R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Like Tree2Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-16-2015, 10:58 AM   #31
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 884
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

It comes down to this. Race cars have engines.....batteries are for flashlights.
__________________
People spend their lives worrying about death. I'm sliding in broadside h ollering "Wow, what a ride"
spooky 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 02:15 PM   #32
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Bay Area, Cali
Posts: 589
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky 1 View Post
It comes down to this. Race cars have engines.....batteries are for flashlights.
It comes down to this. Slow rc race cars have nitro engines.....batteries are for flashlights and the fastest rc cars.
tc4basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 03:55 PM   #33
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: indpls,ind
Posts: 1,417
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4basher View Post
It comes down to this. Slow rc race cars have nitro engines.....batteries are for flashlights and the fastest rc cars.
..........Yes and those extreme electric cars you are talking about are sooooo fast the average person can not drive them around a road course. I call them rtr's ....ready to reck!! Have you ever looked at the amount of damage after a crash of these super fast electric cars?? The car is usually totaled!! Sells of these cars put a smile on the hobbyshop owners face because he knows since it is so easy to make these cars run fast the newbee's will be in there buying go fast parts and breaking stuff! These super fast cars are not practical for road racing they are only good for drag racing or attempting a land speed record. So if you want to run a road course with a electric car you need to take out that extreme electric motor and put in a milder motor so you have more control of your car on your track. This will make your average lape time and speeds about the same as a nitro car. I like for my races to last for more than a 1-2 minutes typical time for a drag race.

Last edited by nitrohead5300; 06-17-2015 at 04:28 AM.
nitrohead5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 06:28 AM   #34
Tech Elite
 
1/8 IC Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North America & Europe
Posts: 2,344
Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4basher View Post
It comes down to this. Slow rc race cars have nitro engines.....batteries are for flashlights and the fastest rc cars.
Taking from this would be that you are entitled to your opinion. And no one is here to sway you otherwise. But the coin has two sides...

...I would gladly like to see you take your brushless car and take it to a race and run against a Nitro car, and make the full main. Be it 200mm IC, 1:8 IC 4WD or 1:8 GT. Even a Brushless 1:5 against a Gas 1:5. You may have your initial speed, but not the run time, or the thrill. Plus many of us may not like to race "easy" cars, and prefer the challenge of actually influencing the cars handling and tune.

I would also venture to guess that if you were to compare the lap times of actual alike (R/C) race cars between the propulsion types Nitro & Electric (of similar output) they are probably pretty similar for a given track. I would also state that the same limitations on Nitro cars i.e. mechanical grip, flex and weight bias are what keeps the the laps times so close regardless of Power Output. Sure you can put a 550 Brushless in a 1/10 TC and it would be fast, but just upsets the chassis balance and it would also handle like a Smart Car with a V8 - like crap.

Apples to Oranges - being the fastest means nothing if you can not control it, and not just in a straight line.

Oh well. I spoke my 10 cents and bow out of this age old and pointless argument.

Last edited by 1/8 IC Fan; 06-17-2015 at 07:13 AM.
1/8 IC Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 06:49 AM   #35
Tech Elite
 
Metalsoft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 2,038
Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan View Post
Taking from this would be that you are entitled to your opinion. And no one is here to sway you otherwise. But the coin has two sides...

...I would gladly like to see you take your brushless car and take it to a race and run against a Nitro car, and make the full main. Be it 200mm IC, 1:8 IC 4WD or 1:8 GT. Even a Brushless 1:5 against a Gas 1:5. You may have your initial speed, but not the run time, or the thrill. Plus many of us may not like to race "easy" cars, and prefer the challenge of actually influencing the cars handling and tune.

Apples to Oranges - being the fastest means nothing if you can not control it, and not just in a straight line.

Oh well. I spoke my 10 cents and bow out of this age old and pointless argument.

Not to mention incorrect. Nitro cars are very "easy" to race. Because they are slow.

I can run a main as long as you can if not longer in my TC car. Plus tuning is the same just in different ways.

Instead of smelling like crap from nitro fuel, and ears ringing from that raspy weedeater sound, Electric cars are just as tunable. We just use technology instead of a screw driver.

I wonder what the ratio is between Electric and nitro is.
__________________
Tamiya TB03 USGT - Custom Carbon fiber Chassis - Magoo Racing Inc....
Metalsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 06:52 AM   #36
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: indpls,ind
Posts: 1,417
Default

If you are running a hour main you will need to pit. I doubt that a guy with an electric car can pit as fast as a guy with a nitro car . It takes seconds to put the fuel in the tank with a fuel gun compared to the minutes it would take to remove the battery out of a electric car and put a fresh one in and hook it up. Boom !! you just got lapped by a nitro car. And nitro cars are more driveable not because they are slower but because the onwer/driver has not over powered the chassis like most owners of electric cars do because their lack of skill leads them to believe that fast wins the race!! News flash fast does not win the race the racer who 's car drives the smoothest and consistant usually wins. Can't win a roadrace if your car is slow in the pits and twitchy and fishtailing all over the place because it is over powered

Last edited by nitrohead5300; 06-17-2015 at 07:06 AM.
nitrohead5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 07:30 AM   #37
Tech Regular
 
sinisterRC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Miami
Posts: 426
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrohead5300 View Post
..........Yes and those extreme electric cars you are talking about are sooooo fast the average person can not drive them around a road course. I call them rtr's ....ready to reck!!
It's actually wreck, but I get it..
__________________
MUGEN Tekno - MBX6TE TEKIN
Custom Nitro Pro Mod
sinisterRC - High Performance R/C
sinisterRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:07 AM   #38
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Bay Area, Cali
Posts: 589
Default

Well i dont race. I just bash and do speed runs and If I rarely crash. I have 3 electric cars that go 120+ mph. If I wasnt into speed I would get a nitro. Obviously you guys are not into speed like I am. To each his own.

I know most of you guys believe the sound and smell of nitro alone makes it better but you cannot deny the far superior performance of electric and the ever advancing technology behind it.

Last edited by tc4basher; 06-17-2015 at 09:25 AM.
tc4basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 11:15 AM   #39
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 884
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

You're a basher, That explains a lot.
__________________
People spend their lives worrying about death. I'm sliding in broadside h ollering "Wow, what a ride"
spooky 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 11:19 AM   #40
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: indpls,ind
Posts: 1,417
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4basher View Post
Well i dont race. I just bash and do speed runs and If I rarely crash. I have 3 electric cars that go 120+ mph. If I wasnt into speed I would get a nitro. Obviously you guys are not into speed like I am. To each his own.

I know most of you guys believe the sound and smell of nitro alone makes it better but you cannot deny the far superior performance of electric and the ever advancing technology behind it.
...............What are you talking about ??The worlds fastest nitro can go 120mph and that run was documented, thru a speed trap. Where is your video of your 3 cars going 120mph+ thru a speed trap?? Speed traps are more accurate than gps or radar and speed traps are the only instruments Guiness uses for speed runs documentation. And I believe that nitro and gas are better than electric because of the sound and the smell of the fuel.
nitrohead5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 12:32 PM   #41
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Bay Area, Cali
Posts: 589
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrohead5300 View Post
...............What are you talking about ??The worlds fastest nitro can go 120mph and that run was documented, thru a speed trap. Where is your video of your 3 cars going 120mph+ thru a speed trap?? Speed traps are more accurate than gps or radar and speed traps are the only instruments Guiness uses for speed runs documentation. And I believe that nitro and gas are better than electric because of the sound and the smell of the fuel.
Yes i know a nitro has gone 120 which is impressive. But that is obviously an anomoly and not the norm. I dont use speed traps. I use a garmin forerunner 201. Does that mean im not really going 120+?

I dont need to go out of my way and get a speed trap to prove it to anyone. Im not trying to beat the Guiness record which is 202 mph. 120+ is pretty common nowadays for electric with common off the shelf parts. Just sayin.

Last edited by tc4basher; 06-17-2015 at 12:43 PM.
tc4basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 01:07 PM   #42
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Bay Area, Cali
Posts: 589
Default

Watch "Team associated tc4 126 mph" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/LeAJrgo_WCo
tc4basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 01:15 PM   #43
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Bay Area, Cali
Posts: 589
Default

Here is one of the only vids I have of my Team Associated Tc4 at 126 mph. Pretty simple setup. 7700kv motor on 4s. Sorry for the bad quality.

Watch "Team associated tc4 126 mph" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/LeAJrgo_WCo
tc4basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 01:30 PM   #44
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: indpls,ind
Posts: 1,417
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4basher View Post
Yes i know a nitro has gone 120 which is impressive. But that is obviously an anomoly and not the norm. I dont use speed traps. I use a garmin forerunner 201. Does that mean im not really going 120+?

I dont need to go out of my way and get a speed trap to prove it to anyone. Im not trying to beat the Guiness record which is 202 mph. 120+ is pretty common nowadays for electric with common off the shelf parts. Just sayin.
..........................I am talking about roadracing. The kind of car you have is tooo fast to drive on a road course. And a Garmin gps is not as accurate as a speed trap which is why Guiness uses speed traps for speed verification. Since you are not using speed traps there is a good chance you speeds are indeed off. But you are talking about speed runs. You put that kind of motor in an electric car and try to run a hour long road race against a nitro car and you will get lapped everytime you go into the pit to put in a fresh set of batteries because electric cars cannot pit as fast as nitro cars that can refuel in a matter of seconds !! With an electric car you have to disconect the discharged battery and put in a fresh one it gonna take minutes instead of seconds each time you pit you will get lapped.
nitrohead5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 01:41 PM   #45
Tech Champion
 
Roelof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Holland
Posts: 5,986
Send a message via ICQ to Roelof
Default

I have done many races with 1/18 electric. Once I did race in a team endurance race where all the other guys were using fast Mamba brushless sets while I was running a stock brushed 180 motor. I did set the fastest laptimes and the longest runtime on a battery.

Going fast isn't just everything when racing on a track......

The 1/8 gas onroad has now an electric demo class with it, with 2 up to 3 contenders beside the 40 gas racers you know what is more populair although the electrics do run the same laptimes as the gas cars.
__________________
Speed is only fiction but a 130+km/h MRS4 is for real.
Roelof is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 12:29 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net