Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
SMP Slide...Just picked one up...What's the deal with these?? >

SMP Slide...Just picked one up...What's the deal with these??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SMP Slide...Just picked one up...What's the deal with these??

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 04:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default SMP Slide...Just picked one up...What's the deal with these??

I just picked one of these up.... Can someone tell me a little something about these cars?? Not much on them on line.
I'm into off road cars so I have no clue as to what's what as far as on road cars go.
I just saw this thing sitting on the shelf at the local hobby shop and after seeing it there over the course of the last couple of weeks, I just couldn't resist scooping it up earlier today....It's practically brand new....Was told it hasn't even been fully broken in.....
Any info would be appreciated...

Some pics.....
Attached Thumbnails SMP Slide...Just picked one up...What's the deal with these??-image.jpg  
Old 02-13-2016, 04:14 PM
Tech Regular

Attached Thumbnails SMP Slide...Just picked one up...What's the deal with these??-image.jpg  
Old 02-13-2016, 04:16 PM
Tech Regular

Old 02-13-2016, 04:20 PM
Tech Regular

Old 02-13-2016, 06:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

did you have a look to homepage of this manufacturer?
http://www.smp-slide.ch/
The car was made in Switzerland, some years ago. That time, it was a good car.
LM
Old 02-14-2016, 03:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

It was a great car. I'm guessing about 10 years ago it was around. It wasn't made for very long as it was very expensive to run and was a pain to maintain because it was mostly alu it bent easily if hit and it was difficult to find the issues. There are also shear points on all the arm attachment points which break very easily. Be careful if you run the car as I doubt you'll find many spares around.
Old 02-14-2016, 05:10 AM
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The Slide appeared in the late 90's, it had a very thin battery battery below the fuel tank. at that time, cars like the Vector had the battery on its side between the tank and pipe.

spares are an issue, like mentioned already, the pivot balls were the weak point. but a $6 pivot ball was better than a bent $40 arm. although I did manage to bend a few arms.

I forget what tires it used in the rear, but it may be the old serpent offset. the rear belt is another hard to fit piece.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:38 AM
Tech Regular

It sounds like i might have bought an expensive desk ornament....

I was gonna ask about wheels/tires....Does anyone know what wheels fit on these....
Also,are there similar bodies to that out there?? I like the look of the bigger cab this car has on it.

If i end up with buyers remorse, are they a hard sell?? Is there a market for them??

On one side im like "ill shine it up and have an awesome looking collectors piece" ...... on the other im like "i really shouldnt have spent that much money on a whim on something i wont use" ..... Thats rc for you.
Old 02-14-2016, 09:35 AM
avs
Tech Master

As for its worth, there is a vintage collectors thread that might have some info.

The Porsche 962 body is still in limited supply, (i think there is a 2wd class in Europe that it might be popular with). Check ebay for "Porsche 962 1/8". but I expect you will bend a pivot ball before you need a new body.

As for the hobby shop you got this from, I think I would have words with them if you were led to believe you were buying anything more than a desk ornament.
Old 02-14-2016, 11:03 AM
Who
Tech Adept

How much did you pay ????
Old 02-14-2016, 04:14 PM
Tech Regular

Actually, when I got it I pretty much had the idea that I wasn't gonna be using it too much. The owner of the hobby shop is my friend. He was actually telling me to look for something else instead, that I could run........But......I was just attracted to that kit. (I think I might've opened up a can of worms cause now I'm thinking I need something current to run)

.........Today I picked up a different motor for it.....(like I said, I opened up a can of worms).......Well, actually the deal is still pending but I have it in my possession.....
I figure if I spend a bunch of money on something that's just gonna sit, I might as well waste a few more bucks and have it sitting pretty. ....
Anyway.....I've never done on road and never done nitro either so I don't know what I'm doing ......So I picked up this Novarossi ...... JP modified??? I think it is....
Here's a pic......
How is this motor???

Thanks

Last edited by NickTheGreek; 02-14-2016 at 04:27 PM.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:32 PM
Tech Regular

Has a serial number.....is that from it being modified??.....
What's the deal with these??

Am I rockin n rollin' with a good set up???
Old 02-14-2016, 04:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

The are very rare for one. The quality is beyond belief, just take the one way bearing in the 2spd. These days yes it's best put on display, and as stated earlier they ran best with the 962 high tail body. It requires the older OS1 wheels. It's pretty much the crown jewel of 1/8IC when development was high in the 90's, the Serpent Veteq being the other. There are many still looking to buy one, and wait a long time. If you get a hold of SMP, they still carry a few spares, and if you want to run it, run an off road 3 port, not a hot 7 or 9. The 3 ports are comparable to the old 7 ports of the past.
Old 02-15-2016, 02:08 AM
Tech Adept

1/8 IC Fan is 100% correct. Best is to clean it up and shelve. Way to nice to run.
Old 02-15-2016, 04:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NickTheGreek
Has a serial number.....is that from it being modified??.....
What's the deal with these??

Am I rockin n rollin' with a good set up???
Jean Paul modified Novarossi 2000 series engine. Was a good engine in its day and is the right era for the slide. Clean it all up and shelve it for now. Might be worth something in 10 years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.