R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-19-2014, 09:00 PM   #1
Tech Elite
 
Bundy_Bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Brisbane, Qld
Posts: 2,628
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Thumbs up Alternative 2.0mm replacement tips

So I needed to replace the hex driver tip for my 2.0mm Hudy driver. Went to my LHS and he sold me an imperial one .078" (5/64) as it was a tighter fit in the head of the screw. Having known him for awhile I took his advice, to my suprise the vernier measures it at 1.98mm and the old 2.0mm tip (worn) was less then that at about 1.97mm roughly. Now to burn some nitro and wear down some foam tyres...
__________________
MissMooRC Racing
Find us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/missmoorc
Bundy_Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 10:00 PM   #2
Tech Master
 
Geezatec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,457
Default

You in AU, Queenland thought you guys be easy to get metric tools not fractional. Metric always a better fit. Lot of RC's are metric. Which bit you worn out? Hudy are best in the hobby Surprised you worn it out. Straight or Ball tips?? My tools are Hudy and bought in early '90's, havent worn them out!!
I use the correct tool for the job, that's why they have long longevity.

You gunna replace again within a year. 1.98mm smaller than 2mm, you'll round it out in time. Especially the ball tip.
Geezatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 12:47 AM   #3
Tech Elite
 
Bundy_Bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Brisbane, Qld
Posts: 2,628
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezatec View Post
You in AU, Queenland thought you guys be easy to get metric tools not fractional. Metric always a better fit. Lot of RC's are metric. Which bit you worn out? Hudy are best in the hobby Surprised you worn it out. Straight or Ball tips?? My tools are Hudy and bought in early '90's, havent worn them out!!
I use the correct tool for the job, that's why they have long longevity.

You gunna replace again within a year. 1.98mm smaller than 2mm, you'll round it out in time. Especially the ball tip.
It was a straight tip... and can guarantee that if any hex driver was excatly 2mm it wouldn't go into the head of the screw. In fact a brand new 1.5mm Hudy driver measures in at 1.46mm
__________________
MissMooRC Racing
Find us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/missmoorc
Bundy_Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 02:56 AM   #4
Tech Elite
 
blis's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 3,434
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundy_Bear View Post
So I needed to replace the hex driver tip for my 2.0mm Hudy driver. Went to my LHS and he sold me an imperial one .078" (5/64) as it was a tighter fit in the head of the screw. Having known him for awhile I took his advice, to my suprise the vernier measures it at 1.98mm and the old 2.0mm tip (worn) was less then that at about 1.97mm roughly. Now to burn some nitro and wear down some foam tyres...
Andrew,
1/16 * 25.4 = 1.5875 (Get 1.5mm grubs out)
5/64 * 25.4 = 1.98 (Too small for 2mm)
3/32 * 25.4 = 2.38 (Too big for 2mm)
11/128 * 25.4 = 2.1828125 (getting closer)
21/256 * 25.4 = 2.08359375 ( And there you go!! )
13/128 * 25.4= 2.5796875 (Good for 2.5mm)
AND IF YOU FIND THEM, GRAB ME TWO!!!
__________________
RC Cars: E4/G4/TCX/LAB-C02/T4'15/MM Engines
WEB: Beachmums Racing - MYRCM Race Registration
Media: Amain - RCRacingTV - RedRC - LiveRC - blisx264
blis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:08 AM   #5
Tech Lord
 
wingracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 12,730
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

No 2mm tip is actually 2mm. 1.97-1.98 is the norm.
__________________
Sean. Certified speed crazed mowron.
Team Shepherd USA
www.ashfordhobby.com
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 05:51 AM   #6
Tech Elite
 
blis's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 3,434
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
No 2mm tip is actually 2mm. 1.97-1.98 is the norm.
Wingracer, one of the members of our club had mentioned an imperial bit slightly larger than the 2mm for a tighter fit but with my calcs it's either a specialty item or doesn't exist.

I do know that the 1/16th (1.59mm) imperial bit is a life saver for 1.5mm metric grub screws.

PS: Wingracer is correct, our relatively fresh Hudy is 1.98mm
__________________
RC Cars: E4/G4/TCX/LAB-C02/T4'15/MM Engines
WEB: Beachmums Racing - MYRCM Race Registration
Media: Amain - RCRacingTV - RedRC - LiveRC - blisx264
blis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 08:36 AM   #7
Tech Master
 
Geezatec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,457
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundy_Bear View Post
It was a straight tip... and can guarantee that if any hex driver was excatly 2mm it wouldn't go into the head of the screw. In fact a brand new 1.5mm Hudy driver measures in at 1.46mm
I'm old fashion, using a 3.6mm(.130in) Flat blade screwdriver on my heads screws. I got tired of replace Allan head screws rounding off. Remember you're dealing with inlb not ftlb of torque or kg. you can figure out the conversion. Again Hudy replacements of bits are available here in US, if not available at LHS, you can order it online easily.
Geezatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 03:00 PM   #8
Tech Master
 
DS Motorsport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 1,437
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

You can also cut the first 1-2mm off the tip as soon as it starts to wear, round off.
This will give you a brand new tip and just takes a few seconds with the Dremel.

Personally I replace my 1,5 and 2,0 tip every year because I wrench a lot and almost all my screws are Ti and Alu. Don't want to risk stripping a screw on raceday when I'm in a hurry.
I really like the TiNi tips from Arrowmax.
__________________
P1-RC.com
DS Motorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 05:39 PM   #9
Tech Elite
 
blis's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 3,434
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS Motorsport View Post
You can also cut the first 1-2mm off the tip as soon as it starts to wear, round off.
This will give you a brand new tip and just takes a few seconds with the Dremel.

Personally I replace my 1,5 and 2,0 tip every year because I wrench a lot and almost all my screws are Ti and Alu. Don't want to risk stripping a screw on raceday when I'm in a hurry.
I really like the TiNi tips from Arrowmax.
DS if you go to hard on the metal with a dremel they can lose their temper can't they!? Some tips are longer, I've done the same but got nervous.

The best tool I've seen to help in the Fixing and Fitting Management department is...

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog
__________________
RC Cars: E4/G4/TCX/LAB-C02/T4'15/MM Engines
WEB: Beachmums Racing - MYRCM Race Registration
Media: Amain - RCRacingTV - RedRC - LiveRC - blisx264
blis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 04:51 AM   #10
Tech Elite
 
Bishop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 2,212
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS Motorsport View Post
Personally I replace my 1,5 and 2,0 tip every year...
+1

For the tiny cost of tips, it's worth it, using worn tips is hard on the hex in the screws, use of worn tips chews them out fast.
__________________
QRCCRA
www.qrccra.org.au
www.facebook.com/englandparkraceway
www.myrcm.ch/main?pLa=en&hId[1]=org&dId[O]=4331
Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 10:15 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net