on the battery, weather you run Li-Po or NimH !!

Also, don't overlook the throttle servo doing something similar too !! ........

Especially if your like me and like a car with V. good brakes What can happen is this.
When the brake lever has stopped, and all your doing is applying the max torque the servo can put out to the brake lever. This then causes the same situation as with the steering scenario above.........huge power draw from the battery.
This gets worse if you use a very high torque servo. You just draw more Amps from the battery!!
If you use a high power servo for the throttle/brake. You may want to consider putting a stiff spring on the rear end of the brake linkage too.
This will then still give you max breaks, depending on the strength of the spring, but you wont be using the max torque from the servo and hence you will cut back on the power draw from your battery!

Either that, or just dont use such a high powered servo

On the throttle side. Is just the same as steering. Make sure the servo is still not trying to turn when the throttle slide is already, all the way open. But also check that the brake linkage has not bound up to and preventing further servo arm movement! This could also cause a large power draw.

Either way, I heard the Spektrum pro requires a higher then 'normal' amount of power/ Voltage to work and if the battery pack can not maintain this "required" power to the receiver, thats wheb we get problems.

Li-Po's, it seams does seam to conquer the problem Although it does require a little "messing about" in getting them plus the regulator to fit.

I now have a 950mAh Li-Po in the same location as normal for the battery packs. Just with the opening in the top deck opened out a little more. But I have been able to house the regulator right next to, in tha same space as the receiver! One of the advantages of using the V. small Spektrum Pro 3500 It's so small you are able to get both in the receiver compartment.

Sorry for the long post guys....lol. Kind of rabbled on a bit. Sorry.

Regards,

British Menace
Old 04-24-2008, 09:07 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Pattojnr
what spurs are you refering to ? TM spurs come in (1st) 50-51-52 (2nd) 45-46-47 .
im guessing its a typo , but i thaught id ask anyway
My fault on the spur gear reference, I was still in RRR-EVO mode. I've been running the RRR for 2 yrs and just recently went to the G4RS so I do apologize for my error sir. I am currently running th 47/52 spurs at our local track and at the track in Houston I went to the 46/51 set of spurs. I have another buddy who is running the G4RS and he thinks he has a 48/52 setup on his car. I am not sure if there is a 48t 2nd gear spur but he said there is. Hope this helps.

G4RS

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.