Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newbie questions...

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2002, 07:19 PM
Tech Rookie

Newbie questions...

OK, I am new to r/c nitro cars but I’ve read and know enough to buy one. For my first car, I want to start off with some expensive, powerful, fast non-rtr kit. I think I can handle the responsibilities of building and taking care of it. I have a few questions before I do this though:

· I am going to get a fuel filter. How do I clean it? Do it rinse it in fuel and add the oil to it, or no oil?

· How do I use after run oil? Were do I apply it?

· The kit does not have a pullstart, How do i start it?

· Do you think the Proceed is a good car?: Reasons?
Old 10-27-2002, 07:47 PM
Tech Master

okay, I'm sorry, but I have to say, DO NOT get the proceed as your first car. No matter how much you thik you know, getting into 1/8 onroad cars as your first venture into rc is not the smartest.
As kits go, I say get the Yokomo GTR4 RTR, but since you don't want to get an RTR, I say get a good Nitro touring car.

Okay on to the rest:

First of all, for fuel filters, make sure you install it only in one direction every time you use it. This way, when you take your fuel filter apart to clean it, you spray nitro cleaner or denatured alcohol into the filter in the opposite direction that fuel flows through it. Then put it back in the car facing the same direction. This way no debris gets into the engine. And don't use oil.

After run oil is put into the engine crankcase through the glow plug hole, and carb then you turn the engine over several times. and put the gow plug back in place.

For engines without a pullstart, we use starter boxes to turn over the flywheel. They are sentby god, because they are so much less irritationg then pullstarts. They use a wheel to bump the flywheel and turn over the engine's flywheel. People stay away from these because they cost about 120 total for the whole box. And this is a cheap estimate. Some of the boxes themselves cost over $100., but they are well worth it if you have a car that can use one. But all onroad cars are capable of using these, so no problems.
Old 10-27-2002, 08:29 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Thanks

Thank you alot for the awnsers, you cleared up alot of questions. I know people do not suggest the Proceed as a first car, but I do not know why. Can you give me a couple of reasons that:

- Do not involve money.
- Do not involve anything about complicated assembly.
Old 10-27-2002, 08:59 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: Thanks

Originally posted by MaStErOfPuPpEtZ
Thank you alot for the awnsers, you cleared up alot of questions. I know people do not suggest the Proceed as a first car, but I do not know why. Can you give me a couple of reasons that:

- Do not involve money.
- Do not involve anything about complicated assembly.
Do you think you could handle the speed? They can go over 70 mph in less than 2 sec.s

Is there a place you could run it at? You do need alot of room to run the 1/8th cars

Is there parts support for the car? Does your local hobby shop supply parts or do you have to order them on-line
Word on the streets parts a scarce even at BUY HPI

Well money should be an issue, you will need, if you run 1/8th
Engine $250-500

Tires lots and lots of tires Foams don't last

Tire truer $ 250 +

Set up gauges, can't eye ball these machines

and a large assortment of spare parts, things break when someone hit a solid object at over 50mph.

I would get a touring car, there are lots out there that are verry good and less exspencive to get into, but then I do have a V one R I soaked about a grand into
Old 10-27-2002, 09:30 PM
Tech Master

Plus, driving an RC car is difficult when it is coming staright at you, you have to learn which way is the right way to turn in this instance. I gave my radio to a kid who said he wanted to try driving it. My car was a RS4 so I didn't really care. He got it, but when he came back, he nailed the curb because he didn't know the right way to turn. With a 1/8 scale car, a brush like this causes agony, b/c it might end your day of fun. I say this because I presume you don't have a 1/8 scale racing facility near you because they are hard to come by when compared to touring cars, because everyone has one.

like the other guy mentioned, money, really has to be concern unless you are a millionaire times 5.
car 500
engine 280+
pipe+manifold 100
starter box 120-160 (w/ all accesories)
tire truer 250-400
arbor for truer 30
set of tires 50-60 (and they go FAST)
battery 30
battery charger 100+ (if you want a good one)
radio system 200 (con't go for anyti\hing cheaper on this car)
servos x2 100-200

That is big bucks to start out with and I forgot basic stuff like fuel and other necessities.

However, the beggest point is, unless you have a track, there is almost no point to these cars. You can't run them in most parking lots, b/c its just stop and go. And parts are hard to come by unless you are in a 1/8 scale racing area, so you'll have to pay for shipping everytime you need parts. and you'll have to wait a while.

No matter what you say, 1/8scale cars are confusing.

I don't recommend them unless you've tuned regular engines because these are even more difficult to tune then .12's and there are so many adjustments. And since these cars are made for more experienced R/Cists, they are known as being quite devoid of the best instructions that are common in Tamiya kits.

Use 1/10 scale nitro touring as a stepping stone to 1/8 if you are really intent on racing it.

I suggest Kyosho's V-one-s or the V-one-R. I own a Mugen MTX2 and they make the 1/8 scale on road world champion, but their instructions suck and I hate to be bland but if I were to have problems, you would have a couple more.

i suggest you ask this question to those in the 1/8 scale forum in the larger scale Bulletin board. They will tell you what is needed better because they actually run these missiles.
Old 10-28-2002, 05:02 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Thanks

Cool
Old 10-28-2002, 03:06 PM
Tech Rookie

Cant i just go slow with the car? im pretty sure it isnt all or nothing, (Slow meaning 15 - 25 mph) (Decently slow: 25-45)??
Old 10-28-2002, 03:06 PM
Tech Rookie

Or ill just make the engine lean on fuel and tune it to go slow.
Old 10-28-2002, 03:25 PM
asd
Tech Addict

leaner means faster
Old 10-28-2002, 03:41 PM
rjl
Tech Fanatic

Go to your local hobby shop and ask them for recommendations, then go to your nearest club and see if they run classes for beginers. Get the same as the others in the entry class and learn.
If all you want is to see a car explode at the end of your street go and get a 1/8th scale.
Old 10-28-2002, 03:43 PM
asd
Tech Addict

well pit rjl
Old 10-28-2002, 03:47 PM
rjl
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Newbie questions...

OK, I am new to r/c nitro cars but I’ve read and know enough to buy one. For my first car, I want to start off with some expensive, powerful, fast non-rtr kit. I think I can handle the responsibilities of building and taking care of it. I have a few questions before I do this though:

· I am going to get a fuel filter. How do I clean it? Do it rinse it in fuel and add the oil to it, or no oil?

· How do I use after run oil? Were do I apply it?

· The kit does not have a pullstart, How do i start it?

· Do you think the Proceed is a good car?: Reasons?
You're joking, right?
Old 10-28-2002, 05:58 PM
Tech Rookie

I decided to get 3 cars. I am going to get Savage 21 truck, The RS4 Type SS, and HPI - Proceed. Most of you helped make my decision, and I just wanted to see all of you opinions...

HEYALIGNMENTGUY
Im2lazy

Fuck you:
RJL
(You don't have to have experiance to build and race cars; any moron can do that, It takes commen sence and a brain, what you don't use.)
-- Just caz you started off with a electric 1wd nikko r/c toy, It dosn't mean everyone is as slow as you are. I am starting off big and going bigger.

You're joking, right?
Oh, cmon' how old are you?
If all you want is to see a car explode at the end of your street go and get a 1/8th scale.
IM TOO SKILLED FOR THAT TO HAPPEN
Old 10-28-2002, 06:01 PM
asd
Tech Addict

u dont think rjl has any experience? is that why he's such a good driver and knows a crapload of info? u think ur startying off biger and better? is that why he has a vone r?(lol, i doiubt u even know what a v one r is)
and i have a questoin, why all hpi's? why not go for "better brands" that actually put effort and quality into their kits?

and one more thing, prepare to be banned

I decided to get 3 cars. I am going to get Savage 21 truck, The RS4 Type SS, and HPI - Proceed. Most of you helped make my decision, and I just wanted to see all of you opinions...

HEYALIGNMENTGUY
Im2lazy

Fuck you:
RJL
(You don't have to have experiance to build and race cars; any moron can do that, It takes commen sence and a brain, what you don't use.)
-- Just caz you started off with a electric 1wd nikko r/c toy, It dosn't mean everyone is as slow as you are. I am starting off big and going bigger.

Oh, cmon' how old are you?

IM TOO SKILLED FOR THAT TO HAPPEN

Last edited by asd; 10-28-2002 at 06:04 PM.
Old 10-28-2002, 06:14 PM
Tech Addict

You think u can just jump straight into a 1/8th?
Those things go like rockets, i'm still really a begineer when it comes to these things, listen to these guys.
I thought i was full and raedy for the V-One S when i stepped out of my RWD 540, But Its hard enough keeping it in a straight line cause it basically wants to 4 Wheel drift down the straight, and then i went to my local track and do you know how hard it is negotiating turns for your first time, let me tell you it isnt easy, and you really can't tune one of these engines to go slow, u can tune it to choke which is not healthy, or u can tune it to starve which makes it work harder go quicker, and not ahve a long life.

Go and buy a 1/10th,
My V-One S is stock and it gets to around 70-80km/h (43-50m/h) and it is hard enough yet alone a car doing 130km/h (80m/h)
Get a 1/10th and listen to these guys, they have been in the sport for ages and they know what they are talking about.

It would take a few of the good guys to adjust to driving a 1/8th and they know how to handle them.

Plus from the 1/8th guys they have been talking about having to adjust under and over drive, do you know how to do this? You probably dont. and there a whole lot harder to look after then a 1/10th.
So as advised above get a 1/10th

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.