Wiki Posts
Search

O.S. .12 TR question...

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2002, 02:18 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default O.S. .12 TR question...

This is a question for anybody out there that has the O.S. .12 TR engine...

Does it come with an exhaust gasket? The ad in RCCA shows it with a gasket, but the ones I saw on display in the LHS didn't have one on them. And the pictures of them on Towerhobbies site, doesn't show a gasket either.

Thanks...

Last edited by Darkseid; 10-14-2002 at 02:22 PM.
Old 10-14-2002, 02:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

it come with a exhaust gasket or exhaust seal ring (OS's offical name) and OS Super 103 air filter
Old 10-14-2002, 02:34 PM
Regional Moderator

Thanks boner
Old 10-17-2002, 08:34 PM
Tech Initiate

i got this engine and !IT SO FAST!
Old 10-18-2002, 11:35 AM
Regional Moderator

Thats good to hear. But my main reason for going with O.S. is their reputation for reliability. I'm going to be putting this engine in a Reflex NT next season, and I just want it to run well. I'll worry about speed after that!
Old 10-18-2002, 12:13 PM
Tech Master

if you want reliability get an RB. I've been trying and trying and cannot seem to wear them out.
Old 10-18-2002, 12:38 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by patelladragger
if you want reliability get an RB. I've been trying and trying and cannot seem to wear them out.
Why or what is it that RB is different from the rest? Wouldn't RB = Novarossi = NovaMega?

I thought although RB was french, it is still made in the Italian factories of Novarossi, spotting the same internals and crankcase design, lest the RB stamp? All of them are made by Novarossi.
Old 10-18-2002, 12:59 PM
Tech Master

i'm for sure you're right they are all made by novarossi. But they are different. I'm not a builder so i can't tell what is different about them - but something is because they run different. I have an rs12 turbo, it's more a top-end motor that needs to rev. My rb x12 3 port has the same specs but is much more punchy off the bottom. I had a mugen mt12 - it had the most punch of the bottom of any of them - but they're all novas. Maybe the timing is different - I dunno - maybe the experts around here can tell you.

I cannot say that the other novas are any less or more reliable than the RB, because I have not ran the dog out of them like I have these RB.

Basically I have some 3 port x12 turbos and I came across an awesome deal on 5 port piston/sleeve's for them. So I've been trying to my darndest to wear one out so I can put the 5-port sleeve in - problem is it just keeps getting better.
Old 10-18-2002, 01:25 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by patelladragger
i'm for sure you're right they are all made by novarossi. But they are different. I'm not a builder so i can't tell what is different about them - but something is because they run different. I have an rs12 turbo, it's more a top-end motor that needs to rev. My rb x12 3 port has the same specs but is much more punchy off the bottom. I had a mugen mt12 - it had the most punch of the bottom of any of them - but they're all novas. Maybe the timing is different - I dunno - maybe the experts around here can tell you.

I cannot say that the other novas are any less or more reliable than the RB, because I have not ran the dog out of them like I have these RB.
Engine life is mostly dictated by the % castor oil and the engine temp. My guess is that you're probably running them within the optimum operating parameters which should give you longer life out of the engines.

If you take a look at the crankcase, the crankshaft and the piston / piston sleeve of the 3 or more Nova motors, you'll notice that they are exactly the same. What is probably different (no expert here) could be the carburator. I was told that Novarossi carbs are slightly different than NovaMega.

Anybody can confirm this?

The MT-12 being a long rod type of engine, has the characteristic of being very good at bottom end. Short rod type motors like the RS-12 and RB X12 tend to give better top end.

That's the general rule but with mods and timing changes, you can make any motor do anything On a stock unmodified motor, playing around with the low end needles (front and the rear brass screw) will give you very different characteristics altogether and will determine how strong your low and mid. I would think that is why your RB gives different kind of characteristics than the RS-12.
Old 10-19-2002, 04:08 PM
Tech Master

Default os12tr

I just bought the ZAC modified os12-tr not run in yet but I will keep advised......I saw these non-turbo ZAC engines at the Meca
event at Mingara and they were super competitive against turbo engines.
Attached Thumbnails O.S. .12 TR question...-zac-os12-tr-s.jpg  
Old 10-21-2002, 08:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I have been using a OS TR in my NTC3, with excellent results. The thing I love most about OS engines is that you can be 1/4-1/2 turn off on your needles and still make good power. The reliability of the engine is top notch. Normally where I race we run 10 min mains, and 1/2 of the field wont make it past 5-6 min due to engine flame outs, overheating, ect.
Not that I'm bashing Novarossi, They make unreal power, but they require more needle massaging to make them sing sweet.
Old 10-21-2002, 04:05 PM
Tech Initiate

what is a zac modified?
Old 10-21-2002, 11:24 PM
Tech Master

Default Zac Project

OK as far as I know Zac Project are a small Japanese company who are distributed only through Kawahara.

http://digilander.libero.it/kawahara/main2.htm

As far as I can see only the engine case is original OS but to see the real work look at the photos on the website..Left hand menu -zac.

GT.

Last edited by squizzytaylor; 10-21-2002 at 11:28 PM.
Old 10-29-2002, 08:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

how much do they cost for the zac TR?
Old 10-29-2002, 08:23 PM
Tech Master

Default ZAC os12-tr

Mine cost aussie$430.00 but the guy I bought it from imports from Japan direct and tends to be a fair bit cheaper than most lhs'
who ever does Kawahara where you are should have access to them.

Re-Performance.

One word....BALLISTIC

This thing makes my Novarossi seem stationary, and I do love my Novarossi.
Very tunable, heaps of lowend grunt and top end is off the planet
I rang the shop I got it from and allthough no figures are quoted he estimates 1.3hp from the sport version and 1.4hp from the race version. The key difference being the race has more bottom end with the top end performance having no notable difference.
Running in was a dream allthough after the first setting change the suburban driveway was no longer an option as the Centax was set a little too high and the holeshot of the car was uncontrollable (ill remember that next club drag day!).
I would encourage anyone to look further into these.

gt