Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Season ending....what do you do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 10:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default Season ending....what do you do?

Curious as to what you guys who live in areas where Nitro racing is only a summertime event. Unfortunately I got back into the hobby late into summer and have a strong desire to build a Nitro sedan.

Wondering, do you guys normally sell your kit at end of season and purchase a new one before the season starts? Do you take advantage of season end deals and hold onto throughout the winter/spring?

Half of me says do not spend much and buy a used kit and the other half says buy a new one and make it a winter project.

Curious to hear some thoughts.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Photocycler
Curious as to what you guys who live in areas where Nitro racing is only a summertime event. Unfortunately I got back into the hobby late into summer and have a strong desire to build a Nitro sedan.

Wondering, do you guys normally sell your kit at end of season and purchase a new one before the season starts? Do you take advantage of season end deals and hold onto throughout the winter/spring?

Half of me says do not spend much and buy a used kit and the other half says buy a new one and make it a winter project.

Curious to hear some thoughts.
Last winter I decided to get a new kit for my XMas present.(We buy our own gifts). I bought a 747..Now this XMas will be a 748!!

Nothing better than building a new kit. If you get a used car, you can tear it down and rebuild it. Unless its seen little use, you'll spend about 70% of the cost of a new kit on parts, bearings, and the other incidentals..
Old 09-01-2014, 11:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I agree with the above. A new kit is a good thing to go for as you know where you'll be starting. I've had second hand cars in the past that look good on the outside but once you get stripping it you find all sorts of worn bits and bobs and end up replacing parts all over the place. You could be lucky and find a car with hardly any time on but nothing like opening up a new kit
Old 09-01-2014, 12:19 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

purpose to play = used kit
purpose to learn and win = new kit

theres no point in getting a used kit which you know nothing about either. might as well get a new kit that you know nothing about. again, depends on the purpose.

in onroad, the parts wear out very fast, so best to buy a new kit unless the used it is priced at 80% less than the new kit. and individual parts bought separately add up to more than a new kit
Old 09-01-2014, 12:30 PM
Tech Addict

the whole transmission drive train,if you buy the individual parts of it, are more expensive. cvds+belts+plastic pulleys+ spurs+ diff pulleys + drive shafts of the diffs +bearing set + lower and upper arms + drive shafts =cost half of a new kit

so

cost of used kit + tranny revision set = 1.5 times the new kit, rough estimate depending on the cost of the used kit

why change these parts in the first place?

plastic pulleys melt. teeth become dull, less sharp, belts loose their teeth, bearings rust and clog up and have more inner diameter play that cause failure, drive shafts cvds and their pins wear out within 10 tanks and chassis scrape up to make setting up in the set up board unreliable. worn out drive shafts and cvd's create turbulence on the plastic arms, creating more play in the arm pins

worst case is if you get aluminum bulk heads that are bent and dont even know it until you tear the car apart and put the bulk head on the set up board a check its straightness. if its bent, you're screwed for sure. and you wont know until after you have bought it

that's why virtual rc is a hit!

Last edited by GPXJOE; 09-01-2014 at 12:36 PM. Reason: edit2
Old 09-01-2014, 01:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TeamCarnage
Last winter I decided to get a new kit for my XMas present.(We buy our own gifts). I bought a 747..Now this XMas will be a 748!!

Nothing better than building a new kit. If you get a used car, you can tear it down and rebuild it. Unless its seen little use, you'll spend about 70% of the cost of a new kit on parts, bearings, and the other incidentals..
+1000 I learned this lesson a lot, getting a good deal and not having to rebuild something used is one in a million!
Old 09-02-2014, 07:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Move to Austin, Texas where there is weekly racing year round at Hobbytown Austin
Old 09-02-2014, 10:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

I move to indoor carpet racing for the winter and rebuild my GT in the off season.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Come to SoCal, our last race is in the middle of December, and the first one in the end of january
Old 09-02-2014, 11:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Our season opener is this weekend.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I am not complaining as we are very lucky here...we have a world class indoor and world class outdoor track and many other options within a couple hour drive.

Although I would love to run a gas car year round, I am happy running indoors for the winter.

Thx everyone for your feedback...seems it makes sense to buy a new kit during winter when the black friday/xmas sales are out and wait it out until next summer.
Old 09-03-2014, 03:52 AM
Tech Addict

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by spooky 1
I move to indoor carpet racing for the winter and rebuild my GT in the off season.
Yep Spooky and I cry/throw a tissy putting the nitro away for the winter. We then try and figure out where the nitro goes on the 12th pan cars hehe.

Note: spilling a little nitro inside your pitbag can spark that fire within. electric just doesn't excite me like nitro does. BRAAAPPPPPP!!!!!
Old 09-04-2014, 03:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Sub-Tropics here, we race all year round, it's awesome.