Wiki Posts
Search

Mugen 1/8th On-Road Nitro GT ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 07:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default Mugen 1/8th On-Road Nitro GT ?

Hey Guys, the 1/8th nitro GT class is very popular in the North East and I'm considering converting one of my MBX-6 chassis to a GT Platform. Frankly the pivot ball front event is probably the best for an on-road application.

So question. Do you know of anyone you make a two speed transmission for the MBX-6? Also, short shock towers and shocks. I figured I'll have to do my own fabrication but thought I'd ask if someone knows of someone who makes a conversion. A nice winter project… thanks
Old 09-03-2014, 07:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Carl Giordano
Hey Guys, the 1/8th nitro GT class is very popular in the North East and I'm considering converting one of my MBX-6 chassis to a GT Platform. Frankly the pivot ball front event is probably the best for an on-road application.

So question. Do you know of anyone you make a two speed transmission for the MBX-6? Also, short shock towers and shocks. I figured I'll have to do my own fabrication but thought I'd ask if someone knows of someone who makes a conversion. A nice winter project… thanks
Not sure if you followed my Tekno thread below. I modded serpent towers no big deal. And you can use a Serpent 2 speed depending on the internal ratio on that buggy. Or the OFNA or Team C tranny.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

There is a fast conversion of the MBX7 running in LA. He used the MRX two speed and and used the Team C mount with a custom top plate. He used front shock on both front and rear. Check the GLARCRC site on Facebook as I think you will see some pictures,
Old 09-04-2014, 04:54 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Grenade10
There is a fast conversion of the MBX7 running in LA. He used the MRX two speed and and used the Team C mount with a custom top plate. He used front shock on both front and rear. Check the GLARCRC site on Facebook as I think you will see some pictures,
Thanks for the response as you reminded me to call over to Mugen for some info. Robbie guided me to a proper conversion which I'm in the process to gathering parts. These include short MBX6 shock towers from SNR Graphite, and MRX5 two speed, a Losi Muggy clutch bell and some other goodies I will post for those interested. Kyosho body posts
Old 09-04-2014, 10:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Thanks for the response as you reminded me to call over to Mugen for some info. Robbie guided me to a proper conversion which I'm in the process to gathering parts. These include short MBX6 shock towers from SNR Graphite, and MRX5 two speed, a Losi Muggy clutch bell and some other goodies I will post for those interested. Kyosho body posts
Please share...i have the towers,body post,shocks.
Was stuck on what top plate,2spd,clutch bell...
Old 09-07-2014, 09:09 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by statton iv
Please share...i have the towers,body post,shocks.
Was stuck on what top plate,2spd,clutch bell...
Use a Losi Muggy Clutch bell as the Mugen MRX gears screw right on. The guys are using an MRX 2 speed for the center. The cut the shaft from the 2 speed the fit within two Kyosho GT center plastic mounts. Hey use he old style kyosho drive cups with a grub screw. Use a kyosho GT center diff top plate. When I get to this stage I will share some photos
Old 10-08-2014, 01:36 AM
Tech Initiate

Has anyone got any pics of this or a guide on how to do it, would love to make one.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Here's one I've seen in Cali.
Attached Thumbnails Mugen 1/8th On-Road Nitro GT ?-20140726_160911_resized.jpg  
Old 10-10-2014, 05:12 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by mrlahey
Has anyone got any pics of this or a guide on how to do it, would love to make one.
Plus 1. Im lost on the center 2spd parts and clutch bell.
Have the body mounts, towers,2 sets of frnt shocks, & a buggy waitin to turn in 2 a gt8.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:11 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by statton iv
Plus 1. Im lost on the center 2spd parts and clutch bell.
Have the body mounts, towers,2 sets of frnt shocks, & a buggy waitin to turn in 2 a gt8.
What did you use for body mounts and towers? Am hoping to convert a MBX7
Old 10-11-2014, 06:36 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JPFX
What did you use for body mounts and towers? Am hoping to convert a MBX7
Body mounts and bumper from gt2.
Towers from http://www.snrgraphite.com/
Old 10-11-2014, 10:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I love seeing this diversity in the GT8 class. This class has exploded over the last couple of years. Good luck with the conversions . Maybe Mugen will release one.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:13 PM
afm
Tech Master

Originally Posted by spooky 1
I love seeing this diversity in the GT8 class. This class has exploded over the last couple of years. Good luck with the conversions . Maybe Mugen will release one.
Hear that Mugen, it´s time you jump in the GT8 class....make one...there is a lot of mugen fans waiting for it.

AFM
Old 11-05-2014, 10:42 PM
Tech Adept

I have made both an MBX6 and 7. The 7 is better, both using MRX5 2 speed gears on a special made shaft with serpent outdrives. The MRX5 is 5mm longer than the serpent, hence the need to make special shaft and top support. I am using the MBX6 split centre with a 5mm spacer to keep clearances for the gears. Also using the MXB6 rear drive shaft as it is smaller. I am in Thailand for the 1/10 worlds, will post pictures when I am home.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I am glad there is a thread for this now. I am overseas right now with the military. Thankfully I live close to Robbie in he LA area so my conversion will be easy since I will have him available for face to face tech help. He just won and Tq'd with his car recently. I saw the car in person for the Novarossi Challenge and it was dialed. I purchased a serpent GT last year but run mugen off road buggies. I will most likely sell the serpent and convert my MBX7 nitro. I will talk with M2C since they make an after market chassis and see if they can make a handful of chassis with the center diff mount holes already drilled in the correct location. I know Robbie and Motto who drive in LA are pushing mugen to make a GT.

I just got this message back from Robbie on the suspension set up.

"I'm running MBX7R front shocks in the front and rear. Stock Pistons, OFNA X3 GT springs in the front, and team C GT ultra hard springs in the rear. 4,000 wt diff oil in the front shocks and 2,000 wt diff oil in the rear shocks."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.