R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   How to get more front "bite" in my r40? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/80929-how-get-more-front-bite-my-r40.html)

BIG DADDY8 08-15-2005 09:39 AM

How to get more front "bite" in my r40?

How can i get more front "bite" in the sweeper and in the corners? Do i move the small clips on the top "a" arms? :weird: Help will be appreciated.

R40Victim 08-15-2005 10:01 AM

Yes, moving cilps from back to front will give you a little more steering, but you may want to try different tire compounds first.(so the contact patch won't change as much) Are you running on foam or rubber? There's a multitude of ways to adjust traction. I like to keep my suspension geometry the same, and use harder/softer tires to adjust handling...

Solara 08-15-2005 10:49 AM

(1) use softer foams - 35s and below..?
(2) play with your diff and grease
(3) lay down the shock more
(4) change the damper for more OPEN holes
(5) ligher shock oil
(6) softer spring
(7) play with the sway bar or no sway bar
(8) more toe-out?
(9) Caster can only change how to enter or exit the corner, cannot do BOTH.
(10) Do the complete opposite of the above 9 to your rear setting...

P.S...do 1 thing at a time...till the setting that you like. Also, ask R40 guys at the R40 thread, there are sevearl die hard R40 racers that raced national can answer your question there....afterall, R40 was the national championship car 2 year in a roll...

Slotmachine 08-15-2005 10:52 AM

If you are coming off the power just before entering the sweeper then try to add a little more up travel to the rear end. ( more droop) a lower # on you set up gauge.

JAG Racing 08-15-2005 11:00 AM

Big Daddy - Are you running the front one-way? If so, you need to go back to a diff in the front or better yet as spool. I assume you are running at the HobbyTown South track? Let me know your set-up too and I'll comment further.

I might be running down there in Austin this weekend too! 80% only.

Artificial-I 08-15-2005 11:55 AM

Can you give us your general setup?

I personally like tire changes , because its quick, its easy and its also very "exact"! You know when placing a new set of tires on the front that they dont have to be setup or checked if they match. Where camber adjustments need to be pretty much exact left to right, requiring a setup board or tool to get right....and most of the time its not going to be exact unless you have a setup board / system.

You can loosen the shocks in the front a bit. This will also soften and lower the car a tad and is easy to perform. Changing gear diffs and oils is too complicated and generally its best to have a few sets of those so you can just swap in another unit, rather than dissassembling cleaning and replacing the oil or grease.

Same goes with shocks oils and piston setups. Have a few sets so you can say hay I need more front bite...a quick swap out of shock sets and tada your there. Therefore all your home time is spent perfecting these so you can get to the track and perform quick changes....keeping you effecient. No one wants to take 1-2 hours of track time to swap the complicated stuff so stick with the easy stuff first.

Then move on to the hard stuff if it doesnt accomplish what you need.

Another easy one is the roll-bar , this is going to be one adjustment...make it softer if possible.

Take care.

BIG DADDY8 08-15-2005 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by JAG Racing
Big Daddy - Are you running the front one-way? If so, you need to go back to a diff in the front or better yet as spool. I assume you are running at the HobbyTown South track? Let me know your set-up too and I'll comment further.

I might be running down there in Austin this weekend too! 80% only.

Ya, I run at h-town south(really north). The car is set up with the factory settings. The tires are 37shore rears and 40 shore fronts(sometimes 38s). The motor is the picco xp .12(RB MODED). It insanely fast. The car seems to push comming into the sweeper. I'd like for it to have sharper steering in and out of the turns if possible. Just learning this car and love it. thanks for ALL the help guys :nod:

Artificial-I 08-15-2005 06:18 PM

I know this might sound odd...but if you want faster turn in and out of a sweeper. What is your current steering servo and radio. Also have you slowed the speed with the servo via radio. I normally have to with mine since my servos are normally ultra quick to tame the steering.

And yes I would try to set your weight farther forward....run the front slightly lower if its not already...is it scraping? I normally setup my r40 with harder in the front and softer in the rear. Odd your not finding enough turn.

Just lately I tried 40/40 twister tires. They ended up really feeling nice. What kind of tire are you running, that could also be a little bit of a problem. Tires can make a big difference and sometimes you need to just simply swap to another company. See what people are running at your track. I personally think certain tires react to certain tracks better. I ran the twister tire at my last race and the car is totally different now, so I almost have to re-learn it cause of this.

JAG Racing 08-15-2005 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by BIG DADDY8
Ya, I run at h-town south(really north). The car is set up with the factory settings. The tires are 37shore rears and 40 shore fronts(sometimes 38s). The motor is the picco xp .12(RB MODED). It insanely fast. The car seems to push comming into the sweeper. I'd like for it to have sharper steering in and out of the turns if possible. Just learning this car and love it. thanks for ALL the help guys :nod:

I would start with going to the silver front springs and black rear springs. VErify front sway bar is horizontal too. Next try 2 degree camber in the front with 1 degree toe out. Also, make sure you have uptravel in the rear suspension 4 - 5 mm will work good. You might not have any uptravel in the rear suspension. If these thigns don't work, you'll want to really dig into the suspension.... cause the R40 has tons of steering typically.

Any chance you front bumper ends are bent downwards and dragging the ground as you turn-in? Just a thought

luketob 08-16-2005 02:32 AM

your car is pushing because not enough weight transfer to the front, so maybe one of these could cure the problem;

1.Tires is the first thing you need to change, you can try running harder rear tires to compensate the rear traction.

2.You could also try lowering down your front shock.

3.Try more droop up front (lower # on droop gauge)

If these things could not solve your problem, maybe you shold do what JAG racing suggested, get into suspension detail (oil shock, springs, shock pistons, etc.).

nsxshogun 08-16-2005 02:52 AM

1way you still got that R40? I may have someone to get it from you....

luketob 08-16-2005 02:56 AM

1way you still got that R40? I may have someone to get it from you....
yep, it's still up for sale bro.. :nod:

BIG DADDY8 08-21-2005 06:16 PM

Thanks for all the advise, guys. It helped out great :nod: . I moved the clips (2mm) on the top-front from the rear of the arms to the front. Also, had the front 1mm lower than the rear and it worked out great. Got 1st in nitro stock and got bumped up to nitro mod and got 3rd :sneaky: . Once again thanks for ALL the help.