Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Set-up Board Frustration

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 06:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Ok, so what about the point of measurement then?? If its always under the tire....then what about toe? I would trust you, but it seems you might not be too sure on the subject yourself.

Anyone else got any input on this? Im thinking im just going to make a set of blocks to run my car through. That should make it easy enough.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:30 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by cdelong
I couldn't agree more about the camber. I have given up on setting camber with the set-up station. I frequently am off by 1-2 degrees of camber when comparing the station settings vs. the plastic RPM camber gauge.

If I set the car to 3 degrees camber with the RPM gauge, the station reads like 4- 4.5 degrees.

I only use the set-up station for toe, and the RPM gauge for camber.
I also have the rpm camber gauge. With the integy setup I checked all my measurements with the rpm gauge afterwards....it matched exactly what the setup station said. Made me glad so I know both work pretty good...at least the camber gauge does with setup wheels. Otherwise on regular rims I dont think its good.

I think the integy is better than the rpm camber gauge. Its also faster.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:11 PM
Tech Regular

one thing I've noticed is that the setup station readings will vary depending on your setup if there is slop in the links or bearings. with some setups the setup blocks will pull the upper links out thus giving less camber readings, then with rubber tires this pushes the upper link in giving a higher camber reading. the slop can come from the links or wheel bearings. with foams and high camber settings specially the rear this tends to push the upper links out giving less camber. the setup wheels tends to give the same readings as the setup blocks. this can also happen in reverse so you have to recheck always.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Last edited by performula; 07-31-2022 at 04:43 AM.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:21 AM
Tech Champion

I have Hudy All in One Setup Tools. I don't use the board to measure track width because it's trouble some and even more complicated if using the tweak station. I use regular ruler, easy
Old 08-23-2005, 01:31 AM
Tech Rookie

I have shared some similar frustrations. My setups work best when I go through the entire car. Start with the chassis making sure it is flat. Then roll the pivot pins and balls on some plate glass to make sure they are straight. Once reassembled, check for binding in the suspension without shocks/swaybars. Use a combination of a caliper, setup board and a set of OEM tires/wheels for track width. Bought a cheap plastic dial caliper from home Depot for $10. The scale on it is probably off but I mainly use it without looking at the scale making sure both sides of the car are the same. I wouldn't even attempt to assemble a car without one and this is probably where you are having issues. Go get one, measure everything twice and be patient. It has taken me many setup attempts to learn how to get one that works well. There are some things I noticed about the old Hudy. It hangs up on the board decal side. Flip the board over to use it or find something that the bottom of the fixtures slide easily on. Work the suspension by tapping hard on the chassis before and after making a change. Keep doing this until both sides settle at the same point repeatedly.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:41 AM
M7H
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by asw7576
I have Hudy All in One Setup Tools. I don't use the board to measure track width because it's trouble some and even more complicated if using the tweak station. I use regular ruler, easy
Same here....

But, going from circuit to circuit I always take the set-up from last year, and make adjustment without measuring a thing. (I only listen to the car)
After the car works as I want it, then afterwards I measure the set-up I made.......
Old 08-23-2005, 12:15 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by fastharry
hey fraz....did you have the old style HUDY or the new ball bearing one..
I own the older plexiglass ones and have used the new aluminum/bearing ones too. I think the new ones are much better but they are not perfect. I usually set up my car with the Hudy to get it close and then use the good ol' plastic gauge to fine tune the camber. Seems to work very well so I have stuck with it for quite a while.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:57 AM
Tech Elite

Wow that hudy stuff is exspensive. I got mine integy for $107. Case , board with level , setup wheels and plexi toe gauge.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Last edited by performula; 07-31-2022 at 04:44 AM.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:30 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Artificial-I
Wow that hudy stuff is exspensive. I got mine integy for $107. Case , board with level , setup wheels and plexi toe gauge.
Yeah hudy is too expensive but 100% accurate than integy right?
Old 04-11-2006, 08:43 PM
Tech Elite

Well a big complaint on the hudy is its hard to read. Id say both are equally accurate...but ive never used the hudy. Some things hudy do blow away others...but integy did a good job in this area. Some of there other stuff Ive gotten lately has been questionable though.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:17 AM
jag
Tech Master

Originally Posted by performula
Anyone else have similar issues with their set-up tools?
I don't have any problems with my Hudy setup system... as long as I do it right. As you make adjustments you will have to go back and check settings you have already done. I don't just set my camber, toe, ride height, tweak, etc... one time and forget it. I go ver the car a few times, I roll the car back and forth, press down/pickup the car several times to settle the suspension. You cannot just slap the prisms on the axles, make a couple of adjustments and your done. Take your time and know when you twist that shock collar that you are affecting more than just the tweak.

Just my opinion.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:56 AM
Tech Elite

Glad im not the only one. I also like to recheck my camber once the wheels are back on with the rpm camber gauge. If it reads the same , everything is good. If its off usually its something like the tire itself off.

Thats why its good to not use camber gauges on used wheels. As they can be bent without you knowing.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:03 PM
Tech Champion

I am not sure about the latest 710/960 manuel setup booket, but on the typical Serpent setup booklet like 950R, 835, 705 even Impact and Impulse....they all use the good old plastic(or alum) clear "RULER" to measure the track width........read 200mm, if you are within 200mm then you are good to be LEGAL.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.