Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 705

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2003, 10:21 AM
Tech Master

Heck, one of my biggest gripes with the StreetSpec is that if you need to do anything with the RE engine, you have to either disconnect the header, or remove the RE chassis brace with the engine... Honestly, I never understood why they came up with that design. I seem to like the new approach for chassis stiffening. That, and the fact that you can now use the Impact rear sway bar setup (more adjustability). Since I live in Miami, I got to see the Serpent USA drivers running the Impact swaybar setup about a year ago (before the Pro was released), but at the expense of having to remove the braces. They told me that it wasn't as big a deal with the Impulse, but obviously, it was important enough for Serpent to take the "VETEQ" approach to chassis stiffening.
Old 01-13-2003, 07:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Weight issue

I am eager to know what is the weight of this 705.
Can any1 tell me your 705's weight? yeap, including engine, pipe, servos, electronics...etc...etc...
thanks in advance........
Old 01-13-2003, 07:27 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by TurnNBurn
Heck, one of my biggest gripes with the StreetSpec is that if you need to do anything with the RE engine, you have to either disconnect the header, or remove the RE chassis brace with the engine... Honestly, I never understood why they came up with that design. I seem to like the new approach for chassis stiffening. That, and the fact that you can now use the Impact rear sway bar setup (more adjustability). Since I live in Miami, I got to see the Serpent USA drivers running the Impact swaybar setup about a year ago (before the Pro was released), but at the expense of having to remove the braces. They told me that it wasn't as big a deal with the Impulse, but obviously, it was important enough for Serpent to take the "VETEQ" approach to chassis stiffening.
Well if you look at the pictures of Ralph Burch's Impulse PRO at the Nat last year, you will see that Art Carbonnel modified the left side brace like the one from Wolfpack. No need to dismantle the left side brace to take the pipe manifold / engine out.

I think now the 705 has even less of a space around the engine. You need to carefully navigate the engine out when you need to take it out from the chassis. Very little spacing around it. Just enough. I don't know if it will fit bigger based engines like the Pixy. But then again, I agree that taking out engines are easier now... But not if you need to access the rear drive train.

Say if you need to take out the rear ball diff, you need to unscrew the left and riht side braces connecting to the rear bearing block / bulkhead. But before you can access the screw on the right graphite brace on the right rear bearing block, you need to take out the 2 speed gear assembly to be able to access this screw behind it. Only then can the whole rear assembly be taken off the chassis. When you get the 705, you'll know what I mean.

If you look at mytsn, there is an article on how to mod the Impact rear brake plate to fit in your Impulse and use the aluminum side stiffeners at the same time.

And yes, I kinda like the "veteq" approach of stiffening the 705. Neat and effective. I think we all know that chassis stiffening is important on any car.
Old 01-13-2003, 09:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

i shall be racing against the 705 this weekend.. will keep you guys posted on how well it goes..

impulse street spec /pro vs 705 on a tiny technical track.

hehehe

i still see the big super long purple rear wheel hex... on the 705.. i always wonder how they are going international with a rear width over 200mm at 2deg toe in?

i bet my money the factory guys has some mod parts on the rear to bring it in to 200mm.. to pass the legal BOX test.
Old 01-13-2003, 09:15 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by fuse01
i shall be racing against the 705 this weekend.. will keep you guys posted on how well it goes..

impulse street spec /pro vs 705 on a tiny technical track.

hehehe

i still see the big super long purple rear wheel hex... on the 705.. i always wonder how they are going international with a rear width over 200mm at 2deg toe in?

i bet my money the factory guys has some mod parts on the rear to bring it in to 200mm.. to pass the legal BOX test.
Ummm, has more 705s landed in SG?

The 705 when set correclty, will have better acceleration out of the corner than the PRO. I've compared both with the same pinion and spur teeth for the "old" Centax on the PRO and the newer Centax II.

The 705 I believe is also more nimble in and out of the corners. So the only thing that will make the difference is on the Tx side which is YOU Good luck and please post your own observations.
Old 01-14-2003, 01:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

yupz the 705 is our shores... i personally have not seen the real thing till coming sunday..

will check it out before hand
Old 01-14-2003, 08:38 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by fuse01
yupz the 705 is our shores... i personally have not seen the real thing till coming sunday..

will check it out before hand

fuse01,

Where do you get your Serpent parts in SG? Is Hobbylink (Far East Plaza) the only Store that have Serpent parts? Would like to visit it when i'm back there in Feb.
Old 01-14-2003, 08:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

yupz , thats the shop.. look for uncle SAM.. he is the boss there..
Old 01-14-2003, 09:38 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks fuse01.

Looking at Singapore Forum, saw someone post that there is hobby store in Jurong that carry Serpent?

you have PM.
Old 01-14-2003, 11:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default RCspeedway

Originally posted by nizee
Thanks fuse01.

Looking at Singapore Forum, saw someone post that there is hobby store in Jurong that carry Serpent?

you have PM.
In Jurong, there is only 1 shop called RCspeedway dealing with Serpent and X-Ray. It is basically the branch of Hobbylink of Far East Plaza. There is a track down there just right in front of McDonald's. Look for Mr Pele Tan, nice chap...
Old 01-15-2003, 07:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Re: RCspeedway

Originally posted by RClover
In Jurong, there is only 1 shop called RCspeedway dealing with Serpent and X-Ray. It is basically the branch of Hobbylink of Far East Plaza. There is a track down there just right in front of McDonald's. Look for Mr Pele Tan, nice chap...
How are the prices there compared to here in the U.S.A.? Is there a web site I can look at?
Old 01-15-2003, 07:37 AM
Tech Regular

Default Re: Re: RCspeedway

Originally posted by Pit-racer
How are the prices there compared to here in the U.S.A.? Is there a web site I can look at?
Pit,

Their website
http://www.hobbylink.com.sg

But it doesn't show any price. According to some folks there, its slightly cheaper. I will PM you and Mike once i'm there getting some price for comparison.
Old 01-15-2003, 01:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)
Default Re: Re: Re: RCspeedway

Originally posted by nizee
Pit,

Their website
http://www.hobbylink.com.sg

But it doesn't show any price. According to some folks there, its slightly cheaper. I will PM you and Mike once i'm there getting some price for comparison.
That would be great Nizam!!

see ya
Old 01-17-2003, 07:54 PM
Tech Elite

I will be purchasing the 705 in the very near future. Are there any hop-ups that are needed right away to get it to performance level?
Old 01-17-2003, 08:04 PM
Tech Master

From what I've seen of it, you won't need squat! The only possibilities might be:

a) a solid front axle as an optional replacement to the front one way. Depending on the track, MAYBE you might want to pick up a front diff assembly, but for most applications with foams, you may not need it.

b) optional sway bars for the rear. I believe that they have like 3 different sizes, not to mention the adjustable rear sway bar (although it was recommended that the bars in that kit be replaced with a pair of the front male sway bars since they are thinner).

c) of course, optional gear ratios for the Centax II

That should do it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.