R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-31-2014, 06:15 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice
 
nyamuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 94
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default chassis bent

Hi,
Is it normal chassis to bent after few run or race? My chassis seem to have slightly bent in the middle about few mm when put it backward on flat glass surface.

Some people is it because of heat and flex.
nyamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 07:08 AM   #2
Tech Elite
 
dan_vector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 3,823
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

No it isn't normal. My Serpent 747 did almost 2 seasons of racing and the chassis is still perfectly flat. The only time I've ever bent a chassis was on an 1/8th scale car where I crashed heavily at high speed.
__________________
Serpent Viper 977e EVO2, Serpent Viper 988 GP, Serpent Project 4x, Serpent 811T-TE Truggy, Serpent 811e 2.1, Serpent SRX2-MH, Serpent SRX-2 RM, Serpent SRX-4, Serpent F110-SF2, Serpent F180, Serpent 748 Natrix WC, Serpent Cobra GT 3.1, Serpent SRX8, Serpent S811 2.2, Baja 5B Flux, Atomic AMZ 1/27th, Schumacher GT12 SS.
Sanwa, Ielasi Tuned Novarossi Racing Engines, Tekin, Hobbywing, Muchmore.
dan_vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 09:52 AM   #3
Tech Elite
 
1/8 IC Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North America & Europe
Posts: 2,419
Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)
Default

What chassis are you running, if its a 1/8 or 1/10 (200mm) Nitro car that is highly unlikely without a wreck. Those chassis usually run between 4-5 mm in thickness. Even wheen heated it takes a lot of heat to yield the material to bend - these engines do not generate that heat. Perhaps one of those cheaper himoto, redcat cars even a nitro RS4 have a higher chance of bending as those chassi are not as strong or thick. Yet even then it takes a wreck to do that. Was your chassis used or tweaked perhaps when you had gotten it, did you check it before assembling the chassis?
__________________
-if you can't get ahold of me I am probably working, and that's out in the ocean. So please have patience when trying to correspond. - Thank you.

--->When in doubt try the Search Tab, it can and actually will lead to an Answer!

Last edited by 1/8 IC Fan; 12-31-2014 at 02:59 PM.
1/8 IC Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 12:00 PM   #4
Tech Regular
 
bigbank66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: folsom, ca
Posts: 292
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyamuk View Post
Hi,
Is it normal chassis to bent after few run or race? My chassis seem to have slightly bent in the middle about few mm when put it backward on flat glass surface.

Some people is it because of heat and flex.
If u r running the mtx5. Yes it's normal... but not a good thing..the 5 has been known to bend because of the break an the flex in the chassis
bigbank66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 04:59 PM   #5
Tech Apprentice
 
nyamuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 94
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbank66 View Post
If u r running the mtx5. Yes it's normal... but not a good thing..the 5 has been known to bend because of the break an the flex in the chassis
Im running nt1 xray.
nyamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:14 PM   #6
Tech Apprentice
 
nyamuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 94
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

hi anyone else have same experiance?
nyamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 11:04 PM   #7
Tech Regular
 
bigbank66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: folsom, ca
Posts: 292
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyamuk View Post
hi anyone else have same experiance?
Thats not good..ran nt1 for over 2 seasons an never bent a chassis...an i took some nasty crashes...check into this bigtime!!.
bigbank66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 01:04 PM   #8
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 398
Default

As long as i`m driving 200mm class, with the Serpent 710, 720, KM H-K1, Capricorn C01 and Serpent 748. The chassis will bend in about a couple of months of driving. Always in the middle of the chassis down, about 1 a 2 mm, its normal.

Cars with stiffner between middle and rear section has less bending, cars without have more bending of the chassis.

In the Netherlands all the topdrivers change chassis plate about 2 a 3 times a year.

At the rear the chassis will wear at the rear bottom end due to bottoming out during acceleration with small tires.

Its not a real big problem as long as the chassis doesn`t twists.

I think it is really strange people say they dont have this, i think this is only to make a brand look better then it is.

Last edited by rbakker; 01-04-2015 at 10:15 AM.
rbakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 02:09 PM   #9
Tech Regular
 
bigbank66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: folsom, ca
Posts: 292
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbakker View Post
As long as i`m driving 200mm class, with the Serpent 710, 720, KM H-K1, Capricorn C01 and Serpent 748. The chassis will bend in about a couple of months of driving. Always in the middle of the chassis down, about 1 a 2 mm, its normal.

Cars with stiffner between middle and rear section has less bending, cars without have less bending of the chassis.

In the Netherlands all the topdrivers change chassis plate about 2 a 3 times a year.

At the rear the chassis will wear at the rear bottom end due to bottoming out during acceleration with small tires.



Its not a real big problem as long as the chassis doesn`t twists.

I think it is really strange people say they dont have this, i think this is only to make a brand look better then it is.
I agree on one thing...if Where u race has the grip u will bend your chassis but Where I race the grip is Med to low an the cars slide more than grip...so a bent chassis is far an few between...not to say one is better than another!!! An to his point after a few races an the chassis is bent an there haven't been a Big crash....it's a problem somewhere..an That's wit any brand...
bigbank66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 02:26 PM   #10
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 398
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbank66 View Post
I agree on one thing...if Where u race has the grip u will bend your chassis but Where I race the grip is Med to low an the cars slide more than grip...so a bent chassis is far an few between...not to say one is better than another!!! An to his point after a few races an the chassis is bent an there haven't been a Big crash....it's a problem somewhere..an That's wit any brand...
It has nothing t do with what you are saying, it has to do with simple mechanics.
The way the cars are designed, the forces introduced in the chassis by the braking system (servo to brake cam) and the pulling force of the side belt. Both give a torque moment in the chassis that makes it bend, next to that the rear wears due to contact with the tarmac.

Just put your blocks when adjusting the downstops under both axles fr+rr during setup and you will be ok,
when you start driving al your laps within 0.2s. then its time to change the chassis once in a while.
rbakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 04:42 AM   #11
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,098
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbakker View Post
It has nothing t do with what you are saying, it has to do with simple mechanics.
The way the cars are designed, the forces introduced in the chassis by the braking system (servo to brake cam) and the pulling force of the side belt. Both give a torque moment in the chassis that makes it bend, next to that the rear wears due to contact with the tarmac.

Just put your blocks when adjusting the downstops under both axles fr+rr during setup and you will be ok,
when you start driving al your laps within 0.2s. then its time to change the chassis once in a while.
type of starter box will effect too
kyosho malaysia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 04:47 AM   #12
Tech Addict
 
JamesHealey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 556
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Is your throttle servo pulling too hard and bending the chassis???

Bending an Xray NT1 chassis is bloody hard work, unless you've hit something hard!
__________________
Serpent 977 Evo | Novarossi Engines | Racing Experience Fuel | Xpert-RC Servos | Xtreme Tyres | Bitty Design Body Shells |
http://answer-rc.com/en/ - Answer RC supported driver.
JamesHealey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 04:52 AM   #13
Tech Elite
 
blis's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 3,434
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbakker View Post
It has nothing t do with what you are saying, it has to do with simple mechanics.
The way the cars are designed, the forces introduced in the chassis by the braking system (servo to brake cam) and the pulling force of the side belt. Both give a torque moment in the chassis that makes it bend, next to that the rear wears due to contact with the tarmac.

Just put your blocks when adjusting the downstops under both axles fr+rr during setup and you will be ok,
when you start driving al your laps within 0.2s. then its time to change the chassis once in a while.
Our Cap chassis bends also and I agree with the above, the aluminium is also a heat sink for the engine, add continual stresses and it bends slightly, and no we havent hit anything hard. When a couple of mm deviation to a chassis plate makes the difference, then I too will change ours.
__________________
RC Cars: E4/G4/TCX/LAB-C02/T4'15/MM Engines
WEB: Beachmums Racing - MYRCM Race Registration
Media: Amain - RCRacingTV - RedRC - LiveRC - blisx264
blis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:18 AM   #14
Tech Rookie
 
RH93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Lisserbroek, Netherlands
Posts: 2
Default

This is Roy trying to fix his bent chassis on his Serpent 748..
Attached Thumbnails
chassis bent-roybakker.jpg  
__________________
Capricornrc
Maxima Fuel
RH93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:34 AM   #15
Tech Master
 
DS Motorsport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 1,437
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

And this is what happens when you're being a "Kruidenier" and try to bend it back again:





Credits go to "rbakker"
__________________
P1-RC.com
DS Motorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 01:00 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net