Community
Wiki Posts
Search

servo problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2002, 04:30 PM
Tech Rookie

Default servo problem

I have a question for the pros on here. I have been running my tg10r for acouple months now. I have a problem with my throttle servo going out. I have went though about 5 in the last month. I have checked everything i could think of, batt, reciever, end points, rubber under the servos with no luck . The servo just dies on me the gears aren't stipped or nothing the motor just goes out. I have tried acouple different brands of servos with differnt specs. I have no clue what to check. I have also used some servos from my other cars that have always been good for 1 plus years for them just to go bad in a day. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Chris
Old 10-27-2002, 06:31 PM
Tech Master

are you setting the servo's endpoints correctly? otherwise your servos will get fried, but that does not seem to be the problem, because they work well in your other cars.

This is a very difficult question. Have you seen your LHS about this one? Youshould if you haven't.

I guess you could switch your whole radio system from your other cars, rather than just your servos. If this helps, then I suggest that you send in all the stuff you took out of the tg10r.

Other than that, I can't think of anything else right now.
Old 10-27-2002, 06:38 PM
Tech Rookie

I was at the track today when in happened acouple from the lhs was there. They looked at it the couldn't figure it out either. They also hooked me up with a new servo it lasted about 30 min. I don't have a clue. Thanks again. If i figure it out i let everyone know.
Chris
Old 10-27-2002, 09:39 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by christop
I was at the track today when in happened acouple from the lhs was there. They looked at it the couldn't figure it out either. They also hooked me up with a new servo it lasted about 30 min. I don't have a clue. Thanks again. If i figure it out i let everyone know.
Chris
Your servos may be subjected to very high amounts of vibration. Either that or there is something wrong with your receiver.

Have you tried changing your receiver? What Tx/Rx are you using? What brands of servos have you tried?
Old 10-27-2002, 09:52 PM
Tech Master

Yeah, find some of those rubber servo pads that come with the servos.

i totally agree with initial D

Plug in your servos into a different TX and RX and see how it goes. if this fixes it then send your TX and Rx into the manufacturer.
If you can find someone with HiTecs diagnostic system, the servo programmer that noone else seems to know what it does, then they can point out the area that is your problem.

i burnt out three throttle servos in 2 months, and it turned out that vibration had jarred parts of the servos internals loose. i.e. a soldered on chip came off.
Old 10-28-2002, 02:59 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for all the help. I have tried hitec, futaba and jr servos. I going to try a new radio system out. I have a 3pdf system in it now. Thanks for the help. I'll let everyone know how i come out.
Old 10-28-2002, 03:53 PM
rjl
Tech Fanatic

I find throttle servos don't last that long but if ever I have radio probs. it goes to the local radio technician for checking and repair.
My radio is about 7 years old and I rarely have issues.
Old 10-29-2002, 03:04 AM
Tech Master

Throttle servos must get a lot of vibrations through the linkage to the carbeurator( I finally spelled it right ) arm. It is true that they don't last as long as the steering servos, but they sould last a minimum of two years if they are brand new, not 30 minutes.
Old 10-29-2002, 07:57 AM
Tech Master

i have never run any more than a bottom of the line basic servo for throttle and have NEVER had a problem
Old 10-29-2002, 01:13 PM
rjl
Tech Fanatic

I know, it seems that expensive servos last inversely proportional to the price?
Old 10-29-2002, 05:51 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the help. I'm going to get a new radio system for my tg10r tomorrow. The recievers i have tried in my car all have been futaba. But i have tried fubaba, jr and hitec servos. I only thing i can think is that this car just don't get along with futaba radio gear. I know that sounds stupid but my 3pdf system works fine in all my other car. I'll let everyone know on how i make out. Thanks again.
Chris
Old 10-29-2002, 07:44 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by christop
Thanks for the help. I'm going to get a new radio system for my tg10r tomorrow. The recievers i have tried in my car all have been futaba. But i have tried fubaba, jr and hitec servos. I only thing i can think is that this car just don't get along with futaba radio gear. I know that sounds stupid but my 3pdf system works fine in all my other car. I'll let everyone know on how i make out. Thanks again.
Chris
Are you using the same Futaba Rx (receiver) in all your cars? One or several receiver units?

If you have several units each Futaba receiver unit specifically for each car, then it could be that your receiver unit on the TG10R is faulty.

If you only have ONE Futaba receiver unit that you would evertime take out and share it with the other cars that you would want to drive, then I don't know why it would not work on the TG10R where on other cars it works.