Serpent 705

Old 09-30-2003, 07:48 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: 5th body post

Originally posted by apmk
Pls tell me what good dose it do to have a fifth body post.
What good does it do? Everybody uses them so it must be good right? It started from the AE team drivers modifying theirs at the 2002 IFMAR world meet in Cincy... Team Magic decided to incorporate it in their G4 and lately, Ralph Burch also used it in the recent 2003 US Nats on his 705...

Anyway, as the 5th body post supports the front of the body shell better and supposedly gives better high speed stability as the body shell does not bend or warp at high speeds.
Old 09-30-2003, 07:54 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Schrijver99
Lawndoggie: You can use the 15 spoke Fast Tires or get Ellegi(they have the original serpent size).ATS tires also fit.
Otherwise get the FC blocks and you can use all front tires, but beware of your rear tires, the new Fast Tires 12 spoke are also to smal for your rear!
Yes I agree that the FC steering blocks somewhat gives you a better selection of rims that you can use but I find that front tires like Speedmind still rubs the steering linkage ball joints if the track has a fast sweeper. Somehow, the tires flex a little and rubs against the ball joints.

Jaco Nitro Shoes tires will fit fine in the rear as well as in the front with the stock front steering knuckles.
Old 09-30-2003, 10:13 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: 5th body post

Originally posted by InitialD
What good does it do? Everybody uses them so it must be good right? It started from the AE team drivers modifying theirs at the 2002 IFMAR world meet in Cincy... Team Magic decided to incorporate it in their G4 and lately, Ralph Burch also used it in the recent 2003 US Nats on his 705...

Anyway, as the 5th body post supports the front of the body shell better and supposedly gives better high speed stability as the body shell does not bend or warp at high speeds.
Now that I have the Dogde Stratus body, I could also do with a fifth body post. The body isn't so rigid where the windscreen meets the bonnet which leads to a lot of flexing.
I have previously used Alfa and Opel Vectra bodies and these bodies seemed stiff enough not to flex so much.

Cheers, Mark.
Old 09-30-2003, 11:02 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: 5th body post

Originally posted by markp27
Now that I have the Dogde Stratus body, I could also do with a fifth body post. The body isn't so rigid where the windscreen meets the bonnet which leads to a lot of flexing.
I have previously used Alfa and Opel Vectra bodies and these bodies seemed stiff enough not to flex so much.

Cheers, Mark.
Yup... You are right about the Stratus having a softer front bonnet. I was actually trying to point out that it will not hurt even if you think you do not need it. Anything good done on the car should account for some good things. Hell, we try to strive for perfection !
Old 10-01-2003, 07:33 AM
Tech Apprentice

Has anyone tried to use Impact centax clutch with Impact 2 speed (15/49, 18/46) and Impact rear solid axle on Impulse Pro or 705?
Any ideas? I have Impact and 835......so I wanna try those parts on my 705. If it's not a good idea, let me know.

BASED ON THIS LINK...
http://www.mytsn.com/publ/publ.asp?pid=7186
Old 10-01-2003, 08:01 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by ksrcracing
Has anyone tried to use Impact centax clutch with Impact 2 speed (15/49, 18/46) and Impact rear solid axle on Impulse Pro or 705?
ksrcracing, the Impact centax clutch is what we use on our Impulse if we wanted to use a Centax. On the Impulse, the only difference is that instead of the 36 mm flywheel, we have to use the 38 mm flywheel which is used on the Vector / Veteq ! The Centax II clutch on the 705 uses a 35 mm flywheel. In order to use the older Centax I clutch on a 705, I reckon that you just have to switch to the smaller flywheel (35mm) in order to avoid the flywheel scrapping on the tarmac.

The difference between the 2 speed from the Impulse Streetspec / Impulse PRO and the 2 speed from the Impact (which is the same as the Vector / Veteq) is the harder 2 speed clutch shoe springs (6626) versus the softer one found on the Impulse (801412). Also, the Impulse Streetspec / Impulse PRO uses the 801420 50T 1st gear spur instead of the 49T (9649) 1st gear spur from the Impact. The 2nd speed spur from Impulse Streetspec / Impulse PRO is only available at 47T (801417) whereas the ones from the Impact are 46T, 45T and 44T. If you use the Centax, you need to use spurs meant for the Centax to mesh properly. You can still use the 50T spur from the Impulse Streetspec / Impulse PRO but you may need to tilt the engine slightly to give it metter mesh. Also, the spurs will not line up correctly with the Centax pinions. The 705 and all the newer LC lightened 2 speed gearbox includes this heavier 6626 spring.

If you want to use the older Impact gearbox on the 705, you need to change the 2 speed main shaft and use the one from Impact as the holes will line up correctly. You need to use the older Centax I clutch in order to line the older 2 speed spurs properly. In any case, why do you want to change from new technology to old technology?

As for the Impact solid axle, you can use it direclty on the 705 without having the need to change the dogbones as they are already having the same dogbone size as the Impact / 835. If you want to use the Impact solid axle on the Impulse, you need to change the dogbones to the ones from Impact / 835 (808325) or you can even use the ones from the 705 (801323) which are a little softer as the Impact / 835 ones are made from Hudy spring steel.

Any ideas? I have Impact and 835......so I wanna try those parts on my 705. If it's not a good idea, let me know.

BASED ON THIS LINK...
http://www.mytsn.com/publ/publ.asp?pid=7186
Yes, most of the parts on 705 are already taken from the Impact. The 705 and the 835 shares many common parts and they are interchangeable.

Based on the link you gave, the pulleys on the Impact, the 835 and the 705 are all the same. Just make sure you when you change the internal pulleys, the ratio is correct.

I believe the only difference in the pulley mounting style is on the 18T rear side pulley of the Impact / 835. They use the MK2 aluminum pulley adaptor 9619 instead of normal 808265 aluminum pulleys adapters that is used to mount all pulleys on the 705.

Hope that helps and if you have any more questions, please fell free to shoot.

Last edited by InitialD; 10-01-2003 at 08:30 PM.
Old 10-02-2003, 08:11 AM
Tech Apprentice

InitialD: Thanks!!!!

One last question.....Rear solid axle will do what to my 705? My 835/Impact (4WD) is great with rear solid axle....
Old 10-02-2003, 08:02 PM
Tech Prophet

One last question.....Rear solid axle will do what to my 705? My 835/Impact (4WD) is great with rear solid axle....
What body were you running with the 835/Impact? Mytsn has this to say about the solid axle on the Impulse / 705;

Replacing the rear planetary differential it allows the car to have more on power steering whilst allowing more acceleration. Another affect of this rear axle is that it removes off power steering. A perfect cure for a car with too much over steer.It is advisable to only use the axle on high grip tracks due to its driving characteristics.

I would also think that when using a rear solid axle with a one way front, the braking will be even better as the rear will not swap ends.
Old 10-03-2003, 07:27 AM
Tech Apprentice

InitialD: I use Body Lola VDS V2 1/10 for my 835. It's high bite track......great traction.....Base on the quote.....that's what I really want....I will use rear stuff from 835 on 705 this weekend.

THANKS
Old 10-03-2003, 08:13 AM

Originally posted by Schrijver99
gear adjuster? maybe diff adjuster
No you still need the balls, it only replaces one ring (leftside)
About removing that diff plate and replace with plastic diff adjuster, that what I tought I've done in mine as it is makes sense (as with both plates, it would make no sense to me).

Well, after trying to rebuilt, I found that I still have to complete diff plates on both sides. Try to remove one plates (on the diff adjuster side) I see the is no way that plastic diff adjuster (mounted with 3 screws on diff gear) could hold the balls. They all falling inside... Could you please clarify further? Even in mytsn described it is an add on to your existing already smooth running diffs (if not mistaken).

Thanks
Old 10-06-2003, 08:33 AM
Tech Apprentice

I tried the solid axle at the rear.......LOVE it......Great traction at TFB Raceway (www.tfbraceway.com)
Old 10-06-2003, 09:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

I tried the solid axle at the rear.......LOVE it......Great traction at TFB Raceway (www.tfbraceway.com)
Not good enough to beat me, HAHAHA! Just kidding, though. You did great in the 235 A-main this week. The other guys were working me as a spotter .
Old 10-06-2003, 09:32 AM
Tech Apprentice

Proficar403: Thanks for your help....I'm trying to have my 705 to run like 835 next time.....Ready for the next weekend?....
Old 10-06-2003, 05:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Proficar403: Thanks for your help....I'm trying to have my 705 to run like 835 next time.....Ready for the next weekend?....
Oh yeah, I'll be there. I have a few changes that Fernando suggested I make to my car.
Old 10-06-2003, 11:43 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by Pyramid
Well, after trying to rebuilt, I found that I still have to complete diff plates on both sides. Try to remove one plates (on the diff adjuster side) I see the is no way that plastic diff adjuster (mounted with 3 screws on diff gear) could hold the balls. They all falling inside... Could you please clarify further? Even in mytsn described it is an add on to your existing already smooth running diffs (if not mistaken).

Thanks
A you using the pulley that came with the diff adjuster? Cause i have and see no problems with mine. Are the screws turned in al the way?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.