Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1/8th On Road Losing Popularity?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 11:30 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by wad
1/8 is too expensive, not the kit, but the engines are at least $500 if you want to be competitive, they don't last same time as the .12's, tires are 2-3 tomes more expensive than sedan tires, I know they last longer but how about getting a chunk? Fuel consuming is a lot, bodies cost 2-3 times more than the sedans.
I notice like 1 year ago buy a .12 engine was about $100-$150, now they are $300-$500, that means that the prices for the hobby keep going up. If this keep going the same way, I think that in 1 year all of us will be running VirtualRC at home
Not quite. You are correct that you need at least a $500 engine to be competitive. However, there are excellent alternatives. At my club RAMS we have a sportsman class for people new to the class and it is not all about motor. It gives people a comfortable place to get their feet wet with 1/8 scale and they get plenty of support from the expert guys.

The class is growing in Northern California and our club is seeing new faces all the time. In 1/8 expert we are having consistent d-mains and up to a c-main for sportsman. Compare that to a single a-main for sedan. That is around 60 1/8 scales in all for a club race!!

As for bodies, you are wrong. The last three 1/10 scale bodies I bought at the store were roughly $25ea. I have bought two different brand 1/8 bodies recently at $20 and $25. The only way your 3x figure would be correct would be WRT the Mugen body that was $60 and I don't even think you can get it anymore.

Tires are only $30 a set of 4 nowdays and that makes running the class more attractive. As a matter of fact, that last two sets of foams I bought for my 1/12 scale and 1/10 scale cars were $35 so 1/8!!

The one thing that dictates the success of 1/8 scale is tracks. If you don't have one that is suitable, don't buy an 1/8 scale unless you plan on travel a bit. The 1/8 scale class has some specific requirements for track size, smoothness and traction so there are limited places where you can run them. This class is regional and will only be strong where tracks are present.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:36 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Rookie Solara
P.S...1/8th MUST required a fully prepared track, and at least 160x280 size track..........
No way. RAMS has a pretty large track and at most it is 250x130. Revelation Raceway in SoCal is what I would consider the minimum for 1/8 scale and it is a very fun track at exactly 200x100.

Agreed, the surface must be prepped well and smooth.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:39 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by JLock
If someone would make a rubber capped tire for 1/8th scales for the folks that have no choice but to run on concrete, then the touring car class would be in trouble.
There are manufacturers in Europe who make rubber rain tires. You know how we use rubber sedan tires in compounds of 30, 36, etc? The 1/8 rain tires I saw were 10's. The rubber was sticky and your fingernail digs in easy. I have no idea what the wear is like but in the rain I guess the wear comes down.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:49 AM
Tech Master

$25? Are you buying shells at Hobbyworld!? $16.99 over at Sheldon's bro!

Reason I don't run 1/8th: Looks hella fun but I'd only be able to afford to do it like once a month max. Track I'd be racing at (RAMS) racers have told me you have to buy a new set of tires every race day which is like $40+ alone. And starting out I'd probably have to buy $60 of parts every time I stuffed it at high speed. I cannot afford it period, I wouldn't be able to eat or pay the phone bill if I raced 1/8th scale.

Spending that much cash I'd rather race go karts!
Old 08-17-2005, 11:54 AM
Tech Adept

Car: Serpent 710/Mugen MTX-3 - $350
Engine: $250-400. $250 can get you a nice Nova NSR which is a great engine.
Tires: $10 a pair, $20 a set.

Car: Serpent 960 $550-600
Engine: $400-550
Tires:
Old 08-17-2005, 12:07 PM
Tech Master

Misunderstood your post...ha! sorry
Old 08-17-2005, 12:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fsturbo15
Car: Serpent 710/Mugen MTX-3 - $350
Engine: $250-400. $250 can get you a nice Nova NSR which is a great engine.
Tires: $10 a pair, $20 a set.

Car: Serpent 960 $550-600
Engine: $400-550
Tires:
No one here saying that 1/8th is = or the same price tag as 1/10th.....but compare back to 10 years ago, 1/8th are a lot cheaper on any catagory...espeically bodies and tires...just like TC. But 1/8th tires last longer...

Yes, if you are in budget of RC, don't get 1/8th, a set of decend P/S can be $180-$250.........and if your track is not big enough, don't bother.

I have a used 950R ($250, 90% new with some Serpent options), Protofrom body $30, 8 set of used foams (95% new again) for $35 from ebay, 2 set (of 8)from Nitro shoes from Jaco $60 shipped...........the only new items, Nova Rossi Kangaroo with Nova Rossi pipe ($300....don't ask, it is a personal favor that he sell me at that price..)......starter box, radio, servos and others are existing...........so the whole 1/8th ready to race (going to MWS Chicago this weekend) are very affordable for me....

I ran the car 2 weekend and tried to get used to the power.......engine is not even fully broken in, and I am already scare about the top speed (due to the track is a little too small for more then 3 1/8th at a time).....and I didn't spend more then 30 minutes (all together) to wrench the car at all, I have no hudy setup tools.......I am only using EYE BALL technique to set the car, car is on rail.......

I spend more time wrenching TC per Sunday then the 1/8th combie......never like TC, but that is the only big class....
Old 08-17-2005, 12:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fraz
No way. RAMS has a pretty large track and at most it is 250x130. Revelation Raceway in SoCal is what I would consider the minimum for 1/8 scale and it is a very fun track at exactly 200x100.

Agreed, the surface must be prepped well and smooth.
That is just how I feel....our local track is 140x 250...still, with 4 1/8th, we are like "waiting" to get into those 180......then we have to wait and see whos coming in the corner first and let that guy go first or accident will happen, that is NOT FUN....

I am sure you have the skill to handle tight track..........at the end, this is my 4th time running 1/8th.......bigger track is better, at least, more margin of error for newbie like me....
Old 08-17-2005, 12:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

"Yeah 1/8 scaale seem too big and really ugly body's sure you can probly get a Sedan body but it won't look the same as it does on a 1/10's scale.

Plus can you drift 1/8 scale cars?"

If drifting and pretty street car bodies are what you're after, than stick to 10th scale, these are Purpose Built Race Cars, not bashing toys for looking at, they are for racing.

"Reason I don't run 1/8th: Looks hella fun but I'd only be able to afford to do it like once a month max. Track I'd be racing at (RAMS) racers have told me you have to buy a new set of tires every race day which is like $40+ alone. And starting out I'd probably have to buy $60 of parts every time I stuffed it at high speed. I cannot afford it period, I wouldn't be able to eat or pay the phone bill if I raced 1/8th scale.

Spending that much cash I'd rather race go karts!"

I don't use a set of tires every raceday, in fact, I've been using the same set of $35 twister tires(that's all 4 wheels) for a couple months, and that's 3 races, and alot of practice. Compared to my R40, the 8th scale has been no more expensive at all... As for repair parts, I was wise and bought an XR80 for my first 8th scale car. The parts are comparible to the R40's in price range. I rarely break anything, because I've been driving a couple years now, plus, these things are very strong.
Old 08-17-2005, 05:16 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by wad
1/8 is too expensive, not the kit, but the engines are at least $500 if you want to be competitive, they don't last same time as the .12's, tires are 2-3 tomes more expensive than sedan tires, I know they last longer but how about getting a chunk? Fuel consuming is a lot, bodies cost 2-3 times more than the sedans.
I notice like 1 year ago buy a .12 engine was about $100-$150, now they are $300-$500, that means that the prices for the hobby keep going up. If this keep going the same way, I think that in 1 year all of us will be running VirtualRC at home
The track record at the Toledo track was set with a sport motor, unless it was broken during the GLC last week.
Old 08-17-2005, 05:17 PM
Tech Regular

Blackat...

I use to race go-karts professionally. The cost of 1/8 for a season doesnt even come close to startup fees for karting.

In Karting you will spend more pre-season than a year of 1/8 in $$$ before you even touch the track.

and tires for karting...when I left the sport in the mis 90's it was aroun $400 for a set...and oh ya...you'd go through a few in a weekend.

not saying that 1/8 is inexpensive. That being said neither is 1/10. In my opinion at the end of the season 1/8 and 1/10 are within 15% cost of each other. Parts wear our much more quickly in 1/10.

John
Old 08-17-2005, 05:19 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by wad
Hey Jeffrey, look at what you started
Seeing all the enthusiasm perhaps the thread should be named 1/8th gaining popularity!!!
Old 08-17-2005, 07:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I have raced 1/12 carpet, 1/10 carpet, nitro foam rubber, buggy and truck off road. I watched the guys race 1/8 at the Heart of America earlier this year in Minneapolis, it was great!!!!!!!! We just finished the Heart of America last weekend, raced 1/10 nitro, but was able to run a 1/8 scale I picked up used a few weeks ago.

Cost $400 which included: Used MRX-3 great shape, OPS TQ .21 mod engine, full set tires, and about $400 dollars worth of spare parts. Best deal I have had when buying rc gear.

BS about $500 for .21 motor, only if you are a pro will this make a difference, for 99.9% of us this would be a waste of money. $200 would cover a good engine. Tire are only $35 a set for Twister-you can spend more but why. It costs $32 for a set of four Take-off rubber tires. Overall the class is more expensive but only by 20-30%.

The new RTR will help but I think that the low price will hurt the class. By the time the RTR is upgraded it cost the same as the other brands Mugen Serpent ect.......ends up costing the same but is not in the same class as the others.

Most of us already have the servos, radios ect.......

I can't wait to race my 1/8 or the first time. Touring elec and nitro will be my main racing cars, but the fun of running a 1/8 scale is a hell of a lot fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

http://f2.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/[email protected]

DSL 1/8th scale video
Old 08-17-2005, 07:28 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RC-HPI
Yeah 1/8 scaale seem too big and really ugly body's sure you can probly get a Sedan body but it won't look the same as it does on a 1/10's scale.

Plus can you drift 1/8 scale cars?

LOL... Can you drift 1/8 cars??? What kind of a question is that...lol.. That's my favorite part of 1/8!!!!
Old 08-17-2005, 07:31 PM
Tech Master

Oh, as far as the Toledo track record - It's either set by a JP or a Sirio in both sedan and 1/8th....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.