Search

1/8th On Road Losing Popularity?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 07:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Great Post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by wad
Here is a little confusion I think. Who is talking about divide the 1/8 class?
This new class is for drivers who likes 1/8 scale and want to be competitive, we all know that you can buy a cheap motor for 1/8 scale, the problem is that the chances that you have to win the A main are none. So if I race, I normally try to win, but if I need to buy a motor for $800 to be competitive and win the A main, I definetely will be out of it. In my opinion, buy a cheap motor to race and have no chances to win, is not fun. That's why I never raced 1/8 scale.
This new class is to get people like me, Francis & Jeffrey, joining the 1/8 scale racing, buying a motor for $300 and be plenty of chances to win the race, just depends on you, not the motor. If you have three motors already, don't think that you need to spend $300 more to buy a new one, because you already are into 1/8 scale racing, you may not interested in the new class. But in my case, I don't have any motor, I need to buy one, so I am happy that I only need to spend $300 and I will have no motor problems to win the race
I agree 100%!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-29-2005, 09:32 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Can we a get a list of off-road turbo motor for under $300 and where can we get it at that price? I have a Sirio PR pro and it is extremely fast for a stock motor for under $300 out the door. Unfortunately, I can't use it for the spec class. The other motor I am eyeing for is probably 0.S. Turbo 2 which sells for $260 at rc-toro. Again, unfortunately I don't think it meets the criteria for spec class.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trebronpay
Can we a get a list of off-road turbo motor for under $300 and where can we get it at that price? I have a Sirio PR pro and it is extremely fast for a stock motor for under $300 out the door. Unfortunately, I can't use it for the spec class. The other motor I am eyeing for is probably 0.S. Turbo 2 which sells for $260 at rc-toro. Again, unfortunately I don't think it meets the criteria for spec class.
the criteria was already posted as being limited to 5 port and the retail or street price has not yet been set.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Lightbulb

I really wish I had my RB S5 to try in my MRX4. It was such a great engine in my buggy with some nasty acceleration. I wonder what it would've been like in the 8th onroad.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitrodude
Where do you get them at that price?
My LHS in newyork here. Harrison, NY. They work for my track and so on.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:32 AM
Tech Adept

Francis and Walter,

Which 5 port do you think would be best for this class? For the price and quality?
Old 08-30-2005, 08:57 AM
wad
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by trebronpay
Francis and Walter,

Which 5 port do you think would be best for this class? For the price and quality?
I'm not sure, I never ran off-road motors, but I probably get something from Novarossi, RX21-P5 I think. But it will be Novarossi line for me.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:43 AM
Tech Elite

Personaly, I think $300 is too high, if the goal is to keep costs down. $300 is a lot to spend on a buggy engine. I have never spent that much and have NEVER been out motored (off-road).
Old 08-30-2005, 09:46 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by duneland
Personaly, I think $300 is too high, if the goal is to keep costs down. $300 is a lot to spend on a buggy engine. I have never spent that much and have NEVER been out motored (off-road).
I agree. I think $250 or even $200 is more like it. And yes I mean retail price. If there is a market someone will make it happen. I don't care if it's Nova or Sirio or STS or SH or OS, as long as it's low cost to get into and provide somewhat equal footing for all the racers I am all for it.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by duneland
We (the new 1/8th racer) will rely on you and the other to create this SPEC CLASS at your new track and Leisure to keep cost down.......you know WALT, JIMMY and I are willing to scale down our motor so we can run our 1/8th cars.........
Old 08-30-2005, 10:02 AM
Tech Elite

I just want to add something here. If there wasn't a $40 retail rule on stock motors I am sure some of these motors would've cost $60 now. People tend to think expensive = fast and many are will to pay more to get that little bit extra performance, real or perceived. Thus, you cannot just regulate on specification alone. Nor can you regulate on purchase price because with all the different options in RC purchase (eBay, overseas, second hand, internet, LHS, etc.) there is no way to verify the purchase price is under x dollars. You can have a list of spec engines regardless of price as legal but that will create an entry barrier for other engine manufacturers and discourage competition. Look at how healthy that 27T motor market is with different maker trying to out performe each other without selling for more than $40 and you will see why this could be a good idea for engines too.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:42 AM
Tech Adept

Default price controls

Price controls are a slippery area. We should be moving away from price controls rather than more of them in my opinion.

Is it our place to tell a manufacter a motor can not cost more that $300 when we do not know how much it costs to make, market, distribute that item. The market creates pricing. If you on a local level create this "spec" class for 1:8 and people are interested by buying existing motors that fit within these guidelines you have something to talk about and work with and the manufacturers will keep producing motors within that range.

You have picked motors to be the thing you are creating price limits on but this can go all the way down the line. Tires, radios, fuel, etc....

I honestly think cost control is not the answer. There are classes that cost very different levels within RC racing. We can not be the price police and think we have that power. It's on the consumer side prices go up because we keep buying it even when the prices go up.

Not every class is for every racer.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default RE

Again I say.....at least someone/some clubs are willing to try to do something about the cost(of engines anyway). Whether you agree with it or not....give it a chance. I myself am willing to give it a go. Yes some classes of racing are not for everybody, but when you see the class dwindle down to just a few racers....and it's the same ones all the time....something has/needs to be done or it will die. It looks like there is more in favor of this than against. If you don't like it, run your normal class and don't let it bother you.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Seems like we moved away from the basic "SPEC" concept...no where in the early pages did we say that retail price or any price would be the number one criteria for a "SPEC" engine.

Our basic rules were:
1.) non-modified cranks
2.) 5-ports (off-road)
3.) turbo plugs permitted

As an addendum to the proposal, we said lets also keep the engine below $300-$350 dollars...Then we said $300...I listed 6-engines which I found that retail between $229-$299 which satisfied the basic rules.

I think it will be hard to find an engine which meets these standards for less than $200...In doing so your limiting the types of engines racers can purchase.

There is no correct answer this...this is a work in process....It going to be difficult to enforce a price limitation.

Jeffreylin: the stock motor price limitation is Bullshit...the fact is this rule was written and never adjusted for inflation...Hobby shops and tracks need to earn a living...Last time I looked, those so called electric motor tuners charge a lot more than $40......

Its must never be ROAR's position to enforce guidelines based on price points.....I Agree 100% with Rick on this one.

Lets not try and cram down the class by putting unrealistic restrictions.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:59 PM
Tech Elite

Carl, I disagree. I know the price points can be met. It may not be the kind of engine you'll like to run but I don't see a real cost saving from $500 to $350 when all things considered.

I also posted why just having spec and purchase price won't do. Read my post again and you'll see.

Regardless, I don't want to get into an on-going arguement of what will work or not. I am just going to get a 1/8 and run whatever class there is and have FUN!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.