Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1/8 scale kit suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 08:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

Questions?? 1/8 scale kit suggestions

very interested in getting an 1/8 scale nitro car. got to see a few in action today at the track, and i'm sold. however i want to do proper research before i buy my next kit. i cant afford a 500$ mistake lol.

seems like ofna has some amazing 1/8 scale chassis, such as the new X3 GT or the DM1

the WR8 3.0 by HPI looks like an awesome machine as well, considering it would be suitable for dirt also.

my needs:
-not majorly competitive
-easy to work on, maintain, clean
-easy to get parts for (i dont want to wait on parts to ship from japan)
-400-500$ to spend, im hoping you guys can help me spend wisely

thanks for all input!
Old 06-15-2014, 08:24 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zakariah
very interested in getting an 1/8 scale nitro car. got to see a few in action today at the track, and i'm sold. however i want to do proper research before i buy my next kit. i cant afford a 500$ mistake lol.

seems like ofna has some amazing 1/8 scale chassis, such as the new X3 GT or the DM1

the WR8 3.0 by HPI looks like an awesome machine as well, considering it would be suitable for dirt also.

my needs:
-not majorly competitive
-easy to work on, maintain, clean
-easy to get parts for (i dont want to wait on parts to ship from japan)
-400-500$ to spend, im hoping you guys can help me spend wisely

thanks for all input!
Zak go for the Ofna X3 kit. Power with a Novarossi ISON GT on-road engine. Or a mill of your choice. Ofna is a great product (IMHO)...Excellent spare parts availability and support from all. Check out Ofnas 8th rally cars also. Good luck!
Old 06-15-2014, 09:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jimmy Lauri
Zak go for the Ofna X3 kit. Power with a Novarossi ISON GT on-road engine. Or a mill of your choice. Ofna is a great product (IMHO)...Excellent spare parts availability and support from all. Check out Ofnas 8th rally cars also. Good luck!
never owned an Ofna, but they really do look very well built. and that x3 looks absolutely sick in person. i got an old tc3 off ebay with an older used nova .12 engine, and i couldnt be happier with performance/ease of tuning. i definitely want a nova engine for this baby

i've only purchased rtr kits in the past, is there anything else i'll need to build the x3 roller?

engine, radio, servos?
Old 06-15-2014, 09:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

The new X3 is pretty quick out of the box, but the DM1 Spec can be a solid purchase as well. Both will get you started, but updates are needed with both. Best buy may be the Serpent or Serpent RTR. The full car does not require many parts, the RTR may need a few parts.

X3 and DM1 will.

I am running the X3 and spent 3 years running the DM1, and have parts and set ups that help. You can find good deals on used DM1's for around $200 and some have the up grades. I have a roller if you are interested.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:34 PM
Tech Elite

never owned an Ofna, but they really do look very well built. and that x3 looks absolutely sick in person. i got an old tc3 off ebay with an older used nova .12 engine, and i couldnt be happier with performance/ease of tuning. i definitely want a nova engine for this baby

i've only purchased rtr kits in the past, is there anything else i'll need to build the x3 roller?

engine, radio, servos?
Ison engine is a good choice, radio is personal preference but I've run Futaba for 20+ years. Servos need to be high torque, my preference is High Voltage / High Torque. Servos will cost close to what the car does, but you will be happier with it on the track.

Parts for the X3, 10 degree hubs, buggy crown and pinion gear (43/13), metal break disk and fiber pads (get rid of the fiber disk and metal plates). The other items will help, but not required.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Grenade10
The new X3 is pretty quick out of the box, but the DM1 Spec can be a solid purchase as well. Both will get you started, but updates are needed with both. Best buy may be the Serpent or Serpent RTR. The full car does not require many parts, the RTR may need a few parts.

X3 and DM1 will.

I am running the X3 and spent 3 years running the DM1, and have parts and set ups that help. You can find good deals on used DM1's for around $200 and some have the up grades. I have a roller if you are interested.
would love some pics of the DM1 roller, post here or pm.

pm pricing also please.

considering going with a RTR. i dont think i can get an ison and a roller and servo's for under 600.. then again, i'm not racing competitively at all. just parking lot oval racing with friends.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

any more suggestions?

so far my thoughts are.. get the used dm1 roller, invest in a nice engine, then later on, get an x3 pro kit (if i get into GT racing hardcore)

wouldn't mind having 2 1/8's later on down the road. always good to have a back-up, or a loaner for a friend.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:07 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

any more suggestions?

so far my thoughts are.. get the used dm1 roller, invest in a nice engine, then later on, get an x3 pro kit (if i get into GT racing hardcore)

wouldn't mind having 2 1/8's later on down the road. always good to have a back-up, or a loaner for a friend.
Cool!!
Old 06-16-2014, 02:13 PM
Tech Elite

any more suggestions?

I can help with set up for racing with both the DM-1 and X3.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Serpent Cobra Gt RTR
Old 06-16-2014, 08:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

after looking up replacement parts & hop ups availability, ease of set-up, maintenance, cleaning, cost of chassis, engine, and servo's all factored into one.. the cobra gt rtr sounds like it is a great starting point for me in the 1/8 GT department. looks like an awesome rtr kit, with quality factory parts, and plenty of room for me to upgrade and customize this thing. should be here Friday, absolutely cannot wait!

and thank you to everyone who helped me out with advice/offers/suggestions. much appreciated!