Wiki Posts
Search

2005 IFMAR 1/8 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 12:08 PM
wad
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

He is not the last one, he is the 144th qualifier of the world. How many people do you think that play 1/8 around the world?
Old 09-09-2005, 12:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Is this WORLD RACE is OPEN racing..? Anyone can race there? Even if someone just brought the 1/8th that morning can race..? Or you have to have some ranking thru IFMAR or some sort of organization..? Just want to know....
Old 09-09-2005, 12:21 PM
Tech Rookie

At the 2wd worlds in Cinncinati all the entrants got a very nice huge gold coin with with the worlds logo on it.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:23 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Rookie Solara
Is this WORLD RACE is OPEN racing..? Anyone can race there? Even if someone just brought the 1/8th that morning can race..? Or you have to have some ranking thru IFMAR or some sort of organization..? Just want to know....
Top 30 from national event qualify but you can send in a resume most likely they will accept.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:24 PM
wad
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Good question, I want to know also
EDITED: Never mind, Thanks Robbie. So that means that is open for everybody with interest in showing up?
Old 09-09-2005, 12:26 PM
Tech Addict

In the US you must qualify at an earlier event. In the US you had to be top 40 at the Nats held by the RAMS in Santa Clara, CA. Alternately there is a certain cut off date where if there are still unused spots, you can send in your race resume and then you are evaluated to see if you will be accepted. After that you pay the $200 fee, spend a ton of money on motors and parts, airfaire, hotel, etc... and you're in. Other countries have similar qualifiers and I am not sure how they handle "write-in" entries. This is certainly not a "walk on" affair.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:32 PM
Tech Elite

I think it should b top 20 at our nats. Most US drivers get there asses kicked everytime theres a worlds, other than Swauger, Burch and Cyrul. We can't get higher than 30 most of the time.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:32 PM
Tech Master

I have never heard of a racer not being allowed to attend an a world event, so chances are good any one can go even if you have never driven an RC car before in your life. I've seen people stretch the truth on there application in order to in sure a spot.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Thanks Robbie(and others) for the answer.........I figured it must be some kinda minimum requirement for the WORLD race....afterall, a event for every 2 years, the F1 of RC........should not be raced for someone like me that can barely drive 1/8th....for real, I think I am OK at the local track, but WAY WAY OFF from the national, don't even bother to think about the WORLD even if I won the 275 millions $ lottery.........

If someone is not experienced in RC, its 1/8th is everywhere on the track, it does effect the rest of the driver....espeically the top dog, 1 slow car in front of them and don't know how to let the fast car go....will be a 1/2 sec delay.....1/2 sec will make the different between TQ and 2nd place...

P.S.....another interesting question, if a single (non sponcer) driver want to go to race the WORLD, how much will that be.......(the complete package of everything excluding tools and setup items, assumed the driver already has those...)
Old 09-09-2005, 01:31 PM
Tech Adept

Default worlds

couple quick answers:

If you are in the way due to mechanical or driving problems you are black flagged very quickly to give others the best shot to get a good run in.

I would estimate cost to attend a Worlds including travel, hotel, expendible supplies (tires, fuel, typical replacement parts) etc at about $4000-$6000
Old 09-09-2005, 01:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GK
I'm not trying to offend anyone, whoever the last guy will be is faster than I ever will be, I'm just trying to understand the format.
Just like any other place and any other sport, there are only a few Michael Jordans and Tiger Woods, as we have the Collari and Swauger and Bertin. In Ohio, two years ago, I noticed that a lot of the people from other countries were there for the hobby, and they had the money to spend. I met a couple of guys who knew they were coming here for their vacation, they thought it'd be fun to sign up. The event IS intimidating, but it's a good experience. For me.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:39 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ROARprez
couple quick answers:

If you are in the way due to mechanical or driving problems you are black flagged very quickly to give others the best shot to get a good run in.

I would estimate cost to attend a Worlds including travel, hotel, expendible supplies (tires, fuel, typical replacement parts) etc at about $4000-$6000
Ask Danniel Alvarado

Last edited by ROBBIE C; 09-09-2005 at 03:04 PM.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:45 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ROBBIE C
Ask Danniel Alvarondo
Thats mean....lol
Old 09-09-2005, 03:16 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ROARprez
couple quick answers:

From what I understand, for this years worlds it was requiring about 4-6k just for the round trip plane ticket.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

Originally Posted by P2gee
From what I understand, for this years worlds it was requiring about 4-6k just for the round trip plane ticket.
Realisticly, it cost around 15k USD to run the Worlds. Although after the top 50, the rest are there to have a good time (making up the numbers). You do want to be doing as well as you could. Hince, a new car or two, 5 engines (to pick out a good one), 50 sets of tires (you will end using 15 sets that is right for the track)...etc.

To get a spot on the drivers stand with only a few days of partice. Bring your own pit man and the airfare to go with it! It is common to see 20 guys lining up for the drivers stand.

Although most racers there is on some form of sponsership. There would be only about 30 of them that are on a full expenses paid factory ride.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.