R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 12-25-2014, 04:01 AM   #16
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

To be honest, I use a bottle of 100ml Tornado afterrun but only use it when I have driven in the rain or assampling engines (an I do a lot). one bottle of afterrun per year costing 2.99 is nothing compared to what you spend to this hobby. Catching a cold once a year and going to a drugstore will cost you more

Just use a good fuel which is (partial) based on a castor oil and there is no need for any kind of afterrun treatment. I use Runnertime fuel.
Old 12-25-2014, 06:31 AM   #17
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
To be honest, I use a bottle of 100ml Tornado afterrun but only use it when I have driven in the rain or assampling engines (an I do a lot). one bottle of afterrun per year costing 2.99 is nothing compared to what you spend to this hobby. Catching a cold once a year and going to a drugstore will cost you more

Just use a good fuel which is (partial) based on a castor oil and there is no need for any kind of afterrun treatment. I use Runnertime fuel.
Roelof, my crank will be rusty after 1 day in the sub-tropics...
blis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 07:05 AM   #18
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

Most fuel based on only synthetic oils can cause this. We have seen it a lot with the old formula Tornado mix. Synthetic oils mostly do attrack moisture. A always run fuels with castor in it and I even let a bag with some engines in the trunk of my car but no issues!
Old 12-25-2014, 08:03 AM   #19
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapper View Post
Save yourself some money and just get Marvel Mystery oil. Same stuff
the only thing with this and the use of transmission fluid is what happens to it when you start the engine. does it deposit layers of soot on the piston and combustion chamber? which are both a bad thing. deposits can lead to elevated cylinder temps and host of other issues in the long run.

this is why so many fuel (gasoline) companies are using cleaners in their fuels because gasoline leaves these deposits. transmission oil was never intended to be inside a burning cylinder.

I've never heard of after run fuels. I assumed the OP of the thread meant after run oil.

here's something else to ponder, I was looking at Tower hobbies website and the 2 after run oils they sell they say will deteriorate the carb orings. their tech notes say only put it in the glow plug hole and ignore the instructions on the bottle.

Last edited by mtpocketsracing; 12-25-2014 at 08:19 AM.
mtpocketsracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 08:36 AM   #20
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpocketsracing View Post
the only thing with this and the use of transmission fluid is what happens to it when you start the engine. does it deposit layers of soot on the piston and combustion chamber? which are both a bad thing. deposits can lead to elevated cylinder temps and host of other issues in the long run.

this is why so many fuel (gasoline) companies are using cleaners in their fuels because gasoline leaves these deposits. transmission oil was never intended to be inside a burning cylinder.

I've never heard of after run fuels. I assumed the OP of the thread meant after run oil.
i have use auto transmission oil for the past 7 years with no issue

here's something else to ponder, I was looking at Tower hobbies website and the 2 after run oils they sell they say will deteriorate the carb orings. their tech notes say only put it in the glow plug hole and ignore the instructions on the bottle.
kyosho malaysia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 08:47 AM   #21
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyosho malaysia View Post
ATF is different with manual transmission oil,MTO contain EP(additive)will cause sludge after high heat
kyosho malaysia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 10:41 AM   #22
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
Most fuel based on only synthetic oils can cause this. We have seen it a lot with the old formula Tornado mix. Synthetic oils mostly do attrack moisture. A always run fuels with castor in it and I even let a bag with some engines in the trunk of my car but no issues!
We use at racing, I it's 50 50 castor and synth

I do know when I go south to sydney or Victoria my engines burn much cleaner in the drier and cooler climates

In Thailand it was much the same as Brisbane. Higher temps, less oxygen, high humidity... All said, I have no conclusive truth to it with scientific backing, so it's all based on what I see.

I learned to enjoy pulling down engines, cleaning and enjoying longer life, good bearing life too. I do use colder plugs.

But back to bunch bear and the after run fuel....

Andrew, if it were me and wanted an easier way to manage after run... And please point out anything wrong as I've not ever done this....

Would warm up engine or directly after race... Remove plug, flush the engine on starter box with motor tech brake cleaner, thenuse after run... Removing the build ups from caster from bearings and removing any methanol with is a hydroxide... Then using any og the suggested oilsto prevent oxidation.

By all means ppl flame me if you like... Santa will still love me

Last edited by blis; 12-25-2014 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Stupid iPad with no arrow keys
Old 12-25-2014, 01:31 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Richard and I have been using the Harry after run process/ engine pull down and clean for last 18 months or so with no issues. Prior to that we left fuel (AT) in motor and packed it up till next fortnight. We had the worst looking bearings and many reliability issues.

Recently I have noticed rust on crank on fresh motor after using brake cleaner and it sitting over night.
Bundy_Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 03:17 PM   #24
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundy_Bear View Post
Richard and I have been using the Harry after run process/ engine pull down and clean for last 18 months or so with no issues. Prior to that we left fuel (AT) in motor and packed it up till next fortnight. We had the worst looking bearings and many reliability issues.

Recently I have noticed rust on crank on fresh motor after using brake cleaner and it sitting over night.
Well scratch that idea off the list...

Andrew there may also be a factor of running at night in the dew, seems there's no getting around the fact of a tear down where we live if you want a clean and shiny start to the next run

In drag racing they run their nitro engines with 2stroke petrol but they don't have rubber o-rings etc

I have an off road nova here, and here it is!

http://racing.beachmums.com.au/nitro...earing-change/

Last edited by blis; 12-25-2014 at 05:20 PM.
Old 12-27-2014, 06:37 AM   #25
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Can you guys get your hands on fogging oil? its an oil for storing engines. Readily available in the states.

Many companies make some.

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...e-fogging-oil/
mtpocketsracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 02:36 PM   #26
NCG
Tech Initiate

Hi

I'm new here at the fórum, at RC I'm not new, but I was away from this world for a long time, 12 years, now I'm rebuilding my first RC, Kyosho PureTen.

When I ran with above model, after stop it, I take Out all the Fuel by pulling the recoil, than put 2 or 3 drops of after run oil into the Engine and close / put the plug.

Now everything is new, better fuel, but nevertheless still thinking use the after run oil, what is your opinion?

Best Regards
NCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:06 PM   #27
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by blis View Post

Well scratch that idea off the list...

Andrew there may also be a factor of running at night in the dew, seems there's no getting around the fact of a tear down where we live if you want a clean and shiny start to the next run

In drag racing they run their nitro engines with 2stroke petrol but they don't have rubber o-rings etc

I have an off road nova here, and here it is!

http://racing.beachmums.com.au/nitro...earing-change/
Harry:
Just out of interest I made up a litre of after-run fuel with 10% Castor as have all the ingredients at my disposal. I ran a bit through the tank at the end of our practice day on Sunday afternoon, it was hard to keep the engine running but I persisted until the note of the engine changed and fuel line was empty. Then pulled the engine down when I got home to flush it out like I normally would with brake cleaner.
Have to say the after-run fuel with the castor oil covered a lot more of the internals then what I was getting with a bit of after run oil straight down the glow plug hole and giving it a bump. You could still see droplets of Methanol but it was sitting on top off the oil layer itself. I don’t know that I would like to leave it sit like this for a long time before I pulled it down and flushed it out, but in the short term it seems to be okay.

I'd be happy to give you some if you wanted to try it for yourself some time.

Talk soon
Andrew
Old 01-06-2015, 04:25 AM   #28
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundy_Bear View Post
Harry:
Just out of interest I made up a litre of after-run fuel with 10% Castor as have all the ingredients at my disposal. I ran a bit through the tank at the end of our practice day on Sunday afternoon, it was hard to keep the engine running but I persisted until the note of the engine changed and fuel line was empty. Then pulled the engine down when I got home to flush it out like I normally would with brake cleaner.
Have to say the after-run fuel with the castor oil covered a lot more of the internals then what I was getting with a bit of after run oil straight down the glow plug hole and giving it a bump. You could still see droplets of Methanol but it was sitting on top off the oil layer itself. I don’t know that I would like to leave it sit like this for a long time before I pulled it down and flushed it out, but in the short term it seems to be okay.

I'd be happy to give you some if you wanted to try it for yourself some time.

Talk soon
Andrew
Andrew, sounds like a much better option than after-run and good to hear it's coated better and it would considering there's a vacuum and combustion happening. I would after a few nights flush any build up of castor from the bearings even if its a simple back plate removal rather than a tear down.

Good on you for reporting the actual findings and let us know how it goes after a few events ok!

well done.

h

PS: Unless Luke can use it in a EP MOD, there's not much we can do with it for the moment. Want to come to Canberra mid year?
Old 01-06-2015, 03:20 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by blis View Post
Andrew, sounds like a much better option than after-run and good to hear it's coated better and it would considering there's a vacuum and combustion happening. I would after a few nights flush any build up of castor from the bearings even if its a simple back plate removal rather than a tear down.

Good on you for reporting the actual findings and let us know how it goes after a few events ok!

well done.

h

PS: Unless Luke can use it in a EP MOD, there's not much we can do with it for the moment. Want to come to Canberra mid year?
Harry,

Understand, will keep you posted.

Camberra in winter... I am a bear we normally hibernate in the colder months.

I'll talk to Richard

Take care
Andrew
Bundy_Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 05:00 PM   #30
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I use marvel mystery oil and it works great
leothegreat is offline   Reply With Quote