Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
WHAT ARE THE BEST TRACKS IN THE USA FOR NITRO ON-ROAD 1/10 & 1/8 SCALE RACING??? >

WHAT ARE THE BEST TRACKS IN THE USA FOR NITRO ON-ROAD 1/10 & 1/8 SCALE RACING???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WHAT ARE THE BEST TRACKS IN THE USA FOR NITRO ON-ROAD 1/10 & 1/8 SCALE RACING???

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 07:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default WHAT ARE THE BEST TRACKS IN THE USA FOR NITRO ON-ROAD 1/10 & 1/8 SCALE RACING???

WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT THE RACERS OPINIONS ON THE BEST PERMANENT ON ROAD TRACKS IN THE US ARE,AND ONLY RACERS NO TRACK OWNERS OPINIONS PLEASE!!YOUR INPUT ON SMOOTHNESS OF THE RACING SURFACE,TIRE WEAR,TECHNICAL ASPECTS AND FLOW OF EACH TRACK, AND OVER ALL EXPERIENCES THAT YOU MAY HAVE HAD ATTENDING THE EVENTS AND RACES!!LETS HERE UM GUYS THIS IS A GREAT WAY TO HAVE SOME FEEDBACK ON WHATS GOING ON IN THE RC SCENE IN THE STATES.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

The BEST is impossible to determine every track still around in the USA has it unique details and features that makes them individually Awesome.

Here's some info on the tracks I have attended.

1. HOMESTEAD Raceway- Homestead, FL
You can't beat the size (huge) which provides Awesome speed and technicality. Very flowing layout with elevation changes, provides great racing action. Plus Floridas awesome climate all year round, puts this one on top.

2. Leisure Hours Raceway- Joliet, IL
Beautiful track the red, white and blue painted layout with raised edges is a must see and race on. Silky smooth asphalt, super fun layout, raised pit lane and Air conditioned pits... Neff said go race!

3. GulfCoast Raceway /Mikes Hobby- Porter, TX (my home track)
Hosted the 1/10 Fuel Worlds a few years ago. A TRUE First Class Facility. Awesome size with plenty of opportunities for battling for position. Covered pit area surrounding the track, awesome two story driver stand, on site bar and full kitchen serving food at events. Texas BBQ and Real Mexican food a few blocks away.

There are a few other tracks on my bucket list that I hope to vist.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Follwing Tony's lead, here are tracks that I have run at in the past few years:

MRO Track Lincoln Nebraska, hosed ROAR nats in 2010 current location for the Heart of America Series. Track is 210 x 100 with elevated drivers stand, track flows pretty well with medium traction at most events. Surface is getting a little old, but prep is keeping tire wear in check. Great group of racers and saturday night BBQ at the track for the HOA races is fun. This is what I would call my home track, as we have very little nitro racing in Colorado at this point and what we do have is suited for 1/12 or maybe 1/10 scale, and no place to run any 1/8 scale stuff.

Toledo Eight Scale Racers Toledo OH - Track hosted ROAR nats in 2009 and does part of the Midwest Series races and GLC race. Probaly one of the smoothest track around, just repaved, nice drivers stand and covered pits. Track is 260 x 120track is a ton of fun, just really uses fuel.

Mikes Hobbies in Porter TX - Long track at 270 x 90 has off camber sweeper at the end of the long straight that is fun to set up for, but good infield to keep you working to get the lap times down. All the items as Tony noted above. I've been to this track at least once over the past three years and ALWAYS have a great time.

Liesure Hours Track - Joliet IL, I've run the Byrons race 3 out of the 4 past years and this track and event is just fun. Great traction, easy on tires (ok so us GT guys are really working them hard) indoor pits, raised pit lane. Place you need to make it to. Track is around 230 x 110.

Time Zone - This track is a Euro style paved track, the only that I have raced on in the US and I had a great time there. Traction is good, layout is fun ..... running the "Flush" line as I called it from the sweeper off the straight back into the infield was a kick. Banked corners with some techinal stuff tossed in to keep you on your toes. The event includes dinner saturday night and if you are of age, margatia's. They also have had special races for bar stools, go carts ....... or what ever else the "Holigans" can come up with. Thinking this track is probably 260 x 140 but not really sure.

The next is a temporary track, but the racing is some of the best around at this point. The GLARCRC club runs at the Artisian Transit Center in Gardena CA. Layout that they have been using is the same since the 2013 ROAR nationals, size is 220 x 110 and flows pretty well. You have to keep the car off the "Curb" going onto the straight and getting a good reference point for the turn off is sometimes a moving target (parked cars seem to change) but the track makes you work for a lap and do not over drive the corners. Largest group of racers that are running currently. Last race there they had 6 heats of 1/8 open, 3 heats of 1/8 Masters, 4 heats of 1/10 touring, 3 heats of Gt and 1 heat of 1/5 scale. Surface is far better than some permanant tracks, racers are fun to hang out with just hate the LA traffic to get to the track. So stay close if you can.

I also had run at Floyd Bennett in New York prior to the storm damage. Track surface was ok, grip was high when I was there. Driver stand was ok but the unload and pitting required some carrying of stuff. Track is located in a Park and they did not allow you to park next to your pit. If quick, you could drive in and drop your stuff off. Localls had the drill down, we stayed in NJ and drove in each day. Bridge tolls were a little more than what I would have expexted. Meet some great racers and had a great time. Track size seamed about the same as Lincoln, so 220 x 100.

I have seen the pictures for Port Jervis, and would like to make it there. Info that I have been sent, says very smooth with good traction, but don't know until I make the trip. Probably not this year. Looks like I will also be making my first trip to race pavement in Florida this year so will be interesting to run on Fort Meyers. Some day may over to Homestead but Florida is such a drive from Colorado (really preffer to drive with my nitro stuff, electic does not matter)

Now for a track that I have run on and we have lost - I had run on the Silverbowl in Vegas for many events back in the late 80's early 90's and was one of the best tracks that I have been to and if running today, the layout would still be a good one. Plus 4 hours closer than LA.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Grenade10
Follwing Tony's lead, here are tracks that I have run at in the past few years:

I also had run at Floyd Bennett in New York prior to the storm damage. Track surface was ok, grip was high when I was there. Driver stand was ok but the unload and pitting required some carrying of stuff. Track is located in a Park and they did not allow you to park next to your pit. If quick, you could drive in and drop your stuff off. Localls had the drill down, we stayed in NJ and drove in each day. Bridge tolls were a little more than what I would have expexted. Meet some great racers and had a great time. Track size seamed about the same as Lincoln, so 220 x 100.
I would definitely not count Floyd Bennett as one of the best tracks—far from it.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

I concur with Tony and Mark for the most part. The tracks they mentioned are among the best. I do miss the Vegas Silverbowl and Denver's track was very fun. GLARCRC in L.A. is temporary , but one of the best run shows around and great racing.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by spooky 1
I concur with Tony and Mark for the most part. The tracks they mentioned are among the best. I do miss the Vegas Silverbowl and Denver's track was very fun. GLARCRC in L.A. is temporary , but one of the best run shows around and great racing.
Ditto!
Old 08-07-2014, 05:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by spooky 1
Yes I miss the CORRC pavement track as well. Was a parking lot, but with good prep and track was up from Mid March to late September. That has to be 4/5 years ago when I meet you and Andy and ran GT8's ..... Good times.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:41 PM
Tech Regular

HOMESTEAD RC SPEEDWAY IN HOMESTEAD FL AND FULL THROTTLE RACEWAY IN KISSIMMEE FL CLOSE TO ORLANDO ARE SIMPLY SUPERB !!! HERE ARE 2 VIDS THAT I SHOT MYSELF FOR YOU TO SEE !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSBAZyRqUw0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXiW2aV1ZV4

ENJOY !!
Old 08-07-2014, 07:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Yb2fast
HOMESTEAD RC SPEEDWAY IN HOMESTEAD FL AND FULL THROTTLE RACEWAY IN KISSIMMEE FL CLOSE TO ORLANDO ARE SIMPLY SUPERB !!! HERE ARE 2 VIDS THAT I SHOT MYSELF FOR YOU TO SEE !

ENJOY !!
Thanks for the compliment
I think the proper statement would be to list favorite tracks to race during certain months as they are a lot of great tracks out there
My favorite time permitting in August the GLC 1/8th Racers of Toledo awesome track great program affordable Hotels
I been to some of the best tracks and still have yet to get to all of them so I'm looking forward to 2015 and to visit leisure & GLARC next year
Old 08-07-2014, 09:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I havent been to all those tracks but have heard good things about Joliet, GLC and few others.
I have been to Kissimmee (new Kissimmee) and loved it, port jervis is the track I race at, and if you have a chance you gotta get there. Im at floyd every now and then for practice sessions, but its not the same as it used to be. Only because its not raced on anymore and doesn't get the attention it needs. Port jervis is fast and high traction, just crazy fun to drive on!!!
Old 08-07-2014, 09:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Yb2fast

ENJOY !!
I was at that race, I'm still amazed by that 1/8 A3
Old 08-08-2014, 07:39 AM
Tech Regular

1. FOUR WAY TIE: FLORIDA TRACKS. Have visited all the Florida tracks (Nuggets Ranch, Ft Myers, Kissimmee, Homestead) and drove on two of them (Nuggets and Homestead). When it comes to fuel on road layouts and surfaces, Florida has it covered.

2 GULF COAST RACEWAY< PORTER TX. Track with the best amenities of any in the United States. The snack bar and its equipment alone cost as much as most other tracks operations around the country. And when nature calls on those 103 degree race days, the air conditioned restrooms are soooo nice.

3.RCRCNT RENDON TX> Ok, got my Nomex suit on for this one but hear me out. If your expecting a billiard table smooth surface, stay home. If your expecting skys the limit traction and pinning your throttle wide open and steering your car around, stay home. But if you don't mind a track that has character and requires you to THINK about setting your car up and THINK about your steering and throttle inputs for an entire race, then come down and give it try. One of the few tracks around with a drivers stand elevated enough so you don't have to guess where your car is on the back straight. Yeah, its the red headed step child of RC tracks in this country, but the red headed step child is kinda cool once you get to know him.

4.HONORABLE MENTION IN THE GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN CLASS: CINCINNATI WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP TRACK HAMILTON OHIO. Here again was another track that required you to be good with your setup and driving to do well. Excellent drivers stand with good perspective of the track. Got to race there one time, came back with my tail tucked between my legs. Pretty tough crowd in Ohio. Always wanted to go back but never got the chance.

Last edited by P2gee; 08-08-2014 at 08:31 AM.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:34 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by GMartinez
Thanks for the compliment
I think the proper statement would be to list favorite tracks to race during certain months as they are a lot of great tracks out there
My favorite time permitting in August the GLC 1/8th Racers of Toledo awesome track great program affordable Hotels
I been to some of the best tracks and still have yet to get to all of them so I'm looking forward to 2015 and to visit leisure & GLARC next year
GEORGE...YOU ARE WELCOME AND KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK !!
Old 08-08-2014, 08:14 PM
Tech Addict

I HAVE BEEN TO NUGGETS RANCH,FT MEYERS,AND TO FULL THROTTLE RACEWAY IN KISSIMMEE,FLORIDA HAS SOME NICE PERMANENT TRACKS!!!MY FAVORITE FOR RACING IS FULL THROTTLE THE TRACK CAN RUN MULTIPLE LAYOUTS FROM TECHNICAL TO FAST FLOWING LAYOUTS GRIP IS ALWAYS MEDIUM TO HIGH..THE SURFACE IS SMOOTH AND TIRE WEAR IS ALWAYS GOOD!!!
Old 08-09-2014, 06:46 AM
Tech Elite

Q, I love you my dude. Delete this tread dawg. Trust me. Or just let it die.

We are FORTUNATE to have FOUR WONDERFUL TRACKS here in FLORIDA!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.