Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Radio system problem.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 02:05 PM
Tech Adept

Arrow Radio system problem.....

I have a JR xs3 non pro synth radio. I've put it into my r40 and set the throttle and the break no prob with the standard servo. Then i get to the metal gear servo for the steering. Took me forever to try and set it up but nothing got it perfect for me . The left would turn more than the right and i had to turn it to like a 40 endpoint difference to even it out abit. I ran it for quite some time like that and gotta used to it sadly. Today...While rebuilding part of my car i try to set up the servo again and look for problems in the linkage for binding or damaged areas. None. Then i try setting the endpoints again this time i go all the way down then all the way up through many settings. When i got to 0 left i could still turn left . Then i turned it to 0 right nope...no turning. I slowly increased the left endpoint and it would turn more and more. However the right side had NO movement till i got to like 27 . Is the a manufacturing defect or something with the servo or what. Its been quite some time and do u think they will fix it for me? 3 year warranty and it hasnt reached 3 years yet about 1 or 2 though. OR is this fixable on my own

Thanks for your guys imput
Old 08-25-2005, 02:16 PM
Tech Adept

Is there a way to set the midpoint in the manual? Maybe your midpoint is set way too much on the right hand side than it should be. Maybe if you play with the settings on the midpoint, that would help. Can not think of anything else right now. I hope someone with more knowledge on the radio and servo can help you better.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:27 PM
Tech Master

Sounds like a servo problem to me. If it works fine with a standard servo and the metal gear servo doesn't work, then its the new servo. Are you using the correct servo horn? You can't use one mfg's servo horn on another.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:59 PM
Tech Adept

no mid point just trim adjustment. The dual rate trim(is it?) is at zero so no change. The servo horn is compatabe. Besides how would that affect the endpoints. Maybe a new servo is a must. Better start saving for that good digital one i had my eyes on i guess
Old 08-25-2005, 06:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

If your servor horn is not the right one for your servo, or if the horn is striped, the servo can slip on the horn and no turn it enough. Sounds to me though, like your servo is not centered right.

Set all the steering adjustments on the radio to 0, then set the horn at whatever angle the cars amnual tells you to, the try it again. You have to center the servo before you install the horn.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:22 AM
Tech Elite

i think this is your problem.do u center the servo first before you put on the servo horn????and do u put the servo horn the right way(in my ntc3,the servo horn is slightly angled(not 90 degrees from the servo),that might be the problem.check your manual.hope this helps
Old 08-28-2005, 03:57 PM
Tech Adept

ok so ill play around with the trim and all the little things a bit more and see if i can land it. I guess i gotta do some linkage things too. The horn isnt causing the problem. Something that the radio manual says. Is that there is two different trim settings on the radio....sub trim and jus...trim. If i play around with this i should be able to find something...Yea i think it was my own error.... . I found out that sub trim affects the steering in different ways as does the trim. . I think i read the manual wrong. cause i am pretty sure it said one can change the midpoint of the servo without affecting the other settings...guess i was wrong then(which probably caused the servo mishap)...Any ways of centering ur steering and wheels without special set-up tools? I may have to adjust the toe to cause i have no clue what the degree is
Thanks for helping me out everybody...

Last edited by Greenbox; 08-28-2005 at 04:10 PM.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:42 AM
Tech Adept

Centering steering and wheels can be done by putting a ruler on the wheel and seeing if it lines up properly with the wheel on the other side. So if you put a ruler against the back wheel, it whould line up with the front wheel. Then all your wheels are straight. After that, you can adjust toe by changing settings equally on both the left and right side of the chassis. Making it drive in a straight line is done on the track, using the sub trim. I have actually set up my serpent 710 this way, and when putting it in the hudy it turned out to be perfectly symmetrical. You want to invest in a camber gauge though...