Wiki Posts
Search

Something seems binding.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 09:47 AM
Tech Regular

Default Something seems binding.

Hi all,

This is my new problem i face. I`m driving a FW05.

whenever i turn, any direction, something seems to bind, causing my car to somewhat react in a way as though it has brakes on. but when i`m moving straight, all`s well.

i`ve checked my brakes, nothing`s wrong. in fact, the brakes arn`t even on whenever i turn. Ive checked the linkages. all seems fine. taken out all bearings and gave them all a good blast, checked my servo, fine also. But the same problem still occur. .

Does anyone have any idea about what else i should look out for?

Thanks!
Old 08-28-2005, 01:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Check that all the dogbones/driveshafts dont bind when the wheels are turned. I know you blasted the bearings, but did you check that they spin freely? Also it could be that the dogbones are allowed to move too far out fo the drivecups and its causing the whole thing to bind.
Old 08-28-2005, 02:27 PM
Tech Regular

all four dogbones are alright. not binding drive shafts too. all bearings spin freely. i`ve even lubed them. anything else i should look out for?
Old 08-28-2005, 05:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Sorry for being stuborn . Grab one of the front dogbones/driveshaft and push it towards the wheel. When you do that see how far out of the differential drivecup it goes. Sometimes they are right on the edge, and it will either shoot the dogbone out, or bind the drivetrain and cause it to seem like the breaks are on.

Other than that, I cant come up with anything else right now.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:59 PM
Tech Elite

when you said '...as though it has brakes on....' does it mean that it spins (losing the rear end) whenever you make a turn?
Old 08-28-2005, 09:58 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dct147
Hi all,

This is my new problem i face. I`m driving a FW05.

whenever i turn, any direction, something seems to bind, causing my car to somewhat react in a way as though it has brakes on. but when i`m moving straight, all`s well.

i`ve checked my brakes, nothing`s wrong. in fact, the brakes arn`t even on whenever i turn. Ive checked the linkages. all seems fine. taken out all bearings and gave them all a good blast, checked my servo, fine also. But the same problem still occur. .

Does anyone have any idea about what else i should look out for?

Thanks!

Your Track width might be too narrow so when you push the car down you dogbones might be bottoming out. So push your car down and hold it down and check to see if your dogbones still have play while the car is pushed down. If there is no play then you need to make your track width wider. Hope this helps.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:35 PM
Tech Regular

Sorry for being stuborn . Grab one of the front dogbones/driveshaft and push it towards the wheel. When you do that see how far out of the differential drivecup it goes. Sometimes they are right on the edge, and it will either shoot the dogbone out, or bind the drivetrain and cause it to seem like the breaks are on
my front dogbones don`t move much. just a slight bit. it goes out of the differential drivecup less than halfway. but my dogbones somehow feels a little stiff when i tried moving it.

what should i do?
Old 08-29-2005, 02:23 AM
Tech Adept

Are the drive cups on the diff or wheel side worn out? The dogbones tend to 'eat' away from the cups and when this gets too extreme it will look like something is binding. The cups may look fine on the outside, but you may notice the inside to be worn out.

This weekend when racing I noticed odd behaviour in my serpent 710. When coming out of a corner full throttle it would seem like the right rear wheel was 'hopping', while when rolling the car by hand it was perfectly smooth. Investigating further, I found the drive cup on the wheel side was binding when under stress, actually pulling up the suspension!
Old 08-29-2005, 03:03 PM
Tech Regular

Are the drive cups on the diff or wheel side worn out? The dogbones tend to 'eat' away from the cups and when this gets too extreme it will look like something is binding. The cups may look fine on the outside, but you may notice the inside to be worn out.
i`ve just checked my drivecups.

All`s well.

did i miss out checking anything?
Old 08-29-2005, 03:21 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by dodo
when you said '...as though it has brakes on....' does it mean that it spins (losing the rear end) whenever you make a turn?
I guess this is an important question but you haven't answered it yet.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:59 AM
Tech Regular

I guess this is an important question but you haven't answered it yet.
i`m sorry i didn`t see that post.

no it doesn`t mean my car`s spinning out. it`s like i`m turning with brakes on. no roll from my car as i would get when i`m gong straight.

is there anything i left out checking?
Old 08-30-2005, 11:02 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

i`m sorry i didn`t see that post.

no it doesn`t mean my car`s spinning out. it`s like i`m turning with brakes on. no roll from my car as i would get when i`m gong straight.

is there anything i left out checking?
I posted this earlier but you did not respond, check this this could be it.

Your Track width might be too narrow so when you push the car down you dogbones might be bottoming out. So push your car down and hold it down and check to see if your dogbones still have play while the car is pushed down. If there is no play then you need to make your track width wider. Hope this helps.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:23 AM
Tech Regular

so sorry for not replying earlier superserpent.

i have not actually not gone to my track yet. just set my car back up after taking t down to clean. was just pushing the car manually with my hands. making sure that nothing`s binding.

when i push my car straight, it moves smooth, rolling. when i turn my wheels right, it kinda has the effect like the brakes are on, but not as bad as when i turn left.

i loosened my brakes. nothing changed. the brakes isn`t interrupting the drive shaft. i checked my linkages. everything`s as per normal. my servo`s fine. checked the dogbones. my front dogbones were a little bent, i changed them. still didn`t help. took out my diff and gave the bearings a good blast, same as for the bearings for the tyres.

what are the other possible factors? i`ve checked my wiring and tubing, nothing`s touching anything moving.

pls help, thanks alot guys.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:27 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

so sorry for not replying earlier superserpent.

i have not actually not gone to my track yet. just set my car back up after taking t down to clean. was just pushing the car manually with my hands. making sure that nothing`s binding.

when i push my car straight, it moves smooth, rolling. when i turn my wheels right, it kinda has the effect like the brakes are on, but not as bad as when i turn left.

i loosened my brakes. nothing changed. the brakes isn`t interrupting the drive shaft. i checked my linkages. everything`s as per normal. my servo`s fine. checked the dogbones. my front dogbones were a little bent, i changed them. still didn`t help. took out my diff and gave the bearings a good blast, same as for the bearings for the tyres.

Also, do you think 1 of the front wheel is rubbing the front shock's lower spring cap...? That happened all the time on my HPI Pro 4.

what are the other possible factors? i`ve checked my wiring and tubing, nothing`s touching anything moving.

pls help, thanks alot guys.
Try this...remove both front dog bones, turn the wheel and roll your car....start trouble shooting 1 item at a time....I am guess there is something wrong with the dog bone...
If your car is turn fine without front dogbones, then they are the problem.
Keep updating then we can start popping solutin......
Old 08-30-2005, 03:09 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks, will do and update, btw, will different diff fluid cause this problem? cause i have not changed it for awhile.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.