R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-29-2005, 10:22 PM   #1
Tech Rookie
Default roto start or pull start

ok i have a rs4 3 evo with T15 engine it comes with the roto start and i was wondering if i should replace it with a pull start, im just havin problems with roto start the shaft is wearing down at the tip from holdin it from an angle, it broke a gear already,its not cheap and i just bought this a week ago im still new to all this, i need to know if im doing some thing wrong? or if the pull start would work better for me.
hybrid_eg6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 11:18 PM   #2
Tech Apprentice
Send a message via ICQ to Aphinity Send a message via AIM to Aphinity Send a message via Yahoo to Aphinity Send a message via Skype™ to Aphinity

A starter box would be a much better investment for you, in my opinion. No wear, totally reliable, easier to start, and more power too.

Pull starts and the roto start devices are constantly dragging on the crankshaft of the motor, and this reduces power a LOT. Take it off, and you'll notice the difference in power.
Aphinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 11:40 PM   #3

Use what you have for now, when time comes to get a new engine, get the one which uses starter box. So starter box is the way to go.
xrcbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 11:40 PM   #4
Tech Rookie

is it easy to take off the roto start off the engine, i mean, what do i need to do to? do i just take off the roto start and put a plate? what do i do when i get a strater box,engine wise? how much is one?
Old 09-30-2005, 06:24 AM   #5
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Hybrid, its easy to take the roto start off. There are 3 screws holding it on to the back plate, it then just slips off. the one way start bearing will then be visible, If you get a hpi pull start it will mount up the same way, I caution you though, if your having trouble with a rotostart, a pullstart isnt going to be easier, infact more difficult. If the engine is tuned proplery a rotostart or pullstart will start it wth a few cranks,or a push on the roto button for a 1-2sec burst. I suspect you may be using the primer button on the fuel tank actually flooding the engine before you rotostart it. This will break gears,oneway bearings ect. I never use my primer button with my rotostart, it turns the engine over fast enough that its not needed. The pullstart method you can use the primer button for starting. Also look at the back of the car, you should have almost a straight shot at the rotostart part where you stick the wand in, on my car the rear shock is barely in the way, so I have to hold it at a very slight angle, but its nothing that will break or wear anythning out. You may want to look to see if you can remount the roto backplate to give you a better shot at starting it from the back. Lastley starter boxes are excellent once set up, but can be a costly, most run around $60 then you usually need to buy a gel cell, or 2-6cell batts to power it.
hobbipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 05:48 AM   #6
Tech Rookie

ok broke another gear on the rotostart but i dont use the primer, scared of locking up the piston-flood, i might have to go with a pull start,but when i pulled the engine off, i got a stripped screw im just havin no luck with this thing, engine is off the chaisse but i have a screw still in it (head is gone), how am i suppose to get that out, is three out of four ok? i also wanted to know if i can use the 18ss motor and still use my old tranny gears,flywheel etc,will thet fit-it has a pull-start. i need so input.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:54 AM   #7
Tech Initiate

dremel a slit in the screw and get it out with a flathead screwdriver and get rid of roto start anything is better than that you will go through so many bearings with that
KellettsHobbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 04:36 PM   #8
Tech Initiate

**TLR 8ight E 3.0**
Losi Mini 8ight
F3ckLand is offline   Reply With Quote