R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 11-17-2014, 08:29 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

There are a couple of other tracks that could be in the mix:

Gulf Coast Raceway in Porter (Houston), TX
MRO in Lincoln, NE

So, there are plenty of places to hold races. Just need to get racers to buy into the idea because there will be some that will come out and say it won't work. However, many of the naysayers will still find ways to travel to big ROAR races without batting an eyelash but say this won't work due to expense, distance, etc. Funny, many said the same thing about RC Pro and it still seems to be hanging around and running races everywhere for its participants.
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:49 PM   #17
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLock View Post
There are a couple of other tracks that could be in the mix:

Gulf Coast Raceway in Porter (Houston), TX
MRO in Lincoln, NE

So, there are plenty of places to hold races. Just need to get racers to buy into the idea because there will be some that will come out and say it won't work. However, many of the naysayers will still find ways to travel to big ROAR races without batting an eyelash but say this won't work due to expense, distance, etc. Funny, many said the same thing about RC Pro and it still seems to be hanging around and running races everywhere for its participants.
+1
2015 Roar Fuel On Road Nationals,U.S.World Nitro Cup Completed
2016 U.S. World Nitro Cup Dec 7th - Dec 11th
GMartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 09:01 PM   #18
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I think you guys are missing my point, but what do I know? I don't own a track, so I don't stand to make anything out of it, right? Since my ideas are to make it better for the average joe to race Ill refrain from commenting. Those with an agenda, comment away...SMH
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 09:40 PM   #19
Tech Elite

nitrodude,

I have no real dog in this hunt either because I don't own a hobby shop, race track, work for a r/c manufacturer/distributor, and outside of one small sponsor, I am a regular Joe racer myself. However, I have watched over the years since I joined onroad nitro r/c racing (in 2000) the attendance/participation decline steadily over the years. I remember the days when you had to sign up for a race months ahead of time to make sure you made the cut-off attendance limit for the race. Now, you can wait until you get to a race to sign up because no one hardly shows up. There are many factors behind why that is but in the long run, if the tide is not turned soon, who will be left to race against?

I like the fun and competition of nitro onroad racing. However, it is not fun when that is very little competition to race against. Since one organization is not doing much to attract new racers or improve attendance, I am open to give something else a try. You want my dollars to participate, then make it worth the time, money and effort for me to come and race.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:48 PM   #20
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Send a message via MSN to Pooh2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLock View Post
nitrodude,

I have no real dog in this hunt either because I don't own a hobby shop, race track, work for a r/c manufacturer/distributor, and outside of one small sponsor, I am a regular Joe racer myself. However, I have watched over the years since I joined onroad nitro r/c racing (in 2000) the attendance/participation decline steadily over the years. I remember the days when you had to sign up for a race months ahead of time to make sure you made the cut-off attendance limit for the race. Now, you can wait until you get to a race to sign up because no one hardly shows up. There are many factors behind why that is but in the long run, if the tide is not turned soon, who will be left to race against?

I like the fun and competition of nitro onroad racing. However, it is not fun when that is very little competition to race against. Since one organization is not doing much to attract new racers or improve attendance, I am open to give something else a try. You want my dollars to participate, then make it worth the time, money and effort for me to come and race.
I agree with you! I created this tread because I love Nitro On Road and have been in the game for a while now. I've seen the numbers decline each year and it seems like no one has a solution.

I see opportunity for Nitro On road to make a come back. I also believe that EVERYONE'S input is important even if they don't think it can work. You can learn a lot more from what goes wrong than what goes right.

Let's keep the comments going!

"Since the Bible and the church are obviously mistaken in telling us where we came from, how can we trust them to tell us where we are going"?
Pooh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 03:20 AM   #21
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooh2 View Post

I created this tread because I love Nitro On Road and have been in the game for a while now. I've seen the numbers decline each year and it seems like no one has a solution.
Seems like finding the causes of decline and coming to terms with them, would be the only way to not repeat them again.

Putting the blame on the "economy" doesn’t count as one of them.
Jspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 05:48 AM   #22
Tech Master

Seems like it could work to me.. Bigger names draw more people and I already see guys like Ralph, Paolo, D.J., ect. At most of those races with a group of hardcore racers that attend these events to. Guys like Paulie B and Mike Strack are at every race somehow LOL. Would also be good for growing nitro when you have everyone coming to your general geographical area at least once a year to race and possibly another time each season to test ( warmup race). Even if it doesn't work something needs to be attempted due to the hobby being in worse shape than ever. As a life long 12th scale guy (30 years) I can tell you that 8th is the most fun of anything and the reason it isn't bigger is simply because most electric guys never have a chance to see these go. Generating some interest would be awesome as many of those guys travel already (snowbirds, iic,the gate,Cleveland, nats, ect.)... So I'm not sure of the answer but I am sure that continuing to do nothing isn't the answer. I know that there are mixed feelings with George sometimes but he is the guy to tackle such a project. That dude lives and breathes this stuff and he has turned kissimme into one of the premiere facilities in the united States in short order
Old 11-18-2014, 06:20 AM   #23
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrodude View Post
I think you guys are missing my point, but what do I know? I don't own a track, so I don't stand to make anything out of it, right? Since my ideas are to make it better for the average joe to race Ill refrain from commenting. Those with an agenda, comment away...SMH
I dont have anything to make out of it either
this would be a time dedication from me take the blinders off no tunnelvision
Local joe can participate at there own level others a bit more
Example lets say cali participates average attendance is 90 you get 20 more drivers out of state that are going to attend just because they want to be a part of the series everyone wins

its about growing and supporting tracks and having some great experiences learning something new or just meeting and making new friends
your locals get the opportunity of being in attendance to support there local track/event

Whats wrong with that or would you just rather keep the same system in place cause its not growing anything were losing the excitement
Old 11-18-2014, 06:27 AM   #24
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspeed View Post
Seems like finding the causes of decline and coming to terms with them, would be the only way to not repeat them again.

Putting the blame on the "economy" doesn’t count as one of them.

I have to agree in certain parts
One of the biggest comments from a lot of drivers is
Our sanctioned blocks do not listen to the racers and that is the biggest downfall
This is an opportunity for the racing community to control and to sustain
We dont do anything keep losing racers then tracks keep closing it hurts everyone
Old 11-18-2014, 06:51 AM   #25
Tech Addict

I think the series is a great idea. I think those that think it will not work are looking at it the wrong way. It is unrealistic for an average Joe to have a shot at winning or finishing high in the points series due to the fact that most cannot travel to 4-6 races a year. Just show up to as many as you can and enjoy the high level of competition and growth that the series is intended to promote. If you get the Manufacturers to support the series and send their big guns like Burch, Morganti, Swauger Apaloro etc. the rest will follow. Ideally if the series shows promise you will even see some overseas interest similar to how the Whiting fam travels overseas to contend the ENS series.

G
Gael L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 09:58 AM   #26
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMartinez View Post
Just to give everyone an idea on how this would work
American Nitro Series
This program is not to create new races or conflicts but to get the tracks to work together on creating a point series on the popular races that most attend
lets say 7 tracks 1 drop This would be a level 5 event similar to a Nationals using Roar Rules
Classes
Sedan
1/8th Open
Gt 1/8th
Fort Myers Winternationals
California very successful event Ko Race
Toledo The Great Lakes Challenge
Joilet Bryons Challenge
Port Jervis North East State championship
Washington Grand Prix
FullThrottleRcRaceway U.S.Nitro World Cup

That's my Idea all the logisitics will follow if we get the tracks to work together and get the manufactures to back it we can build this to be as strong as the ENS
I understand not everyone can go everywhere financially but we have to try to build a foundation 1st
I like the idea of having an extra race were if possible all can attend to battle it out for the championship lets say a track that is not listed can host the championship.
The American Nitro series can help out our fellow track owners to get other drivers that never experienced or race at there track before
I like the idea of a series with existing races, but think 7 races are too many. The Eruo series is only 4 and its just their 2nd year. I think 3-4 race series to start with would be best and grow from there. We also need to look outside of the manufactures for sponsorship ( in addition to ). What if we got Delta and Holiday Inn to sponsor in kind with cheap rates. I just flew from Detroit to Fort Myers last month for $205 + 25 for luggage round trip for the Nats what if Delta gave us a $200 round trip all in price from anywhere in US and Holiday Inn gave us a $50/night rate would that get more people to travel ( just examples) Oh and Hershy need to kick in some candy too LOL
bmclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 10:22 AM   #27
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmclean View Post
I like the idea of a series with existing races, but think 7 races are too many. The Eruo series is only 4 and its just their 2nd year. I think 3-4 race series to start with would be best and grow from there. We also need to look outside of the manufactures for sponsorship ( in addition to ). What if we got Delta and Holiday Inn to sponsor in kind with cheap rates. I just flew from Detroit to Fort Myers last month for $205 + 25 for luggage round trip for the Nats what if Delta gave us a $200 round trip all in price from anywhere in US and Holiday Inn gave us a $50/night rate would that get more people to travel ( just examples) Oh and Hershy need to kick in some candy too LOL
That is a great idea of trying to get the airlines and more hotels involved as far as offering good rates to traveling racers. Some of the current races have deals with their local hotels already, which is good for areas in which rates are very high. But, if you can get the coporate head of an airline to throw in special rates (with a special code for booking) for flying to race destinations, who knows how many would attend that normally wouldn't because of travel costs.

Maybe start looking at racing program sponsorships outside of the r/c industry as well. Get local businesses to participate with advertising (banners) at special rates as well as maybe getting race sponsorship dollars from bigger corporations. Some love to spend ad dollars if it gets their name out there more and it helps to sell the products/services they offer.

I know that this is daydreaming but we have to start thinking a little outside the box because thinking within the box is not working right now. You can't get more participation if there is little to no exposure to what we do.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:07 PM   #28
Tech Champion

Now this is the dialog and direction we need to follow
Bill im working on the candy i might have some for december if your attending lol
Old 11-18-2014, 01:03 PM   #29
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMartinez View Post
Now this is the dialog and direction we need to follow
Bill im working on the candy i might have some for december if your attending lol
Can not make your Dec race but hope to be there for next FORGASS race.

I know of three RC racers who have or had family that work for hotel chains and they get a great "family" rate if we have any racers out there that could talk to HQ people to extend that to series racers would be awesome - both hotel and airlines.
bmclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 04:13 PM   #30
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmclean View Post
Can not make your Dec race but hope to be there for next FORGASS race.

I know of three RC racers who have or had family that work for hotel chains and they get a great "family" rate if we have any racers out there that could talk to HQ people to extend that to series racers would be awesome - both hotel and airlines.
Kool look forward to it

7 can turn into 4 depends on track participation