Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
New prototype of "machine" to measure springs and diffs >

New prototype of "machine" to measure springs and diffs

New prototype of "machine" to measure springs and diffs

Old 08-28-2014, 05:08 AM
BRT
Tech Rookie

Default New prototype of "machine" to measure springs and diffs

Today I want to show you one machine a friend has design, which allow to measure and compare assembled differentials (to know which one will give us more traction or more control,...)

It allow to measure diffs mounted on the car, which gives a big advantage in any race.

Here you have the complete articles and videos (in spanish) but I think with a translator is easy to understand, and if you need more info you can ask here

Complete articles with videos:

Diffs:

http://www.cochesrc.com/medir-dureza...eva-a5818.html

Springs:

http://www.cochesrc.com/medir-y-comp...-rc-a5817.html

Thanks and hope you enjoy!!!! Please comment ideas, suggest improvements,... This is only a prototype.

Last edited by BRT; 08-29-2014 at 12:43 AM.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:42 AM
BRT
Tech Rookie

Here the direct link to the videos:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

+ YouTube Video
Old 08-29-2014, 06:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

That is really COOL!

Will definitely be a very useful tool. Any idea when a production type will be available. Or plans available to build one?
Old 09-01-2014, 04:02 AM
BRT
Tech Rookie

There are three prototypes at the moment that are being tested by some 1st level drivers.

After these tests which began in the past Euro Championship 2014, with good results, it probably goes into production,

Thanks!
Old 11-14-2015, 09:44 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Did these ever make it into production? This is a very valuable tool that us racers could use.
Old 12-04-2015, 04:03 AM
Tech Elite

Yes. I would also be interested in knowing if anything came of this........

Regards
BM
Old 12-04-2015, 06:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

I see no viable need for this machine. Why do I need to measure my diff action???

Pass you soon...
Old 12-22-2015, 03:54 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by lil-bump
I see no viable need for this machine. Why do I need to measure my diff action???

Pass you soon...
I like this idea myself.
Being able to test the resistance in your diff', the "diff' action" would, I think, be very beneficial for recording car set up's.
Being able to assign a number relative to the feel of a diff' would help in being able to replicate that same car set up in future.
I am sure a lot of driver's understand the importance of diff' setting's in racing, this machine would help in recording setting's that prove, on the track, to be ideal.
Going back to a track, pulling out your set-up sheet and being able to set your diff' to this "ideal" number will give you a real good start to your weekend's racing.

The shock spring tester need's to be handled a little more carefully I feel.
But it would serve the same purpose in set up as the diff' discussion above and would really work in the same way as colour coding of spring's we already have and use now. But applying a number to them. This number would relate to how strong the spring is and could be used in set up programs too.
In all. I like this machine idea.

Regards
BM
Old 12-22-2015, 06:24 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by British Menace
I like this idea myself.
Being able to test the resistance in your diff', the "diff' action" would, I think, be very beneficial for recording car set up's.
Being able to assign a number relative to the feel of a diff' would help in being able to replicate that same car set up in future.
I am sure a lot of driver's understand the importance of diff' setting's in racing, this machine would help in recording setting's that prove, on the track, to be ideal.
Going back to a track, pulling out your set-up sheet and being able to set your diff' to this "ideal" number will give you a real good start to your weekend's racing.

The shock spring tester need's to be handled a little more carefully I feel.
But it would serve the same purpose in set up as the diff' discussion above and would really work in the same way as colour coding of spring's we already have and use now. But applying a number to them. This number would relate to how strong the spring is and could be used in set up programs too.
In all. I like this machine idea.

Regards
BM
I guess my true point is If 100k diff fluid worked well in the rear at a certain track that is all I need to know. I do not need to know what the resistance is for 100K. Can you tune 100K fluid for 110k??? I can not...

Matching springs is not in my race strategy. I just use the manufacturer data on the package for a reference. ie... If Xray says a spring is 30lbs then I go with that.

Pass you soon...
Old 12-22-2015, 08:18 AM
Tech Adept

delete
Old 12-22-2015, 08:18 AM
Tech Adept

I guess my true point is If 100k diff fluid worked well in the rear at a certain track that is all I need to know. I do not need to know what the resistance is for 100K. Can you tune 100K fluid for 110k??? I can not...

Matching springs is not in my race strategy. I just use the manufacturer data on the package for a reference. ie... If Xray says a spring is 30lbs then I go with that.

Pass you soon...
100k with Steel Gears is different to 100k with Carbon Gears, would be nice to know that "difference"
Old 12-22-2015, 10:38 AM
Tech Elite

Pass you soon...
I can understand that very much. I would say for some, it's a different way of keeping set up notes on your car.

One thing on diff's and tuning with silicone oil. Your 100K diff' may well have the resistance of 90K diff; the next time you fill it.... why?

Well, just for example, the first time your diff' may have been new with new gearing, new shims and o rings. The next time, all these will be broken in offering less resistance. You may not fill with exactly the same amount of fluid.
Also, the temperature your diff' run's in and get's to (ie A 1 hour final) will effect the diff' resistance.
Your 100K Diff will feel like 70K (With everything else being the same) in a one hour final in 95 degree heat!!
Knowing the resistance of your diff' via a number, you would be able to account for these irregularities.

It is a personal choice of course and I can well understand either approach.
My self, being a technical type, I would like the measuring machine.

Just on a side note. If a air pocket is left in the diff' when filling, this will cause more resistance, not in the diffing action, but in rolling resistance then if the diff' has no air pocket at all.

Regards
BM
Old 12-22-2015, 10:39 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by thilo-alexander
100k with Steel Gears is different to 100k with Carbon Gears, would be nice to know that "difference"
Good point.

Regards
BM
Old 12-23-2015, 09:08 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Pass you soon...
You assume that you're diffs build the same way every time for a given fluid weight. They don't. Factors such as whether you use shims, gaskets, how tight you tighten down the screws, old vs new gears, how much run time is on the fluid, brand of fluid and how hot/cold the diff plastic is all determine how the diff is going to react and how much "tension" it creates. RC car diffs are not precision manufactured components and are quite sloppy. The fact that we are tuning with fluid weight in a plastic component is an indicator of how sloppy the accuracy and precision is. You can build 10 diffs on your bench the exact same way with the same oil weight/brand and I assure you the output tension will be different on each. For offroad cars this wont be as big an issue but still something has will have an affect on how the car drives and needs to be tuned. With us onroad racers it is far more critical to have consistency in the resistance of our diffs to be able to consistently and accurately tune our cars. And the spring rates are not the same between springs either. This tool would be extremely valuable.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:35 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RoketRdr
You assume that you're diffs build the same way every time for a given fluid weight. They don't. Factors such as whether you use shims, gaskets, how tight you tighten down the screws, old vs new gears, how much run time is on the fluid, brand of fluid and how hot/cold the diff plastic is all determine how the diff is going to react and how much "tension" it creates. RC car diffs are not precision manufactured components and are quite sloppy. The fact that we are tuning with fluid weight in a plastic component is an indicator of how sloppy the accuracy and precision is. You can build 10 diffs on your bench the exact same way with the same oil weight/brand and I assure you the output tension will be different on each. For offroad cars this wont be as big an issue but still something has will have an affect on how the car drives and needs to be tuned. With us onroad racers it is far more critical to have consistency in the resistance of our diffs to be able to consistently and accurately tune our cars. And the spring rates are not the same between springs either. This tool would be extremely valuable.

My point exactly...You just listed a ton of variables that could effect the resistance of a diff of which 90% of them you have no control over.
Where would your baseline be? There is no practical way you can tune a diff(other than changing the fluid) So why measure it... Maybe on a ball diff???

I am not trying to be a kill joy.

Pass you soon...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.