Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 705

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2002, 09:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

you wouldnt know about how much an upgrade package for the pro is gonna cost do ya? also what items are usually needed extras for someone racing an impulse? (like arms, hub carriers, ect) How is serpents prices per parts? (like price per arm, hub carriers, ect) Would it be a good idea to buy a used impulse pro for a parts car?
Old 11-07-2002, 02:37 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by racerfreedxxxs
you wouldnt know about how much an upgrade package for the pro is gonna cost do ya? also what items are usually needed extras for someone racing an impulse? (like arms, hub carriers, ect) How is serpents prices per parts? (like price per arm, hub carriers, ect) Would it be a good idea to buy a used impulse pro for a parts car?
Well, rumour has it that the upgrade package will be at cost like what Serpent offered to the old Veteq owners who got the 02 upgrade kit <crossing fingers>.

No, you won't get the new lightened 2 speed gear nor will you get the new Centax II clutch or the Ball Diff for that matter. Their total cost itself will make it unattractive to upgrade from the PRO to 705.

The spares that I usually carry are the front knuckles, front upper and lower arms. If you race clockwise, I believe there is a tendency to break things on the left side. And yes, do not forget the front 16T pulley and front belt.

Serpent parts are rather on the higher side but they are more durable and last longer. If you're gonna get a used Impulse PRO for spares, then make sure that the car is in good condition and you can get it cheap.

Besides, when you race the Impulse reasonably on a normal track, you'll tend to notice that the parts that break are only a selected few that I mentioned above due to occasional knock here and there. So getting a used ImpulsePRO for spare parts may / may not be a good idea since you do not need all of the parts on it.
Old 11-07-2002, 06:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

racerfreedxxxs, steering blocks, upper bumper brace, front drive shafts, and upper arms are the parts I think I have replaced the most. Though this was while mostly running on a "Pipe" track, not Joyce.

I notice that from the pics of the Paris Memorial that Ralph is running the X-ray front suspension parts on the 705 also. I still haven't heard a definate answer on why he runs the X-ray parts. I have heard weight savings, different suspension geometry, or maybe just personal preference? Any thoughts on that?
Old 11-07-2002, 07:35 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by JBrake
I notice that from the pics of the Paris Memorial that Ralph is running the X-ray front suspension parts on the 705 also. I still haven't heard a definate answer on why he runs the X-ray parts. I have heard weight savings, different suspension geometry, or maybe just personal preference? Any thoughts on that?
Ummm, ok, didn't noticed that...

First off, it's CVDs No more problems with dogbones popping out... Secondly, with a one way front diffs, the drivetrain is more efficient and smoother action with the CVDs. Drivetrain is also lighter and has less unsprung weight due to smaller bearings used i.e. 10x15x4 instead of the normal 10x19x5.

Also, with the usage of XRay steering knuckles, it somehow creates some kind of wide off-set which gives more steering to the car.
Old 11-07-2002, 11:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)
Cool

Ralph is still running the X-Ray front-end suspension on the 705 also??
It may be a personal preference on that one!!

Anyway, InitialD thanks for the Impulse thread v.9 here!!

HPI SUXS!!
Old 11-07-2002, 04:42 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by PUNISHER
Ralph is still running the X-Ray front-end suspension on the 705 also??
It may be a personal preference on that one!!

Anyway, InitialD thanks for the Impulse thread v.9 here!!

HPI SUXS!!
No problem Just need a few more and maybe we'll rope in people like Andrew over here.

Yep, I think the HPI name is somewhat synonymous with the word "sucks".
Old 11-08-2002, 09:40 AM
Tech Adept

What foams fit the 705? Can I use Jaco or Mugen Fast tire on it?
Old 11-08-2002, 10:05 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Craig
What foams fit the 705? Can I use Jaco or Mugen Fast tire on it?
I don't have any experience with foams. What works on the old Impulse should work fine with the 705. Maybe someone else could enlighten you. If the HPI Serpent forum was alive, it would have been easy for me to find out by searching through previous discussions. It's a pity that I've yet to burn foams with my Impulse...

Anyway, I believe Fast is coming from GRP, so is Ellegi. Both should be identical... So they should work. Don't know about Jaco.
Old 11-08-2002, 11:31 AM
Tech Master

Craig, you should have no problem runnin up to a 26mm 0 offset wheel on the front and a 30mm 0 offset wheel on the rear. I personally run the GRP brand foams and have no problems with them, I am not familiar with the JACO foams though. Anything more than a 30mm wheel and you may encounter rubbing problems on the shock. Hope that helps.
Old 11-08-2002, 02:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)
Thumbs up

Jaco foams should work......they use the same rims on Super G's and I run Super G's!!
Old 11-13-2002, 02:02 AM
Tech Prophet

Angry Serpent 705 Availability

Ok, the Mugen guys have already got their MTX-3

So the million dollar question is why has 705 not reached the masses yet?

Serpent managed to put a few 705s to race in Ohio (which was not the case with the MTX-3 as it was not ready). That was how many months ago?

Ironing out the small problems? Are they saying that a kit like MTX-3 is full of holes because it can come out earlier and faster to the masses?
Old 11-13-2002, 12:05 PM
Tech Master

Serpent USA is saying the 705 will be available late December early January.
Old 11-13-2002, 01:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

The jaco foams or "nitro shoes" are made with GRP rubber. (it doesn't say so on the box but they are)
Old 11-13-2002, 01:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

Oh yeah and the reason why serpent is so much slower is because they bottle neck their distributor here (serpent usa) to increase prices. I personally don't know how you guys can still put up with serpent products when there are other viable alternatives avalible to you. (yes i do have an impluse and yes it is shelved)
Old 11-13-2002, 02:03 PM
Tech Adept

So, with this car and the mtx-3 coming out at the reletively same time, which one do you think will be the bigger hit?

more importantly than being a bigger hit, which one do you guys think will handle, and perform better?

cause clearly when the first impulse came out with the first mtx-2, the impulse was the bigger hit, yet the mtx-2 was clearly leader of the touring cars

just kidding yall, but seriously, which one do you think will be the better car?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.