Community
Wiki Posts
Search

radio question again..

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 08:47 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default radio question again..

whats the big difference between the futaba 3pk and the M11, need a radio now i can get my hands on the futaba 3pk today, or should i wait for the M11 to come off back order..

question is if i get the 3pk now, will i be selling myself short? either/or, i was planning on dropping that new spektrum dsm in one or the other..

what should i do?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was at my LHS today, and he told me that Futaba and Hitec are coming out with their 2.4 Ghz version toward the end of the year.
They will be making full blown 2.4 Ghz radio/receiver kits, as well as offering their own radio module/receiver setup for existing radios.
I've been using my Hitec Lynx 3D w/Spectra module and a Novak XXtra for years, and I love this radio.
Hitec's 2.4 Ghz system is probably going to blow Spektrum away knowing the price point they're going to release it at.
I have to give Hitec the edge on this one. They were the first to come out with a synthesized radio years ago, before anyone really caught on to it, and they pack a lot of performance into their radios for the money.

Last edited by epicbloodline; 08-27-2005 at 09:01 AM.
Old 08-27-2005, 09:21 AM
Tech Elite

3PK is excellent choice. Don't think you would be giving anything up compaired to M11. Both are top notch.
Old 08-27-2005, 09:29 AM
Tech Apprentice

they both seem like there the same thing what do you think..

but if futaba comes out with something later in the year i'll be pissed..
Old 08-27-2005, 12:55 PM
Tech Initiate

I have the 3pk and love it... I was looking through the new features of the m11 and didn't see any that would sway me in the direction to purchace one.

get the 3pk
Old 08-27-2005, 07:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Yep, the 3PK is a great radio....the only tiny downpoint i can find with it, is its a bit heavier than some radios.
Cheers
Old 08-28-2005, 09:06 AM
Tech Regular

Location: The Milkyway/Planet Earth/Europe/Sweden/Skåne/Malmö

Also I love my 3PK, it's main advantage is the large display that makes progamming so much easier. As someone said, it could be a little heavy, but then go and ge yourself a neckstrap (the cheap method) or get a 3-cell LiPoly 11.1 volt battery, a friend on the track uses the last method, and with DSM module (no heavy antenna) and Li-Poly the radio is really light..

Buying it won't dissapoint you..
Old 08-28-2005, 09:29 AM
Tech Elite

I beleive the M11 is just as heavy, if not heavier. Helios or JR Z1 is best choice. The very best ergonomics of any radio, all the best features, and has excellent ballance.
Old 08-28-2005, 09:56 AM
Tech Regular

Aint the Helios a little hard to navigate/program with that (compared to the 3PK) small display?

Personally I like the 3PK's ergonomics better than the Helios, but thats all personal.
Old 08-28-2005, 12:49 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by New_Toasted
Also I love my 3PK, it's main advantage is the large display that makes progamming so much easier. As someone said, it could be a little heavy, but then go and ge yourself a neckstrap (the cheap method) or get a 3-cell LiPoly 11.1 volt battery, a friend on the track uses the last method, and with DSM module (no heavy antenna) and Li-Poly the radio is really light..

Buying it won't dissapoint you..
I am using on my 3PK 8 x 2500 mA batteries from Sanyo. Would I get longer battery life when I use the 3-cell LiPoly 11.1 V battery? Any ideas?
Old 08-29-2005, 11:49 AM
Tech Regular

I guess that depends on the LiPo's capacity, but a friend of mine uses this set-up, and he charges it like one time per month, so I guess they give great battery life..
Old 08-29-2005, 12:57 PM
Tech Adept

I've looked at a lot of radios and even tried some when I was looking to replace my old trusty JR XR6-FM radio, and ended up with the 3PK. This radio really is fantastic. It feels great, has great balance, an adjustable wheel and easy programming on a very clear display. You can even configure the color of the power LED . And with a pack of 2500mAh NiMH cells it has great run time... Definitely one of the best radios available now. And you can upgrade it with a spectrum unit if you want...
Old 08-29-2005, 04:45 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by New_Toasted
Aint the Helios a little hard to navigate/program with that (compared to the 3PK) small display?

Personally I like the 3PK's ergonomics better than the Helios, but thats all personal.
No, the Helios is very easy to navigate (unlike previous KO designs). It has a small screen, but displays 4 things at once. You simply scroll up or down, select the function you wish to adjust & hit back button after adjustment is made. You are then back to the menu. It is really natural and straight forward.
I should have stipulated; WITH the drop-down/adjustable wheel option, it is the most ergonomic radio on the market. That takes into consideration; weight, balance, hand position & finger postion. Having the adjustable angle allows adjustment for different 'girth' of the drivers .
KO has put more engineering effort into the 'fit' of their tx than than the others, but the bottom line is, which one 'feels' right to you!
3pk has a great feel, and should fit well in most peoples hands. One thing for shure, these two radios are first class!
Old 08-29-2005, 08:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

3pk is the best. the weight stressed on your hand also balance becoz of the ergonomic design plus easy access shortcut buttons.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (95%+)

Originally Posted by epicbloodline
whats the big difference between the futaba 3pk and the M11, need a radio now i can get my hands on the futaba 3pk today, or should i wait for the M11 to come off back order..

question is if i get the 3pk now, will i be selling myself short? either/or, i was planning on dropping that new spektrum dsm in one or the other..

what should i do?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was at my LHS today, and he told me that Futaba and Hitec are coming out with their 2.4 Ghz version toward the end of the year.
They will be making full blown 2.4 Ghz radio/receiver kits, as well as offering their own radio module/receiver setup for existing radios.
I've been using my Hitec Lynx 3D w/Spectra module and a Novak XXtra for years, and I love this radio.
Hitec's 2.4 Ghz system is probably going to blow Spektrum away knowing the price point they're going to release it at.
I have to give Hitec the edge on this one. They were the first to come out with a synthesized radio years ago, before anyone really caught on to it, and they pack a lot of performance into their radios for the money.
honestly i had the same problem,i went from a futaba t3pdf,to a jr xs3,to a m8 to a helios by far the helios is the most comfortable(for me).

do yourself a favor all the top brands have the same features they just call it something else buy what feels right not look,brand or who uses what you will just end up dissappointed in the end buy what feels good in your hand its all about comfort when your an the stand.
steven