Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
What does 1/8 onroad 4WD Open need to grow? >

What does 1/8 onroad 4WD Open need to grow?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What does 1/8 onroad 4WD Open need to grow?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 02:22 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default What does 1/8 onroad 4WD Open need to grow?

Checking the current forums, news sites, predictions, are there any viable plans to resuscitate 1/8 onroad here is the USA? I know that the popularity of GT8 is on the rise, but I mean in particular the 4WD open cars. I attended my first Worlds in 1987 at the Ranch Pit Shop and remember how big of a deal that was…and I was just pitting for someone! Can 1/8 onroad racing get back to that level around the USA? I applaud the strong efforts that are made regionally in areas like Florida, Ohio, Virginia, and Texas. Are these signs of things to come and growth is on the rise?

After a significant time away, I started RC racing again a couple of years ago--this time in 1/8 nitro buggies. Don’t get me wrong, this is a lot of fun, the racing is good, is very popular around the country, but there is not that ‘Wow’ factor that I remember from my onroad days.

Dollar for dollar, I know that 1/8 onroad has a bad reputation for the perceived cost of it all. With the latest ‘tire of the week’ fad that is currently playing-out in 1/8 offroad, and burning-off super-soft compounds each run, I am not sure that price differential is that far off anymore. Could spec tires be the answer?

What can be attributed to the popularity and success of 1/8 4WD open, and 1/10 onroad nitro around the globe, more so than here in the USA? Can we copy something that the international racing community is doing differently? Is it possible that GT8 cars could be that stepping stone to the 4WD open cars?

I have often heard people say that if it is important enough to you, do it yourself. I have actually entertained the thought (not too seriously yet) of building my own track. Kind of a Field of Dreams moment in hopes of attracting newcomers back to 1/8 onroad. But am I just wasting my time?

Thank you for any input
Old 04-13-2015, 03:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The main issue with 8th scale Open will always be cost, especially if you want to be competitive and podium occasionally. The secondary issue is that you have to have a good traction, good asphalt surface to always run due to the "foam tire only" concept of the car. At least with GT, they run on rubber tires similar to 190mm electric cars and can be run almost anywhere. As far as GT being a stepping stone to 8th scale open, guess you haven't been paying attention lately. To run with the handful of guys running now, you spend just about as much running GT at you do running 4wd Open. The only thing is that you don't have to true tires.

Powerracing use to have a RTR kit that was inexpensive and could have been a great jump-off but parts weren't readily available if you broke and they did not push their product as an alternative (which kept them in obscurity until they went away). EDAM has a similar product but they too will eventually fall into Powerracing obscurity.

Open 4wd 8th scale should be what everyone running nitro should want to aspire to achieve (like a Sprint dirt car racer eventually making it to the NASCAR ranks). Now, if you want to maybe attract more people, maybe build up the ranks via a Nationwide rank to the Sprint Cup rank in NASCAR. Your Nationwide-type rank could be any current or previous chassis (yes, the older ones) and maybe do a 3 or 5 port offroad engine (like a Spec engine class) where guys can use lesser expensive chassis cars if they like and not spend a ton of coin on an engine. You can find older Serpent, Mugen, BMT, etc chassis cars out there cheap. Off-road engines are more affordable and more forgiving (if you don't get your tune quite right) than their on-road counterparts. The thing is fitting into the budgets of folks that might be just out of reach.

I know my opinion my get blasted but there are times you have to think a little "out of the box".

Last edited by JLock; 04-13-2015 at 10:34 PM.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:33 PM
Tech Master

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora La Reina de Los Ángeles del Río de Porciúncula, California, Unites States of America
Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Nitro is hard. Just got into it myself. Like learning RC all over again. Takes money and patience to go through the learning curve from clutch, 2 speed, nitro tuning etc. Much more going on than electrics where I can just plug and play. I don't see it growing especially as electrics keep getting better and cheaper. Have to remind myself 8th scale onroad is an elite class, everything about it, it really is the F1 of RC and comes with everything of it from price, to maintenance to driving and mechanics skills. Going to stick to it for an entire year and then will decide if I'll stay in the class. It is a ton of fun though and super satisfying when you manage to get everything working right and your driving is keeping up.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

As already stated 1/8 IC 4wd is not a beginner class, and something that you grow into. It is expensive, and it takes time and patience with both setup and driving. Its also a more mature arena of racing, and for the most parts drivers conduct themselves more professionally and have respect for one another. I was fortunate to have grown up in the days of 1/12 6-cell and progressed into 1:8 when all chassis were not so much a mirror copy of one another these days.

I find that practice is key for me, and that I take my time in doing so. In order for it to grow it may be beneficial to have a driver program similar to serpents driver development program. Also if you had seminars at the track to help the less experienced drivers. This used to be common practice at a few electric venues back in the day. Manufacturers used to have more support even at smaller venues, yet this is not so much the case now.

Most of all its hard for some to admit that the class may be more than they bargained for. You just cant buy the best car, best motor etc. and expect it to just work, like perhaps a 1/10 Touring car would, you have to also come to grasp with its driving characteristics and setup.

But I do not see 1/8 GT as a stepping stone at all, it may work as far as Engine and clutch tuning, yet the driving characteristics are too different, no overdrive, no foam tire wear, let alone the aerodynamics involved in 1:8 IC 4wd are more relevant. 1:10 IC 4wd 200 mm is more of a stepping stone than any other class, or the 220 mm conversions that were being run for a short time – given the 1:10 IC 4wd 235 mm class has long since passed.

Last edited by 1/8 IC Fan; 04-14-2015 at 02:47 AM. Reason: grammer
Old 04-13-2015, 08:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Thumbs up A Track to Run them on is the biggest obsticale !

About 10 years ago, the only Track/Club in the Seattle area, (SARCAR previously the only Track big enough and adequately equipped), disbanded leaving the closest option more than 170 miles South, (Time Zone Raceway Park). I started Racing Nitro Touring Cars 12 years ago, but jumped on the opportunity to buy 2 NIB Mugen MRX4X's for cheap. I also obtained for cheap, unused engines, exhaust systems, Tires, etc.

I may not be competitive, but these Cars are sure fun to "Wheel" and, other than the extra fuel they guzzle, the expense is about the same as the TC's I run. I paid $300 for a huge plastic tub of Tires that I have yet to use up.
So for me, it's Fuel (for my full size Car as well) and an occasional Body that are my main expenses.

I'm very grateful to the Time Zone Hooligans along with the Rose City Scale Racers for keeping the 8th Scale Torch burning strong. These guys, along with a few Western Canadians are what's left of the Nitro powered faithful in our region.

As for the rest of the points made previously, to have fun, the latest and greatest, most expensive Cars, Engines etc. aren't necessary. And as for tuning engines, suspension setup, there's usually experienced help willing to lend assistance/advice and or support. I just think some people looking in from outside of the action don't see all of the options and opportunities that are possible.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:51 AM
Tech Lord

Face it, the young people from who we do need some new drivers to keep any RC car sport alive have no interest. Online gaming is most populair among them.
Those who do want an RC car go for the cheapest RTR with the risk the bad product will give a compleete bad picture of this hobby. Then most of the time they choose an offroad model so they can drop it anywhere to drive it. Beside that, people are warned for nitro because it is to difficult with tuning the engine so they take electric. And to be honest, with currrent power and speed a brushless car can create I do not blame them but spreading the fear of not geting a nitro engine tuned has to stop.
Old 04-14-2015, 02:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

+1, to add what Roelof has already stated, these days with the synthetic blends of fuel the motors tend to hold a tune so much better, and are so much less messy than the Castor Oil based fueled cars of the past. Side benefit being that motors are so much easier to service.

Yet the Gaming is perhaps a huge reason, given that there are no cheat codes for 1:8 IC
Old 04-14-2015, 06:45 AM
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

To me 235 2wd was a terrific idea, it died when outlaw motors and 4wd made them almost as fast and just as expensive as 1/8 4wd. If possible I would run this class.

Instead of completely different car, just adding a 1/8 diff to an existing roller for 1/8 2wd would limit the need for the hottest motors, reduce tire wear, and allow you to switch back to 4wd with no cost. seems like a viable option rather than a whole separate chassis.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by avs
To me 235 2wd was a terrific idea, it died when outlaw motors and 4wd made them almost as fast and just as expensive as 1/8 4wd. If possible I would run this class.

Instead of completely different car, just adding a 1/8 diff to an existing roller for 1/8 2wd would limit the need for the hottest motors, reduce tire wear, and allow you to switch back to 4wd with no cost. seems like a viable option rather than a whole separate chassis.
Know what you mean about 2wd 235mm; still have the two I use to race. It was a great class; shame it died off.

The diff idea for 8th scale is a great "out of the box" idea. Same chassis, just remove the side and front belt and there you have it. It would be nice to make that like an 8th scale touring car class with TC bodies to distinguish it from the 4wd Lola bodies (like it use to be between 2wd 235 TC and 4wd 235 Lola {open}).
Old 04-14-2015, 08:51 AM
Tech Adept

Default 1/8 on road

iam with rob , 1/8 off road is fun but tire of week about the same ,,im 42 and about step into 1/8 on road way i see it , its 1/10 touring or 1/8th on road, i think rc in general has been oversaturated with too many classes , off road 2wd buggy stock or mod, 4wd buggy mod or 1/8th buggy , used to be it back in day ,
when i was a kid id see the ads for the associated rc500 being a big indy and f1 fan that was ultimate rc to strive for , ive raced almost all forms of rc , 1/12 carpet to touring nitro 235 off road buggys electric and nitro and now that my finances and free time has opened up a bit i think its time to move onto my 1/8 on road venture, yes be doing good to get it around track fast but im good enuff give faster guys room , im in atlanta area hopefully soon a permanet track will come thats capable of 1/8 on road, money well that goes hand in hand with speed , speed and $$$ are relative and really isnt a factor when racing any form of rc , other point is keeping it fun , racers have to realize were not all gonna make a podium every time , some racers are sponsored and put alot of time in it to be that status, need keep old expert,intermediate and novices in check ,alot racers if they dont win within certain time they give up , got keep it fun and a hobby, racers that go beyond that are at a level that has taken some of the fun to even race out. when that is mixed with the father /son or daughter outing to have fun discoragement sets in , really needs to be lil more tightening of classes, keeping certain class of racing but separated by the standard exp,int,nov , when newbie shows up for instance 8th off road, with new buggy signs up to race only class is pro or intermediate signs up for intermediate, and top 5-10 racers are running mid pack or better pro times , the newbie gonna say damn cant run with those guys, discouraged and done ,we have to thank the allmighty gaming systems and evryone gets a trophy attitude that helps attribute this we all have to help find ways to keep each level of rc in check either it be lap times, or actual amount of races attended,just something that has a step program in place help keep racers progressing, advertisement of more of the actual racing vehicles instead most adds you see are mainstream rc toys that advertise all this speed and first time out realize its not up to snuff for racing by the time mom or dad forked out cash for that setup they are lil hesitant on next step up , in the end its the racer and what they want to race maybe some more advertisement of 8th on road stuff will let lot people know about it , some newbies dont even know that its a form of racing , well my .2 worth with crappy punctuation and spelling lol. i hope to see 8th on road build up me joing that crowd i hope will help at least bit
Old 04-14-2015, 09:20 AM
Tech Elite

The same happens in Electric where less people run MOD because of the notion that it's more expensive when in actual fact the costings are relative because in spec classes. The pointy end of spec racing is riddled with heavy costs to get the most out of a limited class.

Then consider that 200mm touring is relatively no less expensive and there's many that will argue over it, but in truth the most expensive aspect of this hobby is getting to the tracks and the events. Ive spent more money in travel and accommodation getting to events than I have in the cars. After all, Ive spent a lot of money to get the cars up to the level of performance we seek and what's the point if we cant race at the bigger events.

As for Roelof's statemet about juniors, he's right. 1 in 30 juniors (conservative) will stick with the hobby past the date they get a 1:1 car licence. Im fortunate to have a son that loves it. Yes, just like pinball parlours killed the entertainment parks as did virtual computer gaming kill RC.

As a father I watched my son play GT on the PS3 and bounce off walls and restart the game, I truly feared the fact that they are getting a false sense of reality and I wanted my sons to experience the consequences of smashing a car in real life in RC and dealing with their actions. I also feel that while juniors exists, how often are the parents there for the junior, or is it really an excuse for the adult to go racing and have somewhere to mind the kids. It really bother me when juniors play with tennis balls and scooters over enjoying a beautiful racing model, it just doesnt sit well with me and never will.

As for 1/8 IC, too many voices and opinions from EP drivers arent helping. Theres nothing like a 1/8 full noise and any motorhead will be drawn to the power and performance they offer. It's a jungle out there and there are too many alternatives and there's a limit to how many people can be spread across so many classes and modes of RC model motorsport.

I think the key is to make it spectacular and this means the commitment from drivers to travel to meetings to get numbers up. If there's only 20 cars in a field, the middle and lower order drivers will find it hard to enjoy the experience. If the field was bigger, 50+ more of the middle order find their own level of competition and the pleasure of racing for a top 30 returns rather than A main or podium.

Add to that the constant brand switching and Im struggling to understand how so many new 1/8th are coming into a market where theres only room for 2 or 3. Sure variety is good, but theres a point where the budgets are exhausted because you had to switch because there's no continuity in the chassis you run and before you even get a race kit tuned and supported with parts, the car is obsolete and there's a wife or mum at home questioning why we have to spend another 2k...

Our hobby needs IC racing, it brings a pitman, it develops camaraderie in pit lane and the more people at a meeting the more chance clubs can make the revenue from canteens etc to keep alive. EP racing is a solo mode, its more self centered and less social. If people allow 1/8 4wd to allow EP, 1/8th IC will die, there's no coming back from that.

This weekend we have an interclub meeting, we were going to run the 190mm EP because the Xray is new, but then a IC friend asked for us to run the 200mm. The friendship we've shared while running IC immediately over ruled what Luke wanted and he agreed that the friendships developed in IC were too important to ignore and immediately changed his mind and decided to run the 200mm and respect his RC friends.

So in a nutshell, it's up to us to develop relationships in IC to keep it strong and be caring for the hobby so many of us love and respect. Its not meant to be easy, it's supposed to be challenging and when it all comes together it's spectacular!

Podiums for us are dreams, I had to sit my son down and enforce the fact that just getting an IC car to start and finish a meeting is an outstanding achievement in it's own right, where you come in the field is just the icing on the cake. Im glad we went to the worlds, Im glad we had a chance to race with similar competition, Im glad to have been in an event with the best racers in the world and proud to have met the nicest people in RC too!
Old 04-14-2015, 10:24 AM
Tech Addict

All very good comments so far. Thank you. I like posting/reading on this section of the message board because you can tell just how much that those posting on here genuinely care about this kind of RC racing.

But I am still curious how other continents (Europe and Asia) seem to be able to grow and maintain more interest in 1/8th scale onroad. The kids there have the same distractions with video games, etc.

It must be a strong international market to support so many different car manufacturers now. What are there 10, maybe 15 different manufacturers of 1/8 onroad chassis?

Thank you
Old 04-14-2015, 10:57 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by robracing
All very good comments so far. Thank you. I like posting/reading on this section of the message board because you can tell just how much that those posting on here genuinely care about this kind of RC racing.

But I am still curious how other continents (Europe and Asia) seem to be able to grow and maintain more interest in 1/8th scale onroad. The kids there have the same distractions with video games, etc.

It must be a strong international market to support so many different car manufacturers now. What are there 10, maybe 15 different manufacturers of 1/8 onroad chassis?

Thank you
Rob, when we were at the worlds in 200mm there were a lot of old men that came from Europe just to catch up with old friends. JJ Wang and Loran were the only two from the USA. There was a youngster from Malaysia, there was Luke my son, Loran Whiting, Alex Thirsten and Kyle Branson UK... So in total Id be bold enough to say only 10% were young so to speak. There were a few Thai youngsters, being local that was to be expected but the demographic was older.

There was also a lot of solidarity in the European squad and there were younger drivers that were mentored and supported by the older set of founders of the hobby.

I don't think the answer is to open a track, I think it's to participate in the building on relationships, so the money is spent travelling and encouraging. We often try to adapt our ideas for juniors, but in fact it's the fathers we need to target. By contributing into the social side, encouraging the juniors and being mindful of making the father of a junior feel like it is educational and a good environment for them is key.

And I dont mean results, they will come with time, I mean in the perception that the investment and the experience the juniors will get from a challenging experience has value.

So don't build a track to solve the problem, invest in participating and helping create a nurturing environment for juniors to feel valued. I have been lucky and had many good drivers help and mentor my sons. Ultimately its the relationships that are forged in an emotionally volatile racing environment is key.

I know as a matter of fact that IFMAR showed great leniency toward us at the worlds and it was admirable. EFRA heads were approachable and encouraging and Alex's mum from BRCA was also investing her time and effort into welcoming the youngsters.

If we allow for results to dominate the value in RC racing it will die in the next decade. If we promote the passion, diligence and pride in what we do, then it will have a chance. There's a lot more value in the people than there is in the trophy and the encouragement comes from the old school racers and it will be handed over to the next generations.

Simple things like the Hudy family making themselves approachable, or the pros sitting in the main areas of the garages, not allowing themselves to fall for elitism, these are the nuggets of gold we covet and it's where the strength lies in among the Euro family of racers. Michael Salven was also instrumental in the way he integrated with the Serpent team, he captured the essence of our love for RC and treated every Serpent driver as important and this made them feel like they belonged.

This isnt about winning for everyone, specially not us with 4 world class drivers in Australia, we havent got a hope of getting a podium, those spots are taken and will be for the next decade. It's how they encourage and care for the newcomers that matters.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:07 AM
Tech Master

One of the things I noticed at the few On-Road events that I have been to is that the median age for racers was probably 45-50+. There just wasn't any young people around. Now, I don't know if that is how it has always been or if it just became that way over time but, that isn't a good sign.

When me and my son started racing offroad he really enjoyed it but, he eventually grew tired of not having anyone his age to hangout with.

I think it's going to hard fought uphill battle to get kids to hang around with a bunch of "old people" instead of their friends. (weather it be online gaming or in person)
Old 04-14-2015, 11:22 AM
Tech Master

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora La Reina de Los Ángeles del Río de Porciúncula, California, Unites States of America
Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Video games.. the one great distraction that constantly competes with my 17yr old little brothers attention.

We've been racing just about every week for almost an entire year now. Recently into IC. He seems to be enjoying nitro MUCH more than electric which I was surprised about but glad. We love how electric is plug and play. We have it figured out. IC, we are still learning alot.

One big problem though, is wrenching. He wants nothing to do with it. I like to wrench as much as I like to race but I'd rather do them independently, would rather not do that track side but I have to alot of times. Proper preparation is still something I'm working on improving.

I've tried a couple of strategies to get my bro to embrace wrenching (especially at home, he'll just do it at the track if it's needed). With electrics, I just didn't touch his car at all. I let his diff oil and shock oil pretty much completely empty out so he could notice the differences between a maintained car and a non-maintained car. He did much better after he rebuilt the diff and shocks so I hope he remembers that connection between performance and maintenance. This strategy with nitro doesn't work though. At higher than 17.5 speeds all these maintenance problems are much more noticeable with many more things to break and cost money with as well. Work in progress.

Another observation made, was the age of everyone. I'm mid 30's so It's probably in the lower average range of attendance, only 2 other young (sub 18 yr olds) I see at the track. I've even seen classes for older gents, like 45+ yr classes.. Never been have I seen a class based on age.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.