Search

SP Racing Tires Good or Bad?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 06:02 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default SP Racing Tires Good or Bad?

Good day all.

I run GT class nitro and electric with a Kyosho inferno GT2. I currently use GRP S3 with great results but recently came across SP Racing on road GT tires. I am interested I giving them a try but unfortunately cant find much reviews on their on road tires. I see their off road tires have good reviews though. So I was wondering, have any of you tried them? I know they have only been available in the US for about a year now

I am from the Caribbean, and we race on medium grade asphalt in hot (tropical) conditions and the track is sometimes on the dirtier side.

Thanks for your time.
Old 10-24-2015, 07:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I have a set of SP racing tires and wheels I use on my Losi8 V2 sometimes, V pattern. I chose the medium winter compound and have been super pleased with grip on pavement even in temps close to 100. My son in California went with GRP soft winter compound slash pattern and recently blew out 2 tires on a speed run Kyosho Inferno, last clocked at 85mph, but they blew when going faster than that, but it was unclocked. I suspect they got too hot. BUT the company stood behind them and replaced them. Something you never see these days.

When my tires warm up, they feel almost sticky to the touch, but still rather firm. My only gripe is they are shorter than the stock Losi 8 buggy tires and I have to regear (bigger pinion) to run them. Mine are approx 3 3/4 inch tall.
Old 01-20-2016, 01:14 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Spookie, thanks for your feedback. I have had the opportunity to run 3 race meets with them and I must say, I was quite pleased. I run the summer soft competition threaded tyre and I must say the grip was very comparable to the GRP S3, if not equal (maybe even better).Didnt have the opportunity to run on the same track to compare lap times. I will be giving the summer mediums a try next. So if anyone was considering, I say give them a go, I don't think you will be disappointed. They also have a very good customer support. I bought from deltaplastics on ebay.