Community
Wiki Posts
Search

front lock diff vs gear diff

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 11:43 PM
Tech Rookie

Default front lock diff vs gear diff

Anyone know the difference between the two. I'm thinking of pulling out my one way and going with a lock or gear diff. Our track here is more box type then rounded. So the one way is not working for my type of driving. BTW, it's for my MTX 4 and also before I build my MRX 4 I'm also deciding on going the diff route. thanks
Old 11-27-2005, 12:42 AM
Tech Initiate

I have use them both and to lock the axel in front will get the best for me.
You can start breaking later when you have brake in all wheels, and
the car get more easy to drive.
But this will not be the best for everbody, try to find the best set up for you
i think will be good.
Old 11-27-2005, 12:56 AM
Tech Master

if you dont need breaks then generally a one way is faster than a spool(locked diff)..
the one way allows for the front tires to rotate at different speeds off power going into the corner and since the outer tire is traveling a farther distance through the corner than the inner tire, this is the fastest option, whereas the spool doesnt allow for the tires to rotate at different speeds, and this creates friction in the corner, scrubbing speed..

so.. a one way is faster but harder to drive and the spool isnt as fast but is easier to control..

I prefer to experiment until I find the right weight oil for the front diff.. that way I still have control and dont scrubb as much speed as a spool would..

I hope that made sense..
Old 11-27-2005, 01:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

it also depend on the track type. if ti is a wide open track, the one way will, be faster, because yuo generally need little or no brakes on big tracks. If it is a small track that needs brakes and a generally more aggresive setup, a spool can be better. but you must remember that 90% of a setup is dependent on th driver.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

On the tight track we usually run on here, we run the diff. We run 30,000 in the front diff and 10,000 or even 5,000 in the rear diff. It works out pretty well.