1/8th On Road Losing Popularity?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1/8th On Road Losing Popularity?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 02:13 PM
Tech Elite

1/8 exhaust systems are the same price for on or off road. Some brands are more expensive than others, but the on & off road from the same brand are the same price. Dynamite, OFNA, PRP, & RD logics make some nice systems for less than the Nova Rossi & Picco lines.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default An Idea

Here's an idea...

What about the manufacturers creating an entry level 200mm TC that can be converted to a 235mm? The 235mm could use the same chassis plate and many of the same parts. The re-emergence of a 235mm class would fill the gap for tracks that are not large enough for 1/8 scale.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:08 AM
Tech Rookie

I think the main issue with 1/8 in the US is having a track that is big enough. There is a new track in my area and interest is picking up quick.

A sportsman 1/8 class would be great. I have an outdated car I would like to race and love practicing with it. It seems like I can outrun and stay more consistent than the faster touring car's when they get on the track with me. I shy away from race day's however. Lack of advanced driving skills tells me I shouldn't race my car just yet. I wouldn't be bothered if somebody had a hot engine in sportsman class. Just having the opportunity to race with people that have similar skills would be great. However, I do understand the cost issue if this was implemented on a national level.

The cost of foam tires is high no matter what you are running. I would really like to see the price of these come down. And why do piston/sleeve sets cost so much? For the engine I run it seems to make more sense to toss it as opposed to a new rod/piston/sleeve.

In my case the 1/8 is more durable and fun compared to the TC I had. The handling is just jaw dropping. I spend my time doing maintenance and driving instead of replacing broken parts. Overall I spend less money on it just to run a few laps. Simply owning one has encouraged me to learn more about it and improve my driving. If I had to run something else I probably wouldn't be in the hobby.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:24 AM
Tech Adept

Glenn-bo
Here's an idea...

What about the manufacturers creating an entry level 200mm TC that can be converted to a 235mm? The 235mm could use the same chassis plate and many of the same parts. The re-emergence of a 235mm class would fill the gap for tracks that are not large enough for 1/8 scale.
I agree with your idea - I currently run 235mm in the UK and love the class.

It's just a pity that 235 has become a one make series.

Hey you manufacturers - What about a conversion kit for the 200mm cars to open up the choice of cars ?
Old 08-23-2005, 07:53 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

It would probably cost as much as a new kit.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NitroHead
BARCARC will introduce this class after our upcoming 'Super Regional' August 26th & 27th. I think it's a great idea and will go a long way towards broadening
our sport.
Chavo, have you decided on a set of guidelines a spec class?
Old 08-23-2005, 09:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I copied this from the Starting grid. Its a paragraph from the race coverage of the 2005 Royal Oak Grand National (quarter scale racing)

Quote:
Because of the size and weight of the cars, Quarter Scale racing is run differently from most types of r/c racing. When someone gets spun out, a “yellow flag” comes out, meaning everyone slows down, and gets in line behind the leader, with the car that caused the stoppage going to the rear of the pack. If a car requires the assistance of a marshal, it’s a “red flag” event, and all cars stop until the marshal leaves the track. This assures everyone’s safety. Another difference from typical r/c car racing is that the lengths of the races are measured in laps, not time. Rather than a 10 or 20-minute race, it’s a 20-lap or 50-lap event. Another interesting aspect lately, is that all cars run the same “spec fuel”. This, along with the tightly controlled engine specs, keeps all the cars pretty equal in power and speed. Winning a Quarter Scale event comes from setup and driving skill, not horsepower.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Together my 8th onroad package (MRX4, Nova Top engine, Pipe, Protoform Body) costed me about $860 thnx to a discount at my LHS shop. . I just had to go ahead with it. My R40 is running a Rody V12 3prt STd plug. It doesn't rev as high as the other versions since it has a restrictor in it. From what was said it will be illegal without it. Regardless it's still a fast motor and costed me $320 flat. My friend got a Rody Roar version for the price of the std 4 port V12, however it's quite finicky. When it runs it has a ton of power infact maybe too much for our track. I lapped him with my MT12 and my Rody. Anyway both my cars had little wear from running at my home track. These are the two cars I pretty much will run for now untill an offroad track is more accesible. I say sedan and 8th onroad for me.
Attached Thumbnails 1/8th On Road Losing Popularity?-dscn2659.jpg   1/8th On Road Losing Popularity?-dscn2660.jpg   1/8th On Road Losing Popularity?-dscn2666.jpg   1/8th On Road Losing Popularity?-dscn2663.jpg   1/8th On Road Losing Popularity?-dscn2676.jpg  

Old 08-23-2005, 10:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just bought a brand new 950R (still in box) off ebay for $380, is it a good deal?
Old 08-23-2005, 10:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think Jeffrey lin has the right idea about having i list of spec motors that has a limit on retail price and someone else brought up the idea of 20%-25% nitro content. Those two aspects alone would lower costs for people looking to get in to 1/8th. As for a hand out tire for nitro racing I wouldn't want that because not all cars handle the same with the same tire shore no matter how you try to adjust it. Maybe they can limit the ammount of tires a person is allowed to use for say a big spec race week something similar to how they do the ready race.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:33 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by HarKonnenD
Together my 8th onroad package (MRX4, Nova Top engine, Pipe, Protoform Body) costed me about $860 thnx to a discount at my LHS shop. . I just had to go ahead with it. My R40 is running a Rody V12 3prt STd plug. It doesn't rev as high as the other versions since it has a restrictor in it. From what was said it will be illegal without it. Regardless it's still a fast motor and costed me $320 flat. My friend got a Rody Roar version for the price of the std 4 port V12, however it's quite finicky. When it runs it has a ton of power infact maybe too much for our track. I lapped him with my MT12 and my Rody. Anyway both my cars had little wear from running at my home track. These are the two cars I pretty much will run for now untill an offroad track is more accesible. I say sedan and 8th onroad for me.
I sent you a pm.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fsturbo15
I sent you a pm.
YGM.

ogreasurada-Nice deal man. If I did that, I could've saved a bit more maybe. Otherwise I would've just had more $$ to spend on a faster .21 engine. LOL
Old 08-24-2005, 10:08 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I find it funny that the people clamoring for more spec items in the class are the ones with a lot of experience. I don't see very many beginners talking about it. The ones that are, already have a 1/8 car.

1/8 GP on-road is the pinnacle of R/C for most people. It's not meant for everyone, and never has been. Just as 1/12 scale will always be around, so will 1/8. Like any class, it will be popular in some areas of the country, and all but dead in the others. Neither one of those classes is something someone gets into as a start to the hobby...making more rules (spec this, spec that) only makes it more difficult to get into. Money doesn't always win, but in racing, it will always be an important factor. You can't afford 1/8th? Try 1/10 nitro. Can't race that? Maybe 1/10 electric.

Here's a metaphor: In SCCA, I race in a club racing class called Formula 500. It's a bottom-level open wheel class, very inexpensive compared to a lot of the other classes out there. Do the top people in the class clamor for the top-level Formula Atlantic class to be less expensive so maybe they can move up? No. They spend what they can to do the best they can at the level they are at. Do we have just as much fun as they do? Heck yeah, probably more. We get to throw cars around without ground effects!

If your local club is going to have a sportsman class, do so by driving ability rather than car limitation. Chances are even with a 3-port engine that person will have an overpowered car. It's up to the hobby shop (oh yeah, there are none anymore), err, "knowledgable" people on the Internet, to tell them that. On a local level, anyone can get away with spending a minimum amount and still be competitive enough to make the A, some of us have seen it happen when some kid gets out there with 69mm rear tires and does well enough to impress people (I wish people would talk more about how little they spent to win a race instead of how much, check out my bling-bling phat sick T-Maxx). National racing is another story, but that's the nationals...to see WHO and WHAT is the best. Engine, fuel, engineering skills to overcome what few rules there are, whatever it is.

What is different these days is that in the 80's there were effectively only 2 *major* classes in the U.S. as far as on-road racing went: 1/8 GP (I wonder how much controversy there was when pan cars were essentially obsoleted overnight. did 1/8 die? no!) and 1/12 electric stock and modified. Nowadays you have things like 3 different flavors of electric touring cars, 1/12 stock and mod, carpet and asphalt, 200mm 1/10 nitro cars, and the grand daddy of them all, 1/8. 1/10 pan cars and 235's came and went, and they were major classes for a short time before the more scale-appearing touring cars came around ("wow, a car that looks like a Honda instead of a shoehorn! And I can race it against my friends in a parking lot too!"). All competing for what seems to be the same amount of racers. Looking at Nationals results from the 1980's for 1/8, you can see there are the same amount of entries back then as there are now. I don't know what clubs are like, but something tells me 1/8 racing in Idaho is as popular as it is now.

Any form of racing is as expensive as you want to make it. That is true for any class. If you think your driving ability is as good as the $600 .21 engine you just bought off the Internet because somene said you needed to so you could be "competitive", more power to you. Oh well. You can't legislate common sense.

The one word that I'd like to see mentioned more is: "Fun"

Rant mode off.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Old 08-24-2005, 12:37 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Well spoken Cam.. I think you need to run Roar.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.