Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 705

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 06:13 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Update Set to 705

For some of you guys who have been asking, I noticed that on Serpent USA's site (www.serpent-usa.com) that they have the update set to 705 (801182) for USD 139.95. Clearing old stock? Original price was USD 215.85. I think it's a pretty good buy for you guys who are probably looking for spares.

Anyway, the thing is the sale ended end of August but I don't know if they can still give to you at that price. Check it out.
Old 09-04-2003, 07:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Thanks for the heads up on the sale D!!

Yeah, yeah, yea................I know my chassis isn't in the best shape however, I'm not worrying about tweaking my chassis any more!!
Old 09-04-2003, 07:37 PM
Tech Regular

initial-d..

1. did u get the hex wheel adapter with grub screws locally ? have been asking around but no luck.

2. wanna get a front gear diff ? i got mine from thomas. all i can say is..i have brakes n yes it' comes in handy (esp 4 a beginner like me)

3. so can anyone confirm if futaba n sanwa rx/tx thingy works. i'm having a 3pk with pcm. can i buy the sanwa rx311 (i think) to work with my 3pk pcm ? is futaba n sanwa crystals interchangable ?
Old 09-04-2003, 08:06 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by PUNISHER
Thanks for the heads up on the sale D!!
No problem... Funny it takes someone from the other side of the world to point out

Anyway, I was calculating and I think just for the 3 mm chassis, upper carbon fibre radio deck, tank, rear bulkheads etc, the price is pretty good

Originally posted by PUNISHER
Yeah, yeah, yea................I know my chassis isn't in the best shape however, I'm not worrying about tweaking my chassis any more!!
That doesn't mean you can go around bulldoze and take other cars out around ya
Old 09-04-2003, 08:33 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by pokemon
1. did u get the hex wheel adapter with grub screws locally ? have been asking around but no luck.
No, not locally. Ask Thomas and he could probably get for you.

Else, get extra stock hexes. I believe they are like 11 mm wide if I'm not mistaken. If you have a machine shop, you can grind them down to the required size.

The other method which you can do is to change your rear upper arms to the adjustable ones from 950. That way, you can adjust the rear track width. Useful especially if you want the rear trackwidth to be under 200 mm and still run toe in -3 and -4 camber.

2. wanna get a front gear diff ? i got mine from thomas. all i can say is..i have brakes n yes it' comes in handy (esp 4 a beginner like me)
Yes, brakes... Was thinking about the front gear diff since I have not tried it yet. It would come in handy on those small tight tracks. Same goes for sloid front axle but then it is pretty weak. Yes, brakes are useful but I'm actually accustomed to driving using minimal brakes. I guess I need to first set the car differently and change my driving style a little if I want to start to use front diffs.

3. so can anyone confirm if futaba n sanwa rx/tx thingy works. i'm having a 3pk with pcm. can i buy the sanwa rx311 (i think) to work with my 3pk pcm ? is futaba n sanwa crystals interchangable ?
My common sense tells me that the same make of crystals should be used. I guess you can use Sanwa crystals on Futaba Rx and Tx. I don't think Futaba Tx will work with a Sanwa Rx though. I may be wrong.
Old 09-04-2003, 08:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default 950 upper rear arms

InitialD
Haven't been here for a while.
Will the 950 upper rear arms fit the Impulse/705 rear bearing blocks with out any modifications? And part #'s please
Thanks Roy
Old 09-04-2003, 09:06 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: 950 upper rear arms

Originally posted by RoyU
Haven't been here for a while.
Yeah, we miss you too

Will the 950 upper rear arms fit the Impulse/705 rear bearing blocks with out any modifications? And part #'s please
Still keeping your old faithful Impulse or are you already on 705 steriods?

You need to do some modifications in order to get it to fit. For me, I had to cut a lot out of the 950 upper rear adjustable arms. Take a look at the pics I posted a while back. Part numbers are 902303 and 902304.

I don't have details but it's a no brainer mod. The pics should give you an idea. Just make sure you compare arm lengths of the stock Impulse and cut accordingly. Cut the arms shorter as the adjustable arms can still be extended to change the rear trackwidth. I use a shorter stud compared the one provided as it was too long.
Attached Thumbnails Serpent 705-rear_adjustable_arms_2.jpg  
Old 09-04-2003, 09:07 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: 950 upper rear arms

Another.
Attached Thumbnails Serpent 705-rear_adjustable_arms_3.jpg  
Old 09-04-2003, 09:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: 950 upper rear arms

Originally posted by InitialD
Another.
InitialD
Thanks for the info. Still got the Impulse 4 years old and going. Was going to get the 705, waiting to see the new Serpent

Wonder if Serpent USA wil extend the sale for the 705 conversion?

Thanks again Roy
Old 09-04-2003, 09:48 PM
Que
Tech Adept

Default Hey Initial D

Can you tell me if your car handles better with the floating rear mount with touring car bodies. Also does any one think i will be able to fit the Novak switch syntheisized receiver into the 705
Old 09-04-2003, 10:21 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Hey Initial D

Originally posted by Que
Can you tell me if your car handles better with the floating rear mount with touring car bodies. Also does any one think i will be able to fit the Novak switch syntheisized receiver into the 705
Theoretically, the floating mount would provide most efficient transfer of downforce from the wing to the rear tires via the rear uprights. Using normal stock TC body mount post would result in some of the precious downforce lost when it compresses the chassis and the shocks. This would lead to the car's suspension geometry being different when the car is fast and when the car is slow. Anyway, just my theory I particularly use this type of mount especially on high speed tracks and I find that the rear end is pretty stable on high speed sweepers.

The downside of using this type of body mount is that you can only use up to a max of 3 mm on the rear upright spacers.

I will ask a friend of mine if he used the Novak receiver on his 705 because I saw him using it on his other cars.
Old 09-04-2003, 10:29 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: 950 upper rear arms

Wonder if Serpent USA wil extend the sale for the 705 conversion?
Give them a call. I guess if you get one of them and tell them how faithful you are, you'll definitely get one shipped for free Don't quote me on that one

But seriously, if you talk to one of them, I would not see why they cannot extend the sale. Good luck and come back to update us will ya?
Old 09-04-2003, 10:49 PM
Tech Adept

Default M* & Futaba rx

Originally posted by serpentracer1
Believe it or not I have a friend of mine thats a national champ who used to use this setup all the time he said that they found that using the futaba reciever has a stronger and faster signal with the m8 so Ive used it ever since
Are you saying that M8 tx can actually work with Futaba rx and it work better?

Do you know of any specific model of the Futaba rx or just any model will do of course at the same frequency....

Cheers!
Old 09-05-2003, 12:14 AM
Tech Prophet

Default New 2-speed shoe-set LC II

I forgot to add to my collection of pics today. I assembled the new 2 speed shoe material which includes the addition of the small grub screws at the end of each shoe assembly. Will test it out this weekend (crosses fingers)
Attached Thumbnails Serpent 705-new_shoes.jpg  
Old 09-05-2003, 02:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

cool see that ya got the new shoes yea mine are on thie way been waiting aweek for them.

Damn guys I didnt mean to start the radio thing up but all I can tell you is what I know.

I have an m8 and use the std.futaba reciever with it I can use either futaba or airtronics crystals with it as long as the tx and rx are the same

To my knowledge I tried to use a(futaba) pcm reciever with my radio m8 and it didnt work from what I under stand the pcm puts a certain signal out and can be use by a radio with pcm thats why pcm radios have a switch to go back and forth between pcm and std. so you can use both recievers with the radio

Hey D have you tried the heavy duty or super heavy duty clutch spring from mugen I was told to try them and I would notice a huge difference

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.