Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newbie steering problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 04:09 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Newbie steering problems

I am an rc newbie, and I have a problem with my v-one rr's steering.

It physically will not turn as much left as it will right. Also, with the electronics on, it makes a buzzing noise when I turn it right. And it still has the problem where it turns more right than left.

What do I need to adjust to make it steer equal distances left and right?

Cheers.
Old 09-29-2005, 04:39 PM
Tech Adept

I'm not familiar with the car, but sounds like your steering horn is not in the center the servos range. Meaning that the horn is mounted closer to left handed range of motion, thus allowing you to steer more to the right than the left.

here's what you do: 1) turn the transmitter on, 2) turn the car on, 3) on the transmitter, make sure the steering trim is set to 0, 3) turn the car off, 4) turn the transmitter off, 5) adjust the steering horn to center position. That should do it.

It's a little easier to do than explain. If anyone can explain it a little clearer, please do.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

also,
if your car was ok before and it just happened recently, make sure you check the servo horn for damage. if it is damaged, centering it will only work for a while. and then, one bump may jack up the steering again.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by darkangel
...........It's a little easier to do than explain. If anyone can explain it a little clearer, please do.

yeah he's right
it's easier done than said
Old 10-02-2005, 11:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Also check the end point adjustments of the car.....make sure the steering throw is equal on both sides......the noise the servo is making sounds like its getting too much throw to the one side and the servo is labouring to turn the steering further than is possible....this can either be adjusted via the end point adjustment, or repositioning the servo horn.
Other factors like toe angle, camber etc may also be affecting the steering going differently in one direction to the other.
Cheers
Old 10-03-2005, 12:42 AM
Tech Master

If your steering servo is trying to move further than the steering can physically go (if its buzzing at full-lock, the servo is usually travelling too far), this is very bad for your servo. This will burn it up fast. End-point adjustment is a crucial setting to prevent such a problem. If your radio doesn't have this feature, then... not good... but if you don't know how to set it up properly on your transmitter, than its time to dig up that manual. This is what you should look at first, but if your steering is physically being limited because of some obstruction in the servo horns path of movement or the steering linkage is hitting something, than you'll have to figure out what is out of place and creating this problem.

These are the more common reasons why you have more steering in one direction than in the other, but there could be other problems, such as a faulty servo among other possibilities.