R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Need to true front foam tires for 1/10? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/85378-need-true-front-foam-tires-1-10-a.html)

superon 09-27-2005 08:19 AM

Need to true front foam tires for 1/10?

Is it necessary to true 1/10 touring new front foam tires?

I was advised to true it so asto save my engine. But Cannot really understand why?

Is this true for all 1/10 car or only certain setup? I run a Kyosho V1RRR.

duneland 09-27-2005 08:31 AM

You need to maintain the relative diameter of the tires. If you replace the front tires and keep the worn rear tires, the larger front tires will give a lot of 'overdrive' to the front end. This will affect handling, but have no effect on the engine.

superon 09-27-2005 08:39 AM

Assuming I used new tires for front and rear. Do I still need to true the front? The original dia is 64.5mm, I was advise to true to 63mm. So the engine does not need to work so hard.

Rapid Roy 09-27-2005 08:52 AM

Thats not the reason to true the tires. If you want a certain gearing, change your gears. Truing the tires gives you less sidewall flex and better handling. So the smaller the better. The downside is that you don't get much use out of a set of foams. You can also miscalculate tire wear and end up running on the plastic rim. Guys with tire sponsors don't care about how many sets of tires they run so they can have optimal handling. If you arn't a-main or nationals level yet, don't bother truing.

You can true a new set of foams to make sure the diameters are the same and you can straighten out a coned set of tires if you have a truer, but you don't really need to start off with smaller foams unless you can take advantage of the increased handling. If your foams are coned, you don't have to sweat it either. The higher end tire truers have the ability pre cut the cone into the tires.

Solara 09-27-2005 10:58 AM

I have another reason why need to true a new set of FRONT foam instead of rear foam....(and I do agreed with all of the above reasons)....
Touring car's rear tires will wear FASTER and MORE then the front no matter what shores you are using....after 5 or 10 minutes, you will ended up smaller diameter rear tires, then the front tires, if you did not true the front tires by like 1-1.5mm....

yes, for 30 or even 45 minutes, no matter how you true it, the rear will ended up smaller then the front........but if you true the front tire first, you will have the best roll out of the car from like 10-25 minutes mark.....that is the period you can get the best run of the setup.

Again, this is a must do work for those die-hard racer or team/factory drivers......for local club racing, fun racing....it is NOT a must. But for like $10-11 per pair, I think a lot of ppl don't mind to true off 1-1.5mm on front tires and have a better run of their car...

Correct me if I am wrong...

DS Motorsport 09-27-2005 02:17 PM

I True my tires every time i drive. Just 1.5 mm in off the front tires.
With a 710 it's a must to true the tires. If they have the same diameter you have overdrive to the front. So you have a lot of understeer.
I use 2 set's of tires on a club race. One set for the quali's and one for the finals. but our club level is very high. All the top driver's of the country drive on our club(Heemstede, Netherlands)

AndyT © 09-27-2005 03:53 PM

If youre using the RRR in its stock form, there needs to be a 2mm split in diameters between the front & rear tyres (front smaller than rear) to maintain the stock overdrive ratio.
Theres a data/setup sheet that comes with the kit....inside this you`ll find a front/rear overdrive ratio table which will show what affect the various tyre diameters have on overdrive.
Cheers

dct147 09-28-2005 10:57 AM

how much difference would it make if one would to run on brand new tires compared to trued tires?

would it make a big difference?

this thread has made me contemplate on getting a tyre truer in the near future.

Solara 09-28-2005 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by dct147
how much difference would it make if one would to run on brand new tires compared to trued tires?

would it make a big difference?

this thread has made me contemplate on getting a tyre truer in the near future.

Tire truer is no longer a expensive item....a decent one is around $250US that doesn everything automatically, however, the truer is like TOOLS, like AMB PT, one day you decided to quit or upgrade, their resale value are still very high.........

Of course, I am not talking about selling the truer 20 years later...

Sow&Steady 09-28-2005 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by DS Motorsport
I True my tires every time i drive. Just 1.5 mm in off the front tires.
With a 710 it's a must to true the tires. If they have the same diameter you have overdrive to the front. So you have a lot of understeer.
I use 2 set's of tires on a club race. One set for the quali's and one for the finals. but our club level is very high. All the top driver's of the country drive on our club(Heemstede, Netherlands)

This is the REAL reason why you need to true the difference in diameter no matter what car. All "racer" cars, 710, MTX, RRR etc have a slight amount of overdrive however I do agree with everyone that it is not mandatory or compulsory to do.

As for Heemstede, one of the "top drivers" would be Julius. :nod:

dct147 09-29-2005 11:18 AM

thanks for the reply.

but, how much difference does it make if i were not to true my tyres?

i`ve never driven on trued tires before.

asw7576 09-29-2005 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by AndyT ©
If youre using the RRR in its stock form, there needs to be a 2mm split in diameters between the front & rear tyres (front smaller than rear) to maintain the stock overdrive ratio.
Theres a data/setup sheet that comes with the kit....inside this you`ll find a front/rear overdrive ratio table which will show what affect the various tyre diameters have on overdrive.
Cheers

Any info for Mugen MTX3 ? I'm using original box setup, no mod. I don't have tire truer so I have to use the tires as is.

My second question, is it possible to change the pulley teeth so I don't have to true the front tires and get no ill handling effect after 20-25 minutes race (rear tire wear faster issue) ?

Once I lost the rear belt, the car was doing low top speed. As soon as I replaced the rear belt, the car was running back to normal again. Is this mean the car is doing 2WD at mid to top speed, and 4WD at very low speed ? 4WD for few seconds under acceleration ?

asw7576 09-29-2005 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by dct147
thanks for the reply.

but, how much difference does it make if i were not to true my tyres?

i`ve never driven on trued tires before.

Front tires shaved: You feel the car is doing great ( feel good setup ) even after 20-25 minutes.

Front tires are not shaved : You feel the car is good for the first 10-15 minutes, after that the car feel like lousy setup.

I ask my friend to shave front tires during big race sometimes.

dct147 09-29-2005 12:26 PM

Front tires shaved: You feel the car is doing great ( feel good setup ) even after 20-25 minutes.
thanks.

i understand it better now.

ziggy12345 09-29-2005 01:42 PM

If you have the RRR you will find the optimum handleing when the rears are 62mm and the fronts 60mm. I true mine down to this from new for an important race.