Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 705

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2002, 09:03 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

Originally posted by Pyramid
I never played 1/10 GP before and going to get one very soon.

I think both 705 and mtx3 is the higher level of GP car (the rest are really junk judging by it looks) and I decided to go with serpent. Why? simply because its tank placement is in the center. Does anyone know why mugen design the fuel tank placement not in the middle???
2 words.....Belt placement!!!
Old 11-15-2002, 01:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)
Cool Re: Re: Serpent vs Mugen

Originally posted by dtm
Serpent raised the standards bar for Nitro TC......but fore fathers???? thats pushing the truth!!!!
Hhhhmmm.....wasn't Serpent came out first with the pivot-ball nitro touring car back in the day!?!?!
Then all other Mfg. jumped on the bandwagon.
Old 11-15-2002, 05:59 PM
dtm
Tech Champion

Default Re: Re: Re: Serpent vs Mugen

Originally posted by PUNISHER
Hhhhmmm.....wasn't Serpent came out first with the pivot-ball nitro touring car back in the day!?!?!
Your previous statement was "Fore Fathers of Nitro T.C".......not specific areas of the car's design........
Old 11-15-2002, 06:24 PM
Tech Champion

Default Re: Re: Re: Serpent vs Mugen

you wrong. BMT did !! it is a world of copying and no complaint
Old 11-16-2002, 06:17 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Serpent vs Mugen

Originally posted by Manticore
you wrong. BMT did !! it is a world of copying and no complaint
I was just getting to that...I didn't want to come out of the "TC" arena!!!!!
Old 11-16-2002, 07:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)
Lightbulb

BMT made a touring car?
Old 11-19-2002, 07:29 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

serp said we would have 705 in late december at the worlds, so no surprise, i would actually guess they will be later as to the dock worker strike and slowdown, it is affecting retailers huge......

what is up with hpi's site, it wil be a bummer to lose all that info....

the biggest advantage of the 705 is it will be stronger in the engine area , with the verticle carbon fiber and two mounting points much less chance for flex......

the xray front parts make the car corner differnet, gives the car more grip through the center of the corner, not a huge diff, but workds, cvd's do tear up end parts pretty fast( the plastic blade) as it was never intended to go through anywere near that much stress, i realy like how the car is with the xray stuff....

no durability issues on the 705, or the pro.. salvin pulled the top of his tank off( pin was offset and when the pit guy pulle dthe strap, pop, no more lid, and burch had the inner bearing on the two speed shaft failed, smoked and burned the brearign block until it no longer had gear mesh.......dumb luck realy, those same bearings lived through a qual were they assembled the shaft wrong and the brake was draging, when blackketter pulled the car the screw on top of the brake lever was smoking and discolored....... burch also ran the same motor in th efinal as he ran at roar nats.....

? just trying to put rumors to bed, my impulse with lightweight shafts, otherwise pretty stock, lightened two speed and centax( custom milled) was right at the legal limit.... so if it got any lighter it would need weight added like the mugan stuff,

if anyone is looking for a car, i have my practise , spare car on ebay.... same name email me if you have questions... good to see everyone is still talking, winter has set in here and i am looking to getting on the snowmobile and doing actual racing between my buddies, was going to go to winternats , but do to family circumstances do not think i camn make it now... bummer, was going to be my madin 705 voyage.....

waiting for firm realease date on update, but recommend the pro for parkinglots, the new two speed is not covered and will be hard on oneways( unless they come up with some covers......setups and performance will be real similar....
Old 11-24-2002, 08:41 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by ammdrew
? just trying to put rumors to bed, my impulse with lightweight shafts, otherwise pretty stock, lightened two speed and centax( custom milled) was right at the legal limit.... so if it got any lighter it would need weight added like the mugan stuff,
Andrew, what lightweight shafts did you use? Is it the Impact inner driveshaft adapters light version for the front one way diff (808223)?

You mentioned previously that you were using Impact solid axle because they were more reliable. Did you use the optional 808372 solid rear axle set light? Does this come with the 47T? If it is, then what is the part number for the 46T pulley to go with the Impact solid axle? 808371? I believe the Impact type rear dog bones (808325) is needed when using Impact solid axle.

Are you also using hollow shaft on the mid bearing block (808253)? If you did, you would have to use the Impact / Vector type mounting pulleys for the 16T mid pulley and 24T side pulley.

Also, any pics of the "customed milled" Centax? What mods did you do to it?
Old 11-24-2002, 10:25 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Serpent 705 Parts List

Don't know if anyone else noticed this but Serpent put up a parts list for the 705. It's available at Mytsn under the 705 product page and can be downloaded as a Microsoft Excel file from the download area.

Just some preliminary observations of mine;

Some of the parts are designated new but they are not. Example are the shock springs, Impact anti-roll bar, Impact 22T brake pulley among others.

Interesting to note is have Serpent gone to 22T at the brake pulley instead of 23T? No 23T pulley was listed. I thought they would have used the 9614 MK-2 aluminum brake pulley adapter but instead came out with a new part.

I'm also wondering what are they using to secure the pulleys (at mid bearing block and at the 2 speed shaft side pulley). This was not listed too. The Impact uses 2 pieces of the aluminum pulley adapter 808265 for the mid bearing block and the aluminum pulley adapter 19t MK-2 for the side 18T pulley in which I'm currently using in my Impulse.

The ironic thing is that the "official" mid pulley upgrade (801350) for the Impulse PRO uses Vector 16T (909236) and 24T (909244) pulleys with Vector aluminum pulley adapters (1 x 909250). However, both of these Vector and Impact type pulleys / mountings uses the Impact shaft 808252 or the hollow one 808253. The 705 however has a new part number for this middle shaft.

Serpent could have standardised all this and used the same...
Old 11-24-2002, 11:16 PM
Tech Rookie

So when is this car supposed to come out?
Old 11-24-2002, 11:38 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by UndrGrndRziztnz
So when is this car supposed to come out?

hope its sooner then later
i have my Pro on the market for sale now so if its sold and the 705 still isnt released by early December i may have to look elsewhere
Old 11-26-2002, 09:03 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally posted by InitialD
Andrew, what lightweight shafts did you use? Is it the Impact inner driveshaft adapters light version for the front one way diff (808223)?

You mentioned previously that you were using Impact solid axle because they were more reliable. Did you use the optional 808372 solid rear axle set light? Does this come with the 47T? If it is, then what is the part number for the 46T pulley to go with the Impact solid axle? 808371? I believe the Impact type rear dog bones (808325) is needed when using Impact solid axle.

Are you also using hollow shaft on the mid bearing block (808253)? If you did, you would have to use the Impact / Vector type mounting pulleys for the 16T mid pulley and 24T side pulley.

Also, any pics of the "customed milled" Centax? What mods did you do to it?
oneway drive cups stock pro part, rear solid standard impact solid with 46 impulse gear.. i used impact middle and rear hollow shafts, i used impact pulleys at the rear, and a vector front pulley on the side belt impact on the inside belt, would have liked to use the 1/8 scale part on the rear but could not find( more space between reciever and belt, not a big deal, i also ran my reciever in a balloon( something i normally do not do) but had a lot of fuel in the reciever issues, this shoud be better with the 705 as the reciever will move in front of the tank....... the cetax cut down ooks just like the new optional one for the 705, and for the two speed, basically it is just all cut up cemetrically, if i pull it apart i will take some pics( we are done for the season, onto snow stuff) ... and yes the rear impact dogbones must be used that is what i find more durable than the impulse ones but would run each just have the impact stuff...
Old 12-02-2002, 05:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

'bout a month away till release date
Old 12-02-2002, 05:22 PM
Tech Master

According to my sources, (in Holland), Serpent are releasing the 705 in December. But only a handful are being sent out and these are all bought already. He also told us that we mere mortals have to wait until January before the second batch will be ready. The hold up is to do with one of the Serpent tools malfunctioning. Nice to see they postponed just to offer us a fully functional car.

Roll on January...
Old 12-02-2002, 05:53 PM
Tech Master

BMT made a touring car?
No, but they produced the first ever car that came with pillow ball suspension, floating body mounts and a year later the first ever 3 speed gearbox.

And I still have that first car (The BMT891). They were the only team who ever hit the market and left Serpent sitting like dead ducks in their first season.

I personally run the GT4 but I recently heard that the new car they have coming out is not for 200mm IC so as they are slipping I am jumping ship to Serpent. Will keep the Yok though for club racing but I'll be running my Serpent at the European Championships and hopefully the Paris Memorial next October.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.