R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 12-06-2014, 07:48 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default Motonica vs Shepherd vs KM-K8 Please Help

I am currently in the market for either the rs3 , velox v8 or km k8 and I can't seem to decide which to go for, the motonica is a sweet ride and looks a very well fabricated kit but it's been around for a while now and not much has changed so I'm concerned it could be a little outdated,aesthetically the km k8 is a hot looking car with some top names having input into it but it's a new kit and it's common knowledge the first of any model is not always the best until it's put out there and all the bugs are tweaked out of it as for the shepherd again a very neat looking kit and it seems to have had good results and reports but not sure on the build quality or the capability of this car any suggestions or opinions are appreciated
fizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 05:39 AM   #2
Tech Master

and mrx6 is on the way out next year if you want to compare one more model.
in fact, most cars are on the very same competitive built, it all comes to the parts supplies in your local hobby shop.
choisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:54 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

+1 spares availability should be your biggest concern. Motonica does not have a distributor in the US, as such I have to get my spares from Europe which in the end is costly, but a price I am willing to pay. As far as KM I have not seen much support, also since Bertin left KM there are perhaps some bugs, yet that car has been developing for years and have not seen much of their car on track. KM keeps throwing out new posts every 5 minutes on their forum, which seems tacky as half the time they don't answer many questions. The Shepherd car is well represented throughout Europe and doing great, its a top notch car quality wise, yet here in the US, you see more Mugen, Xray and Serpent cars. Go to your local tracks where they run 1:8 onroad and talk to the racers and ask what is being run, see what is being run. A lot of times racers will share spares, provided you are running the same brand. Also keep in mind if someone is "sponsored" (no matter how little sponsorship) he /she may be getting free parts or discounted parts, and that may make it easier for them, but not others.

--->When in doubt try the Search Tab, it can and actually will lead to an Answer!
1/8 IC Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 03:15 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Agreed 1/8 ic fan shepherd, xray and serpent seem to have the better support and more abundant part options and motonica has been a little quiet of late locally and the local distributor has only rather recently taken over and is only stocking old rs parts which is a big worry when asked about current parts supplies was told needs to get the numbers up to make the orders which is not really what you want to hear anyway thanx for the input
fizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 11:45 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by choisan View Post
and mrx6 is on the way out next year if you want to compare one more model.
in fact, most cars are on the very same competitive built, it all comes to the parts supplies in your local hobby shop.
+1,most cars are on the very same competitive built,and the price and car parts is the most important thing you should consider.
last week i just got a motonica p81 rs3E
they sent it to my by EMS,i will receive it soon.
Jusitick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 01:49 AM   #6
Tech Adept

+1 absolutely mootnica,Km not find a good price.
Old 12-13-2014, 09:08 AM   #7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to g-wan Send a message via Yahoo to g-wan

for me just go to the track and find out what the best kit at your local racer drive but for me i prefer km after i switch from mugen, as i need more flex in front rather mugen style in middle but compare to price here km more cheaper from other brand or maybe its just only 6 of us using km
xray t3 2012 / tekin rs pro / reedy / savox
km racing / sworkz / xray / savox / sanwa / os speed / sweep / ulti / blitz
g-wan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 04:53 AM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Parts availability and driver/distributor support should be the biggest consideration, any one of the top cars be it Mugen, Shepherd, KM, Capricorn, BMT, Serpent, Xray can win at just about any level of the sport, but if you break a suspension arm and it takes you 4 weeks to get hold of one you're not going to get much joy from that chassis.

I ran Xray first half of the 2014 season, and I really struggled, I was the only driver running the RX8 in the UK, I would frequently get lost on setup and have no one to bounce ideas from, went back to Shepherd mid season and it's the best decision I ever made.
Old 12-26-2014, 05:25 AM   #9
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to DaRaceMasta

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-wan View Post
for me just go to the track and find out what the best kit at your local racer drive but for me i prefer km after i switch from mugen, as i need more flex in front rather mugen style in middle but compare to price here km more cheaper from other brand or maybe its just only 6 of us using km
lol km cheap?? where.. link me.. last i saw it was 1140AUD for a kit.. like waaat! , where as you can get a xray or shepp for 669 - 760
Old 12-26-2014, 09:37 PM   #10
Tech Adept

i think it is all ok,but everyone have different opinions,in Hongkong most people have motonica,for the car parts is easy to get.
vivi_gao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 03:30 AM   #11
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to DaRaceMasta

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivi_gao View Post
i think it is all ok,but everyone have different opinions,in Hongkong most people have motonica,for the car parts is easy to get.
nice car... lucky you.. as its a nice set up.. i see the main issue is the cost of engines which is the main factor when starting up within 1/8th on road.., looking at it from one perspective not everyone has the visual reflex and response needed.. or am i wrong.. practice practice. what i have said is based on others in 1/8th thinking that it would be scary to venture into the F1 of RC for its speed etc.. i miss the days of racing the 235mm class with NEO Attack and the sedan bodies.. and the sounds and sights of the 2001 worlds.. salvin and many others..

when money will be at hand ill consider getting a 1/8th on road.. such works of art.. gaah..