Serpent 705

Old 05-08-2003, 09:04 AM
Tech Regular

Default Purple tubing?

Originally posted by Accord
Also, does anyone know of any online hobby shops that have purple fuel tubing in stock? I can't find purple fuel tubing on any of the major online hobby shops like tower, horizon, etc.!
Accord,

The purple tubing that i got is made by Team Magic. Try www.microrcshop.com
they might have some purple tubing there.
Old 05-08-2003, 10:13 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks InitialD

So I can run 15/19 with the stock 45/49 and it will mesh?
Old 05-08-2003, 10:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey guys, I was thinking about picking up a 705 for racing to replace my Ofna OB4 pro (good car, but im looking for a more competitive race platform)

My questions were about the engine. I had my sights set at NovaMega SX12 5 port MS. After this past weekend of racing with Joel Johnson I need all the power that it can muster. Is this too much of an engine? The track we were at we were hitting 45-55 on the back straight in 2nd gear. I'm sure this engine could make that happen, what are your thoughts on the 3P turbo MS and the regular SX12? Will these be able to give me that launch and speed.

Thanks.. I know I would love the 705, I race a modded Xray evo2 and this is a very comparatable car but only nitro. Again, I have 2 years of experience with nitro racing and i'm looking to step up to the next level.
Old 05-08-2003, 11:56 AM
Tech Adept

Paulfitipauldi:

Please email me at [email protected]

amarc611 is continuing his fraud scheme on Ebay, and has made the problem worse.

I will also PM you.

Sorry to post in the forum, but it is important that Paulfitipauldi gets the message.
Old 05-08-2003, 07:23 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by chachi
Thanks InitialD

So I can run 15/19 with the stock 45/49 and it will mesh?
Yes it will mesh.
Old 05-08-2003, 07:43 PM
Tech Adept

Paulfitipauldi:

Please email me at [email protected]

amarc611 is continuing his fraud scheme on Ebay, and has made the problem worse.

I will also PM you.

Sorry to post in the forum, but it is important that Paulfitipauldi gets the message.
Don't worry Chachi,, You got PM!

Ciao!!
Old 05-08-2003, 07:49 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by Devin
Hey guys, I was thinking about picking up a 705 for racing to replace my Ofna OB4 pro (good car, but im looking for a more competitive race platform)

My questions were about the engine. I had my sights set at NovaMega SX12 5 port MS. After this past weekend of racing with Joel Johnson I need all the power that it can muster. Is this too much of an engine? The track we were at we were hitting 45-55 on the back straight in 2nd gear. I'm sure this engine could make that happen, what are your thoughts on the 3P turbo MS and the regular SX12? Will these be able to give me that launch and speed.

Thanks.. I know I would love the 705, I race a modded Xray evo2 and this is a very comparatable car but only nitro. Again, I have 2 years of experience with nitro racing and i'm looking to step up to the next level.
The only thing I'm going to tell you is,,,, Waooo!! what an engine!! ,, this engine is capable to get you anywhere you want,, great top end and great power coming out of the corners,, don't worry It will not dissapoint you!! And the most important thing ,, you have choose the best platform for him to perform!! 705

ciao!!!
Old 05-08-2003, 08:02 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Devin
Ummm, Joel Johnson... If you're racing with a name like that, then there is a high chance that it is not just the engine that maketh the speed of the car. It's the setup and the driver as well. Sorry but I don't mean to look down on your capabilities as I do not know your driving capabilities...

But anyway, the trick that I found to be most crucial to determine the launch and speed of the car is the clutch and gearing setup. The car needs to be geared correctly like when at the end of the long straights, the engine rpm should be almost at it's peak. As for the launch from standstill or from out of the corners, the clutch setup plays an important part. Smaller 1st gear pinions and higher internal drive ratios will help get the car off the line better.

I don't know this part for sure but I think Joel Johnson drives a Reflex NT. If on a moderate technical track with tight infields, they may have an advantage as their internal drive ratios are high giving them a very punchy car. Off the line they may have the advantage. Try then to gear the car as low as you can. If on a long sweeping track, I don't see why the 705 cannot go head to head with the Reflex in terms of launch and top speed...

The Reflex has an internal drive ratio of 2.53 versus the 705's stock internal drive ratio of 2 (or 2.14 with the optional pulleys). With the stock spurs and pinions, I think the car is putting 7.58 and 5.56 for the 1st and 2nd final drive ratios.

To answer your question engines, the 5 port MS version of the NovaMega is nice. I have no experience with their 3 port MS version but their normal 3 port is not so bad either. So many people have used the Rody tuned 3 port and 5 port versions and said that they were one of the fastest engines they have used to date. I have seen many run their cars with these engines and I would say that you cannot go wrong on them. If I were to start looking for a brand new engine, I would go with the RB Rody tuned.
Old 05-08-2003, 08:28 PM
Tech Adept

paulfitipauldi: got your pm. i will keep you posted.

centax clutch setup:

when adjusting the centax, does tightening or loosening the clutch retention spring nut cause the clutch to engage with more of a punch, or more smoothly?

how do you have your centaxes setup?
Old 05-08-2003, 08:59 PM
Tech Prophet

centax clutch setup:

when adjusting the centax, does tightening or loosening the clutch retention spring nut cause the clutch to engage with more of a punch, or more smoothly?

how do you have your centaxes setup?
If you tighten the clutch retention spring nut, the engine will rev higher before the clutch engages. This (to a certain extent) means that the car will have more punch.

The way I set up the clutch is by tightening up the clutch retention spring nut until I see no performance gain from it from standstill acceleration and acceleration out of the corners. If the engine revs very high before the car moves, loosen the nut till you get reasonable engine revs before the clutch engages.
Old 05-09-2003, 04:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally posted by InitialD
Ummm, Joel Johnson... If you're racing with a name like that, then there is a high chance that it is not just the engine that maketh the speed of the car. It's the setup and the driver as well. Sorry but I don't mean to look down on your capabilities as I do not know your driving capabilities...
No problem. I admit that Joel is a better driver than me.. I'm not a team driver by any means yet but I need a platform that will perform and the ofna showed me last weekend that it was about to be retired.

But anyway, the trick that I found to be most crucial to determine the launch and speed of the car is the clutch and gearing setup. The car needs to be geared correctly like when at the end of the long straights, the engine rpm should be almost at it's peak. As for the launch from standstill or from out of the corners, the clutch setup plays an important part. Smaller 1st gear pinions and higher internal drive ratios will help get the car off the line better.
I can play with gearing, that's no problem. Thanks.

I don't know this part for sure but I think Joel Johnson drives a Reflex NT. If on a moderate technical track with tight infields, they may have an advantage as their internal drive ratios are high giving them a very punchy car. Off the line they may have the advantage. Try then to gear the car as low as you can. If on a long sweeping track, I don't see why the 705 cannot go head to head with the Reflex in terms of launch and top speed...
For sure he does. He was the main player in designing the car. I have seen serpents this past race keep up with him no problem, it was his driving that was so smooth that put him in the lead, plus he was blazing fast with a modded crank/timing engine.

To answer your question engines, the 5 port MS version of the NovaMega is nice. I have no experience with their 3 port MS version but their normal 3 port is not so bad either. So many people have used the Rody tuned 3 port and 5 port versions and said that they were one of the fastest engines they have used to date. I have seen many run their cars with these engines and I would say that you cannot go wrong on them. If I were to start looking for a brand new engine, I would go with the RB Rody tuned.
Thanks for your input. Where could I find the stats on the RB Rody tuned Sx12? Is it much better than the MS 5P production model?
Old 05-10-2003, 08:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Hmm..I have a serpent impulse pro. I hope I can put up some post here...Loking to get a 705 myself ...soon I hope (Just bought a Raptor 30V2 LOL) Where can I get the best deal for the 705??

Ok...here is my question....I just looking at the car..and seem like the drive train is not so smooth at all. I found the problem from the main shaft (2sp driving shaft) some one it have a little drag in it after 1/4 of a turn...not sure what the probolem was??

Some of my friend said...if u get a light weight shaft...it will help the car lowend ?? is that true?? if so..where can I get those shaft??

I have NTC3 and the Serpent pro here...I likes both cars but...some how ...I felt better with the serpent...seem more stronger more planted to the track. Not that My NTC3 is worse..but..it perform the same way....but...it seem like I have to be more careful with the NTC3 than the serpent. Any how...please let me know where the best deal is?

Oh..also...looking to get myself a TRINITY SERIO.12 out law ...any one with any experience with this motor???
Old 05-10-2003, 08:57 AM
Tech Master

The lightweight shaft will help with acceleration as their is less mass to rotate.

You friction problem could be a bent shaft or when you tightened up the bulkhead you didnt do it evenly and you have tweaked the bulkhead somehow.

You should be able to order the shaft from Speedtechrc. As for the Sirio. Be careful. I was told that the crank pin has been really bad on all of the motors since last year. Really effects the engines performance.
Old 05-10-2003, 09:33 AM
Tech Adept

Superk,

I guess the best deal that you can get a 705 is in Ebay

Just My $0.02

ciao!!
Old 05-10-2003, 11:11 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by superk
Hmm..I have a serpent impulse pro. I hope I can put up some post here...Loking to get a 705 myself ...soon I hope (Just bought a Raptor 30V2 LOL) Where can I get the best deal for the 705??

Ok...here is my question....I just looking at the car..and seem like the drive train is not so smooth at all. I found the problem from the main shaft (2sp driving shaft) some one it have a little drag in it after 1/4 of a turn...not sure what the probolem was??

Some of my friend said...if u get a light weight shaft...it will help the car lowend ?? is that true?? if so..where can I get those shaft??

I have NTC3 and the Serpent pro here...I likes both cars but...some how ...I felt better with the serpent...seem more stronger more planted to the track. Not that My NTC3 is worse..but..it perform the same way....but...it seem like I have to be more careful with the NTC3 than the serpent. Any how...please let me know where the best deal is?

Oh..also...looking to get myself a TRINITY SERIO.12 out law ...any one with any experience with this motor???
superk,

I don't have any idea about the best deals for the 705. Perhaps Paul is correct that the Ebay is one of the best places to hunt for the 705... Then again, be very careful who you trade with...

The drive train being not smooth can be for a few things. The 6 x 10 x 3 bearings on the bearing block that supports the 2 speed shaft may be toast... Or the belts are too tight for some reason. Check the side belt tensioner.

To make sure and isolate the problem that the 2 speed shaft drive train (rear side) is the culprit, you need to disconnect the side belt. I find this easier to diagnose. I once thought that the brake disk was binding and it turned out the 6 x 10 x 3 bearing in the mid bearing block in the front was toast Or like like what modellor mentioned is the shaft is bent or not installed and aligned properly.

Anyway, you can get the hollow 2 speed shaft from Serpent. Part number is 9632. Due to the reduction is rotational mass from the hollow 2 speed shaft, the engine spools up faster.

The Sirio is a fast engine. The price is also attractive. However, I have heard also that the conrod is not reliable or strong enough.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.