Wiki Posts
Search

Team Magic G4

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 08:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lycan
Speaking of clutches...

What would cause the clutch to slip for a while then engage? The car is accelerating really smoothly but lacks that sudden engagment/acceleration and the engine sounds like its holding or maintain one certain rev range before the clutch finally grabs.

Running black spring with red upgrade shoes, etc and both weights with 0.7mm gap and 1.23mm tension. If find the less tension on the spring, the worse it gets but 1.23mm seems excessive.

Andrew
Dude, are you running the red clutch shoe itself or the red clutch weights or both? I wouldn't consider these an upgrade, but just harder material. The red clutch shoe is designed to give you more slippage then the black. Now Depending on your engines torque and set up, you might need to go to a softer clutch spring, like the kit bright yellow one. Maybe follow what Razzor said first and then if it still slip too much try a softer spring. If you still run into too much slippage, try the black clutch shoe. Hope this helps some.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:08 AM
Tech Elite

Thats correct what serpentd has said.
What we have found is that the harder 1.8mm springs dont like the larger clutch gaps ,i still think the .5 clutch gap will help.
Also note that the clutch will slip on the first lap or two as it warms up if you can call it that ,if its still slipping back off the clutch spring tension a bit.
The red shoe works well on med/high bite tracks.
If all else fails run the black shoe.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:20 AM
Tech Elite

Had a awesome day at the track today.
In the heats i had some hassles with engine but managed a good 1st heat and that qualified me for the 2nd in teh Bmains.
Weater was a big influence on the tune as it was overcast and cool and then after a while sunny and hot and the weather kept going back and forth like this.
Fortunately the finals arrived and due to possibility of rain we had 15min finals.

Finals got of great with me holding 2nd for first 3 laps until fellow G4S driver in 1st ran wide into the back straight and this opened the door for me.
I opened up a 11 sec lead on the 2nd place man until my first pit stop were I unfortunately flamed out.
My pit man got me started and and i resumed racing in 3rd position and 19 secs down on 2nd place man.
Luckily i had pace and made up 1 to 2 secs a lap to take 2nd and chase for 1st.
fter my 2nd pit stop which was awesome from my crew i manged to gain 3 secs on first place leaving me chasing a 7 sec gap.
1st place guiy finally succumbed to the pressure and pace adn made a mistake and left open track for me to get a 16sec win over 2nd place.
Car was a hand full in the heats as teh track was very loose but with chjages made to firm up front end and soften rear end car ran good in the final.
I am stoked with the win and will be chasing for the Amain placing at next meet.

In 2 weeks time its 2nd round of national series and I am getting my spare G4S ready.
Thanks guys for the posts here it makes a difference
Old 03-25-2007, 09:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by razzor
Thats correct what serpentd has said.
What we have found is that the harder 1.8mm springs dont like the larger clutch gaps ,i still think the .5 clutch gap will help.
Also note that the clutch will slip on the first lap or two as it warms up if you can call it that ,if its still slipping back off the clutch spring tension a bit.
The red shoe works well on med/high bite tracks.
If all else fails run the black shoe.
Thanks RAZZOR. Yeah dude, I haven't tried the red material yet, so thanks for the info!
Old 03-25-2007, 09:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

In the heats i had some hassles with engine but managed a good 1st heat and that qualified me for the 2nd in teh Bmains.
Weater was a big influence on the tune as it was overcast and cool and then after a while sunny and hot and the weather kept going back and forth like this.
Fortunately the finals arrived and due to possibility of rain we had 15min finals.

Finals got of great with me holding 2nd for first 3 laps until fellow G4S driver in 1st ran wide into the back straight and this opened the door for me.
I opened up a 11 sec lead on the 2nd place man until my first pit stop were I unfortunately flamed out.
My pit man got me started and and i resumed racing in 3rd position and 19 secs down on 2nd place man.
fter my 2nd pit stop which was awesome from my crew i manged to gain 3 secs on first place leaving me chasing a 7 sec gap.
1st place guiy finally succumbed to the pressure and pace adn made a mistake and left open track for me to get a 16sec win over 2nd place.
Car was a hand full in the heats as teh track was very loose but with chjages made to firm up front end and soften rear end car ran good in the final.
I am stoked with the win and will be chasing for the Amain placing at next meet.

In 2 weeks time its 2nd round of national series and I am getting my spare G4S ready.
Great job BRO!!!!! Glad to hear that you can keep your composure when the heat is on. This takes some time for people to accomplish. Sounds like you were the one putting on all the heat! SWEET. Anctious to hear how your race turns out next week man. Sounds like you and I are in similar situatons, where I am planning on attacking the A main dudes next week as well. I'm just finishing up my car now and almost ready to ROCK! Yeah Baby!!!. Again, Great Job razzor!
Old 03-25-2007, 11:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

I am running the same setup on my spare car but am running a .5mm clutch gap wich would help and possibly sort out your slipping problem.
Also back off the spring tension a lttle and start the tuning of teh clutch from a softer setting.
I have been running my clutch gaps .3 - .5mm (max) this works the best in all circumstances. I apply this to my 1/8 Serpent also! This also lengthen the live of the clutch shoe!
Old 03-25-2007, 01:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by casimirsa
I have been running my clutch gaps .3 - .5mm (max) this works the best in all circumstances. I apply this to my 1/8 Serpent also! This also lengthen the live of the clutch shoe!
I hear ya bro on the smaller gap sizes. I might actually have to double check mine now that you've mentioned it. Thanks man
Old 03-25-2007, 03:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

well done Razzor, great result. congratulations
Old 03-25-2007, 03:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Nice work RAZOR "SHARP" sounds like you had a great day of racing!!!

Keep it up champ!
Old 03-25-2007, 07:14 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Serpentd
Dude, what color clutch spring are you using? (bright yellow?) Also, how many threads are showing after you tightnen down the clutch spring? It sounds as though your clutch spring is TOO TIGHT. Clutches have a learning curve bro, so post away. Like you said, better to learn properly rather then screw stuff up. Which can happen easily with the clutch. Anyway, loosen the clutch spring until 1/2 to 1 thread is showing. Also, if you breakng in your engine, you will have WAY less power so you may need to back off the spring even more until you have the engine broke in properly. Please take your time with the engine break in, as a good break in will have much more power and last a LOT LONGER! It's hard to keep patients when your at this stage, but DO NOT rush dude! Let us know where you are with engine break in and your clutch settings so we can nail this down for you.
Hey Dude,

Loosened the tension on the Clutch spring and what do ya know, it now takes up a fair bit quicker so I was able to get my G4S moving for the first time!!!! Wicked! First time I have seen a Nitro powered car in action so was a real buzz. Now I am completely addicted. So far I have been following the Bess method of running the car for 2 - 3 minutes and then letting it cool to break the motor in. So far I have run the new motor for about 15 minutes and all seems fine. Only thing I have noticed is under full throttle the car seems to hesitate/gurgle before taking up. A bit of tuning required I think. Also the car is turning left far better than right so I think I need to make some adjustments to the toe.

Heading down to the local track for the first time this Saturday here in Perth and can't wait. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Hey Danjr, which track in Perth are you going to? If it's bayswater, then it will be closed on Saturday (we are only allowed to use the track once per weekend due to noise restrictions), but I'm sure you'd be welcome to come and race on Sunday. If you need more info then let me know.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:59 PM
Tech Elite

Razzor

May I just add my congrats' to you Razzor for what was obviously an enjoyable days racing.
That, right there, is what it's all about.
Savour the moment Razzor and I wish you plenty more in the future sir.

Regards
Menace
Old 03-25-2007, 10:18 PM
Tech Adept

CONGRATS TO RAZOR!!! GREAT JOB - GREAT ADJUSTMENTS!
Old 03-25-2007, 10:45 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Z00M
Hey Danjr, which track in Perth are you going to? If it's bayswater, then it will be closed on Saturday (we are only allowed to use the track once per weekend due to noise restrictions), but I'm sure you'd be welcome to come and race on Sunday. If you need more info then let me know.
Yeah its Bayswater, I thought it was every second Saturday but thats cool. I'd be keen as to come along Sunday and learn some stuff from you guys if thats alright. I've been on the website and had a look and sussed directions. I may not be able to race yet as I only have a Lola body and no transponder but I'd be happy to watch and maybe do some testing with my car.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:48 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Z00M
Hi Zoom, How many people attend the race normally in Perth ?

Once I lived in Sorrento, back then in 1991. I was a Curtin dude back then.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.