R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-10-2014, 10:25 PM   #31
Tech Master
 
gsxr0311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Francisco CA
Posts: 1,205
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

Thanks dj.
__________________
Special Thanks to: RC Target, Ko Propo USA, O'Donnell glow plugs, A Main Hobbies-SWORKz USA, R1 Wurks, and Absolute Hobbies.

Capricorn: LAB-C802, LAB E801, LAB-C03, TE03, and P01 235mm. SWORKz: S350BK1 EVO II, S104EVO, S12-1M. Top Rebel 12.
gsxr0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 04:44 PM   #32
Tech Master
 
gsxr0311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Francisco CA
Posts: 1,205
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

I finally had a chance to race this car for the first time over this past weekend and I must say the car felt awesome from the first time out. The car turns really good, has great traction, and is super easy to work on.
__________________
Special Thanks to: RC Target, Ko Propo USA, O'Donnell glow plugs, A Main Hobbies-SWORKz USA, R1 Wurks, and Absolute Hobbies.

Capricorn: LAB-C802, LAB E801, LAB-C03, TE03, and P01 235mm. SWORKz: S350BK1 EVO II, S104EVO, S12-1M. Top Rebel 12.
gsxr0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:26 AM   #33
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: San Jose
Posts: 230
Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)
Default

Anyone had this problem? I've only ran the car twice and this just doesn't seem normal? All three pins move in and out but not side to side. I've never seen this before.

kingtito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:29 PM   #34
Tech Elite
 
dj apolaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Miami, Fl.
Posts: 2,372
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtito View Post
Anyone had this problem? I've only ran the car twice and this just doesn't seem normal? All three pins move in and out but not side to side. I've never seen this before.

For sure that is not normal. Check with your local dealer to see how they can help you. I am sure they will handle the issue for you.

DJ Apolaro
__________________
Capricorn RC, Capricorn Tires, Novarossi World, Spektrum, Horizon Hobby, PROTOform, RCTarget, IGT8.
dj apolaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 05:39 PM   #35
Tech Fanatic
 
kickass's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Sydney
Posts: 767
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtito View Post
Anyone had this problem? I've only ran the car twice and this just doesn't seem normal? All three pins move in and out but not side to side. I've never seen this before.

Tollerance issue, just loctite them in with the red stuff, they will be fine
__________________
"KicKass "OS" Racing Engines" "capricornrc.com.au"
"RC Arena" Home of "Maxima Fuel"
kickass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 08:31 AM   #36
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: San Jose
Posts: 230
Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)
Default

Thank I'll try that.
kingtito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 01:40 PM   #37
Tech Master
 
DS Motorsport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 1,437
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtito View Post
Anyone had this problem? I've only ran the car twice and this just doesn't seem normal? All three pins move in and out but not side to side. I've never seen this before.

Which kind of tool do you use to hold the flywheel while tightening?.

If you use the Hudy style tool which is secured around the pins this is your problem.
This kind of tool can bent the pins and loosen them if you apply a lot of force during tightening.

I had this problem before and Patrizio told me this was the cause of the problem.
Since then I use a pair of pliers with plastic grips and never had the problem again.
You can also bend the pins slightly without noticing but it will hurt the performance of your clutch.
__________________
P1-RC.com
DS Motorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 02:04 PM   #38
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: San Jose
Posts: 230
Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)
Default

I use the Tamiya Flywheel pliers
http://www.amain.com/tamiya-non-scra...l-pliers/p4866
kingtito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 04:13 PM   #39
Tech Master
 
DS Motorsport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 1,437
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

That's the best tool you can use.

In your case the flywheel is probably out of tolerance and should be replaced.
I wouldn't advice glueing the pins back in, they will loosen up again eventually. Most of the time 5 minutes before the end of a race when you are in a good position.
__________________
P1-RC.com
DS Motorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 07:25 AM   #40
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Salem
Posts: 999
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Gotta give a shout out to Capamerica. I ordered some parts, and they accidently through in a wrong part. They shipped the right ones within 3 days from FL to OR. and tossed in a shirt.
Thanks, hope you guys do good at the winter nats!
__________________
T.O.P Racing USA

"This T-bird will put a spell on you"
Mr.A Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:11 AM   #41
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: San Jose
Posts: 230
Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)
Default

I've been trying to get a hold of Cap america leaving messages for over a week now. I've yet to hear from anyone. I'm trying to get the defective flywheel replaced. Anyone know what's going on there?
kingtito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:10 AM   #42
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Salem
Posts: 999
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

It took a couple calls but, I just called the number listed on their site. I figured its probably like any other "smaller" (meaning not A-main or X-ray LOL) distributor where they don't have someone there full time.
__________________
T.O.P Racing USA

"This T-bird will put a spell on you"
Mr.A Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:47 PM   #43
Tech Fanatic
 
kickass's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Sydney
Posts: 767
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS Motorsport View Post
That's the best tool you can use.

In your case the flywheel is probably out of tolerance and should be replaced.
I wouldn't advice glueing the pins back in, they will loosen up again eventually. Most of the time 5 minutes before the end of a race when you are in a good position.
You dont glue them in, you lock tite them in with

LoctiteŽ 263 High Strength Threadlocker


LoctiteŽ 263 High Strength Threadlocker is a Versatile, high strength liquid threadlocker. Reliably locks and seals metal fasteners up to 1 in. Engineered to cure consistently on a variety of metals, despite minor surface contaminants. Works on steel, stainless steel and most plated fasteners. Tolerates thread lubrication, corrosion protection anti-fluids. Rated for 360°F (180°C). Heat required for removal.

Features

High performance on various metals.
Improved temperature resistance (180°C).
Improved oil resistance.

Technical Data:
Passive metals cure, oil tolerance and high-temperature performance
Typical applications: Replaces LoctiteŽ 270 and LoctiteŽ 271 formulations
Viscosity: 400/600Cp
Cure Time: Fixture - 5 min Full - 24 hrs
Break torque: 23N.m
Prevail torque: 33 N.m

GET THE PICTURE.... It WILL NOT fall off.

Or you can buy a new one if you have money to throw away.
__________________
"KicKass "OS" Racing Engines" "capricornrc.com.au"
"RC Arena" Home of "Maxima Fuel"
kickass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 07:31 AM   #44
Tech Regular
 
P2gee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: TX
Posts: 364
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickass View Post
You dont glue them in, you lock tite them in with

LoctiteŽ 263 High Strength Threadlocker


LoctiteŽ 263 High Strength Threadlocker is a Versatile, high strength liquid threadlocker. Reliably locks and seals metal fasteners up to 1 in. Engineered to cure consistently on a variety of metals, despite minor surface contaminants. Works on steel, stainless steel and most plated fasteners. Tolerates thread lubrication, corrosion protection anti-fluids. Rated for 360°F (180°C). Heat required for removal.
Loctite Threadlockers are great products if used correctly and for the proper application. These clutch pins on a aluminum flywheel are what I would consider a wrong application for the product. Loctite Threadlock is a anerobic sealant, meaning that it sets up and cures in the absense of air. In the product description, it is mentioned that it works on steel,stainless steel, plated fasteners, but notice no mention of aluminum. In terms of crystalline structure, aluminum is like a sea sponge compared to steel and can allow air to migrate to the loctite causing cure problems that are hit or miss at best. I think loctite makes a primer (Primer T I believe) that helps on the aluminum problems, but by the time you buy the loctite and the primer, you almost have a new flywheel in hand.
__________________
Airtronics M-12
Capricorn C802
www.motorists.org
P2gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:37 AM   #45
Tech Elite
 
lil-bump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The Cold Great Lakes
Posts: 2,903
Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2gee View Post
Loctite Threadlockers are great products if used correctly and for the proper application. These clutch pins on a aluminum flywheel are what I would consider a wrong application for the product. Loctite Threadlock is a anerobic sealant, meaning that it sets up and cures in the absense of air. In the product description, it is mentioned that it works on steel,stainless steel, plated fasteners, but notice no mention of aluminum. In terms of crystalline structure, aluminum is like a sea sponge compared to steel and can allow air to migrate to the loctite causing cure problems that are hit or miss at best. I think loctite makes a primer (Primer T I believe) that helps on the aluminum problems, but by the time you buy the loctite and the primer, you almost have a new flywheel in hand.
+1 Your clutch is too important to rely on some lock-tite . Get a new flywheel.

Pass you soon...
__________________
Elliott Hart
Serpent America
Desoto Racing Team
Chicky fan club member #9
One Eighth Racers of Toledo
lil-bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Tags
c03, capricorn, labc03


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:34 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net