R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-19-2015, 07:03 AM   #61
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: indpls,ind
Posts: 1,387
Default

Wow!! Roelof, that car was destroyed!!!!
nitrohead5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 07:57 AM   #62
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 158
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Hello fellow RCers. Im pretty sure by my sig, you'll know which way I swing when it comes to this subject. Just happened to be scrolling and came across it. So I'll just input my personal views and this is just my 2 cents. Yes, electric is fastest by all means with off the shelf parts and such but all of my cars except for the twin buggy were built with off the shelf parts that anyone can buy online. The equation is knowing what to get and where. Nothing at all was custom made on the others. I wont take anything from Mard Davidson because he is a hell of a nice guy which I met at the 2009 ISC challenge and currently holds the speed for the fastest nitro but his car was purpose built for a single pass at 120 which is basically what Nic Case does with his 200mph beast. My personal cars are all built to run and run and run. Even my 115mph nitro car which is capable of making 7-8 passes before the tank is on E. So, since Im the kind of person that likes to actually play with my RCs for hours at a time and is also into speed, I stay with nitro. I can go out and play all day with my 80-90 nitro buggies and make countless passes without a worry instead of making 2-3 passes and worry about overheating or discharing a battery. And yes, I have video and a current ROSSA record to back it up.
__________________
100mph is easy (with batteries)
117mph nitro HPI Racer2
115mph gas FG
107mph twin nitro buggy
99.61mph nitro buggy (ROSSA speed holder IC open wheel)
Gt100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 08:23 AM   #63
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: indpls,ind
Posts: 1,387
Default

I think another difference between nitro & electric is as soon as you punch the throttle on an electric you get full power and max rpms it takes a while for nitro to do that. You need a longer distance for nitro to reach its top end speed than electric. Look at the tether cars that use a nitro motor they have to run around a circle quite a laps before the motor can reach its top rpm so the car attain its top speed..
nitrohead5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:48 PM   #64
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Bay Area, Cali
Posts: 574
Default

Rc cars that can go this fast are far from toys and need to be used responsibly. I always make sure there is no one walking up and down my street before bashing. I live on a pretty smooth, long , and quiet street but I rarely go over 90 mph since my street is not quite long enough.

When I do actual speed runs I go to a nice quite half mile long street in an industrial area where almost no people or cars are at the times that I go. I usually use about a 1/4 mile per speed run and use probably almost a 1/8 mile to stop.

You can have a fast and powerful rc car and be responsible at the same time.
tc4basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 01:00 PM   #65
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: indpls,ind
Posts: 1,387
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt100 View Post
Hello fellow RCers. Im pretty sure by my sig, you'll know which way I swing when it comes to this subject. Just happened to be scrolling and came across it. So I'll just input my personal views and this is just my 2 cents. Yes, electric is fastest by all means with off the shelf parts and such but all of my cars except for the twin buggy were built with off the shelf parts that anyone can buy online. The equation is knowing what to get and where. Nothing at all was custom made on the others. I wont take anything from Mard Davidson because he is a hell of a nice guy which I met at the 2009 ISC challenge and currently holds the speed for the fastest nitro but his car was purpose built for a single pass at 120 which is basically what Nic Case does with his 200mph beast. My personal cars are all built to run and run and run. Even my 115mph nitro car which is capable of making 7-8 passes before the tank is on E. So, since Im the kind of person that likes to actually play with my RCs for hours at a time and is also into speed, I stay with nitro. I can go out and play all day with my 80-90 nitro buggies and make countless passes without a worry instead of making 2-3 passes and worry about overheating or discharing a battery. And yes, I have video and a current ROSSA record to back it up.
..................How are you doing GT100?? Fine I hope you got any special projects brewing?? I have a winter project I can't get finished thanks to the RC Gremlin I had to replace my radio before I could continue. Oh well, good luck with your future speed attemps.
nitrohead5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 01:06 PM   #66
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: indpls,ind
Posts: 1,387
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4basher View Post
Rc cars that can go this fast are far from toys and need to be used responsibly. I always make sure there is no one walking up and down my street before bashing. I live on a pretty smooth, long , and quiet street but I rarely go over 90 mph since my street is not quite long enough.

When I do actual speed runs I go to a nice quite half mile long street in an industrial area where almost no people or cars are at the times that I go. I usually use about a 1/4 mile per speed run and use probably almost a 1/8 mile to stop.

You can have a fast and powerful rc car and be responsible at the same time.
...............What you are doing is great it shows you are responsible. But we need to have RC parks like in Europe so we can have stands barriers and fences so we can keep the spectators back a safe distance and protect against accidents.
nitrohead5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 01:28 PM   #67
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Bay Area, Cali
Posts: 574
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrohead5300 View Post
...............What you are doing is great it shows you are responsible. But we need to have RC parks like in Europe so we can have stands barriers and fences so we can keep the spectators back a safe distance and protect against accidents.
I live in the bay area, CA and we cant even get a drag strip built for real cars even though street racing runs rampant around here. There is no way an "rc park" would ever be built around here haha.
tc4basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 02:10 PM   #68
Tech Master
 
Metalsoft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Johnson City, TN
Posts: 1,883
Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blis View Post
If you spent time at an IC track with IC runners, you would realise top speeds aren't what we're all about, if it were, we'd run electric as well.

We're al RC lovers but like anything in life, we have our preferences and unless you care less, we may be offended. It's a common issue in RC where one person diminishes another persons car or performance. Ultimately many do this for enjoyment and comparing EP and NItro is like comparing chalk and cheese.

For me, working with transmissions, clutches, engine tune and mods is the core interest. My son works in a RC shop and if he had a dollar for every time someone wanted the FASTEST, he'd be a rich man. In truth performance in a straight line is not what Nitro IC is about.

We enjoy the camaraderie, the struggle to tune and get our cars into a performance range to enjoy racing with others. We all started with the "need for speed" many of us moved on and tackled the task of endurance, cornering performance and strategy.

I hope you dont read this as offensive, Im trying to convey the point that we race Nitro cars for many reasons and EP can't provide us with a sense of achievement that we have completing a long 45 minute final and rubbing shoulders with our mates during pitstops etc.

If moving at 56m per second takes your fancy, we get it! Consider there are many other contributing factors that make up a Nitro RC car and debating over top speed seems pointless when it counts for very little in this thread.

Except for the fact that you know, It's what the thread is about.
__________________
Tamiya TB03 NSX USGT - Fantom R1 21.5 - Hitec - HW JS - Futaba - TRF

" Tamiya RC's have soul, the others are just plastic parts "
Metalsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 02:40 PM   #69
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: indpls,ind
Posts: 1,387
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4basher View Post
I live in the bay area, CA and we cant even get a drag strip built for real cars even though street racing runs rampant around here. There is no way an "rc park" would ever be built around here haha.
.................Thats too bad man.
nitrohead5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 02:47 PM   #70
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Bay Area, Cali
Posts: 574
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalsoft View Post
Except for the fact that you know, It's what the thread is about.
True
tc4basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 03:16 PM   #71
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: indpls,ind
Posts: 1,387
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4basher View Post
I live in the bay area, CA and we cant even get a drag strip built for real cars even though street racing runs rampant around here. There is no way an "rc park" would ever be built around here haha.
...................My question to you tc4basher is what are those Europeans doing that we are not to get those RC Parks???
nitrohead5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 03:43 PM   #72
Tech Champion
 
nitrodude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Oxnard, CA
Posts: 5,753
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4basher View Post
I live in the bay area, CA and we cant even get a drag strip built for real cars even though street racing runs rampant around here. There is no way an "rc park" would ever be built around here haha.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/california-racing/880050-brisbane-sf-california.html
Check that thread out
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 06:06 PM   #73
Tech Elite
 
blis's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 3,434
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalsoft View Post
Except for the fact that you know, It's what the thread is about.
Its a thread within a parent IC/Nitro thread, and this thread really belongs in the EP thread as its focus is on EP being faster than IC...

I did press the point I wasn't being offensive, if I started a thread in EP about why they have 4x the current capacity in the last few years and only run 5 minutes I doubt there would be such a civil debate or a debate at all.

It strongly demonstrates IC runners have a more open mind to RC as a whole and many more IC runners also participate in EP than they do vice versa.

T4, you've been very open minded and its appreciated and it's rare! The reality is that while in 1:1 cars they created automatic transmissions, there are many that still prefer the old school feel of a stick shift even when DSG systems are light years ahead.

Also consider from a nitro preferred standpoint I am continually being bombarded by people telling me that EP rules, its faster and easier and I have to keep reminding them that the "ENGINE" whether steam or internal combustion, enabled humanity to create the power to generate the electricity that powered the light bulb to to develop all aspects of the modern world.
__________________
RC Cars: E4/G4/TCX/LAB-C02/T4'15/MM Engines
WEB: Beachmums Racing - MYRCM Race Registration
Media: Amain - RCRacingTV - RedRC - LiveRC - blisx264
blis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 05:02 AM   #74
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 158
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrohead5300 View Post
..................How are you doing GT100?? Fine I hope you got any special projects brewing?? I have a winter project I can't get finished thanks to the RC Gremlin I had to replace my radio before I could continue. Oh well, good luck with your future speed attemps.
NH, Ive been working on 2 projects that should be done and putting up the numbers I want by september. Im real close to taking down the 120 mark with a nitro car but my large scale has already surpassed that.
__________________
100mph is easy (with batteries)
117mph nitro HPI Racer2
115mph gas FG
107mph twin nitro buggy
99.61mph nitro buggy (ROSSA speed holder IC open wheel)
Gt100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 10:45 AM   #75
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: indpls,ind
Posts: 1,387
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt100 View Post
NH, Ive been working on 2 projects that should be done and putting up the numbers I want by september. Im real close to taking down the 120 mark with a nitro car but my large scale has already surpassed that.
...................Thats outstanding GT!!! I had a feeling you were working on your largescale car!!! Looking forward to videos of these speed demons.

Last edited by nitrohead5300; 06-20-2015 at 05:11 PM.
nitrohead5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 06:35 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net