Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree20Likes

FASTEST KNOWN NITRO RC CAR?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 07:38 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tc4basher
So brushless cars cant run for more than 5 mins? Thats rediculous!

I mean i'm not tryin to start a nitro vs electric debate but you would think that with combustion engines being around for 100+ yrs, some of that technology can be implemented to nitro cars today to make them at least a little faster with less hastle.
You need to educate yourself a little bit.

The current crop of batteries allow even 6S setups to run over 5 minutes easily and they're improving all the time.

Nitro cars can't run for more than what the fuel tank can take onboard. Hence the frequent pit stops.

That aside, both types have another problem with tyres which wear out and if you don't want to adjust your setup mid race you need to stop to change tyres during the race every so often. About two-three times during a 30 minute race. Watch a few videos and you'll learn a bit about all that.

Originally Posted by (0000000000)
Maybe you haven't seen a 30 min Nitro A-Main, or maybe you just don't appreciate it. It's like comparing F1 to nascars. Two very different technologies, with a distinctly different fan bases. At the end of the day, they're both auto racing. But it takes a true enthusiast to notice and appreciate the difference.
Electric cars are every bit as much fun as nitro, minus the mess in your workshop. Given that we're dealing with an uninitiated here, I think you need to explain that 30 minute races mean in fact a few 5-6 minute races back to back.

Electric cars only ran about 3 minutes 20 years ago, limited by battery capacity. Pound for pound, we now have batteries that can power much more powerful cars upwards of 10 minutes with no problems.

My 6S 1/8 uses about 75% of a set of 4800 shorties in a 5 minute race. A full size battery 6S setup will most likely be pushing 10 minutes. At full chat, doing about 100km/h I would say that's not too shabby. You should try to replicate that in your nitro without refuelling.

Not to mention today we have full size electric cars with 500 mile range and acceleration that would leave even a serious V8 in the dust.

Have a look here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gFGX43vubM

Diss electric power at your own peril.

Last edited by niznai; 01-09-2017 at 08:38 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:07 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by niznai
You need to educate yourself a little bit.

The current crop of batteries allow even 6S setups to run over 5 minutes easily and they're improving all the time.

Nitro cars can't run for more than what the fuel tank can take onboard. Hence the frequent pit stops.

That aside, both types have another problem with tyres which wear out and if you don't want to change setup mid race you need to stop to change tyres during every so often. About two-three times during a 30 minute race. Watch a few videos and you'll learn a bit about all that.

Electric cars are every bit as much fun as nitro, minus the mess in your workshop. Given that we're dealing with an uninitiated here, I think you need to explain that 30 minute races mean in fact a few 5-6 minute races back to back.

Electric cars only ran about 3 minutes 20 years ago, limited by battery capacity. Pound for pound, we now have batteries that can power much more powerful cars upwards of 10 minutes with no problems.

My 6S 1/8 uses about 75% of a set of 4800 shorties in a 5 minute race. A full size battery 6S setup will most likely be pushing 10 minutes. At full chat, doing about 100km/h I would say that's not too shabby. You should try to replicate that in your nitro without refuelling.

Not to mention today we have full size electric cars with 500 mile range and acceleration that would leave even a serious V8 in the dust.

Have a look here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gFGX43vubM

Diss electric power at your own peril.
I don't know where you race, but where I do we can do a 30 minute race on one set of tires. Also, a 30 minute race is NOT 6, 5 minute races. Have you ever done a 30 minutes race? Also, you may be able to run ,10 minutes on charge, but after you need to remove the body and change the battery, a refueling stop for a gas car takes less than 5 seconds. You make very biased comments, why don't you stick to the electric forum?
Old 01-09-2017, 08:34 AM
Tech Master

AMEN!!! Nitrodude. It only takes seconds to re-fuel a nitro car, on a electric you usually have to remove the body and take the battery out and then put in the fresh one. Long pit stops mean you will get lapped during a 30-45 minute road race.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:38 AM
Tech Master

And alot of times the big high voltage batteries that give you that super long run time are so heavy that they throw off the center of gravity of the car and make them hard to handle on a road course with alot of turns.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:34 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by nitrodude
I don't know where you race, but where I do we can do a 30 minute race on one set of tires. Also, a 30 minute race is NOT 6, 5 minute races. Have you ever done a 30 minutes race? Also, you may be able to run ,10 minutes on charge, but after you need to remove the body and change the battery, a refueling stop for a gas car takes less than 5 seconds. You make very biased comments, why don't you stick to the electric forum?
Biased or not, they're based on experience.

And a forum is not somebody's sand pit to be ruled by their whims. If you can't put up with others' views, you are in the wrong internet.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:04 AM
Tech Master

Niznai, you need to take your own advice. In general electrics are usually faster in a straight line....... but I like the sound , the smell and sound of nitro. And I don't want to deal with the explosive nature 4s-6s and larger lipo batteries in the house.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:04 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

My 6S 1/8 uses about 75% of a set of 4800 shorties in a 5 minute race.
What I would like to know, is who makes these 3S shorties? I run boats as well a 1/8 On-Road (not GT) and such packs would come in handy.

My Google search has not yet found such a pack, if you could let me know where I can buy them.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:34 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan
What I would like to know, is who makes these 3S shorties? I run boats as well a 1/8 On-Road (not GT) and such packs would come in handy.

My Google search has not yet found such a pack, if you could let me know where I can buy them.
I use three 2S hard case shorty packs because I can use them in other cars.

Don't know if anyone makes 3S shorties.

You can however buy a 6S soft pack that fits on the footprint of my 3x shorty pack (it's actually a bit smaller), it's made for the TTB setups:

http://www.planet-rc.ch/images/produ...TPON6S4450.jpg

Come to think of it, have a look on the TTB page, this is a Swiss company that makes all sorts of things for boats:

https://www.tectrade.ch/products/

I run one of their motor/ESC combos in my car and it's phenomenal.

Last edited by niznai; 01-09-2017 at 08:40 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:45 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by nitrohead5300
Niznai, you need to take your own advice. In general electrics are usually faster in a straight line....... but I like the sound , the smell and sound of nitro. And I don't want to deal with the explosive nature 4s-6s and larger lipo batteries in the house.
Which part?

I can easily see why people like nitro, I myself watch their races with pleasure, but electric has obvious advantages.

To give but one example, our own home track used to run nitro back 20 years ago, until the neighbours complained about the noise and they shut us down for quite a few years, until electric became a viable option and we managed to convince the council noise wasn't going to be a problem anymore.

You can't avoid Lipo anymore. If you have a laptop, you are using Lipo already. Same goes for cameras, tablets, phones, etc. They're here to stay.

I think you just have to follow some basic rules and you'll be fine. I haven't had any unpleasant events, knock on wood, and I have been using Lipos since they came on the market. I have about 20 Lipo packs sitting in my cars' room as we speak and they're not doing anything funky.

Last edited by niznai; 01-09-2017 at 08:41 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:42 PM
Tech Adept

So much anger, it's pretty simple for me. My first love will always be nitro. I like the sound, smoke, smell, tuning, tweaking, maintenance etc... I have 100mph nitro cars so not concerned about speed. Just so much fun to run nitro cars. I have one electric buggy for speed runs. It's great, geared up, charged up went outside very easy but I take more pride in things that aren't easy. I do love my electric buggy, but to be honest it sits on the shelf while I bash around my nitro buggy while doing 45-50mph. It's about the experience. I'm a tinkerer, if you're not then electric is the way to go.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:39 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by fdjizm

[...]

I'm a tinkerer, if you're not then electric is the way to go.
Or so you think.

It all depends on what you want to tinker with.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:46 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by fdjizm
So much anger, it's pretty simple for me. My first love will always be nitro. I like the sound, smoke, smell, tuning, tweaking, maintenance etc... I have 100mph nitro cars so not concerned about speed. Just so much fun to run nitro cars. I have one electric buggy for speed runs. It's great, geared up, charged up went outside very easy but I take more pride in things that aren't easy. I do love my electric buggy, but to be honest it sits on the shelf while I bash around my nitro buggy while doing 45-50mph. It's about the experience. I'm a tinkerer, if you're not then electric is the way to go.
Not sure where you read that.

And this is (apparently) not a discussion about who loves what. I corrected some wrong views, for the benefit of someone who obviously got the wrong idea.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

I use three 2S hard case shorty packs because I can use them in other cars.

Don't know if anyone makes 3S shorties.

You can however buy a 6S soft pack that fits on the footprint of my 3x shorty pack (it's actually a bit smaller), it's made for the TTB setups:

http://www.planet-rc.ch/images/produ...TPON6S4450.jpg

Come to think of it, have a look on the TTB page, this is a Swiss company that makes all sorts of things for boats:

https://www.tectrade.ch/products/

I run one of their motor/ESC combos in my car and it's phenomenal.
Thanks, I thought from how I read your paragraph, you had 3S shorties.

For now I will stick with my SMC 6S lipos.

I am familiar with TTB, their motors are run at one of the Tracks I too race at. 1/8 6S electric 977, Velox-e, MRX5 e-conversion etc.

What are you running it in, and did you purchase directly from them, as I am not aware that there is a retailer in the US as of yet. As the deal with Superior Hobbies had not worked out.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:53 AM
Tech Elite

Funnily enough, I bought my ESC/motor combo from Superior Hobbies. Shipped to Oz and it was about half the price in Europe or here. I think they were throwing out whatever stock they bought to test the market. Mine I think was the last they had, because I have checked after that and they didn't show any more.

What can I say? It might be very difficult to deal with people in a completely different economy to yours. I am not sure what is the cost to shops in Europe and how much they put on top, but it is horribly expensive. Mine cost 450US$ plus shipping. In Europe you'd pay double that. In Euro!

I have a Capricorn, the electric version dedicated for this system. I bought the car directly from Capricorn in Italy when they had a sale and I got it with 25% off, so a good price otherwise they're expensive cars. I don't understand how people in Europe can afford a hobby like this, with their salaries being about half of ours and prices twice. Shipping wasn't that much because I was in Europe at the time.

Brilliant car, I like it immensely. The quality of engineering and execution are top notch.

But the best surprise was that their company is very nice to deal with. Their staff knows what's goin' on, and have helped me every time I put orders in. I tried this with many other companies and most are disappointing to deal with directly.

Last edited by niznai; 01-10-2017 at 08:05 AM.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:59 AM
Tech Adept

Not sure where you read that.

And this is (apparently) not a discussion about who loves what. I corrected some wrong views, for the benefit of someone who obviously got the wrong idea.
It was a general reply to the current talk on the thread not directly to you. enjoy your cars!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.