R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Closed Thread
Old 08-14-2005, 07:14 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice
Default how do on-roaders do it?

How do you guys just race, there arent any jumps or anything, doesnt that get boring. I know I could never do that.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:27 AM   #2
Tech Adept
Send a message via AIM to Fsturbo15

Im a completeNEWB
Old 08-14-2005, 07:33 AM   #3
Tech Apprentice

<-----Reason One too get an On road car 1. because I have one and I am Da SHizNiT

Reason 2. Drifting HAHAHAHA You can't drift and a Truck HAHAHAHA!!
Drifting is the ShiT

Reason 3. Because Racing is fun
Old 08-14-2005, 07:39 AM   #4
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

This seems like a flame post from a biased off-road newb. If you are in the hobby long enough to enjoy a few vehicles. Youll find out that hitting jumps and bashing in the backyard isnt all this hobby is about.

I drove on-road first, then took to off-road. Both are fun in there own ways. But most my money is spent on-road....because its more fun to me.

I also only run my cars on actual tracks. But at least I know. As well Its not like I need to make a post in off-road proclaiming my newbness and my biased views. It means nothing to all of us.

If you also took a second to look this forum is mainly composed of 1/10th scale on-roaders. So the question would more likely be, how can you not do it?
Old 08-14-2005, 08:06 AM   #5
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to impalabob64
Default dont knockit tell you try it

It,s alot harder then you think, with having to find the right car ,an the task of finding the perfect setup to work at the track that you running on at that time,which is the same for offroad.Onroad is pretty big here in fla.In onroad we spend crazy money in foam tires,we hve to hve the right shore tire that will give us the right grip,then the engine,pipe,body,also the right gearing,.We also hve worry about if the car is shifting to late or to early,an if we hve the centex clutch ajusted right,an all that just for the 200mm,when get into 1/8 scale onroad these guys drop anywhere from 1,000 to 3,000 dollars to maintain these speed demons,that reachs speeds up to 80 mph.These cars must be setup to the hilt.With tires costing about 25 to 40 bucks a pair, that you may get maybe 1 or 2 races out of.Hve you every been or see a big onroad race,not a parking lot race.A big track race where the back straight is about 200 to 250 ft. An to see how those cars cover that distance in seconds is a job we onroads racers hve work hard at to see how can get there faster.
Basher BT-4
Old 08-14-2005, 08:42 AM   #6
Tech Apprentice

I used to have a few electrics, but its no fun have a car when you live where there arent a lot of people, and just going in circles? anyways I live near the rocky mountains so there is that.
Old 08-14-2005, 09:05 AM   #7
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

How do off-roaders practice without marshalls?
Old 08-14-2005, 11:10 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Going in circles? You must be talking about oval racing!
On-roaders do it for the speed!! + you still have to turn both ways and negotiate corners of varying radii. Not to mention, less clean-up time.
I race 1/8 buggy too, but it feels so slow after running 1/8 on-road, I can't get as enthused for it anymore.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:25 AM   #9
Tech Regular

It`s just a clash of opinions.

Have got a friend who`s been in this hobby for over 20 yrs, been there, tried all, and it`s also off-road for him.

i`m pretty new to this hobby too. and from what i notice, buggies normally have more play time compared to on-roads due to the setups. I find that the best part of it actually. all the precision. just love it.

i`ll definitely try off road someday. But from the first look of it, i fell in love with on-roads immediately.

But, like what he said about the lack of crowd, which is a very important factor, can be boring too. Take a look at both kinda races and players then decide. U might just fall in love with on-roads too...

Last edited by dct147; 08-14-2005 at 11:39 AM.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:42 AM   #10
Tech Adept
Default on-off road

I'm currently running 1/8 scale buggies, but I have spent more than a far share of time on the asphault with my kyosho fw05r. I can tell you this on road racing taxes your concentration and motor skills a lot more than off road. I found that on road racing honed my skills and made me a far better in the dirt. On road racing is far less forgiving on you and the equipment.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:50 AM   #11
Tech Regular

I can tell you this on road racing taxes your concentration and motor skills a lot more than off road
Old 08-14-2005, 12:06 PM   #12
Tech Adept

Where in the Rockies are you at? If you are in Colorado Springs, Denver, or the front range area, there is an onroad track (though it is not permanent) in the area. Check out www.marcar.org to see where and when we race.

As others have said, speed and pure handling is what onroad racing is about.
Old 08-14-2005, 12:40 PM   #13
Tech Rookie
Send a message via AIM to ole69

I parking lot race,so the feeling of outrunning my opponent is cool
The concentration of holding a car steady at 70-80-and 90mph,is taxing
Not much is needed in trux,unless it's dirt track racing
The average guy is into bashing his truck, so there's no skill in that
Old 08-14-2005, 12:57 PM   #14
Tech Elite

On road is MUCH more realistic. The tracks are similiar to F1 and Cart tracks. We accelerate much faster, and corner much harder than off-roaders. All off-road has to offer is jumps, which plenty of 1/8th scales cars can do with a corner dot at the end of a straight. Even my 1/10th electric TC can catch mad air with the right sized corner dot.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:45 PM   #15
Tech Apprentice

But the height is awesome, Im sure some of you on road racers would love to go rip around in the dirt dont you? I mean, you try some of that stuff on road with a car youll get wicked wrecked, it cant be that much fun can it? I am Still looking at a first car and by the looks of it, on road is boring, sure speed is fun, but whats the fun in that when you cant get air once in a while without wrecking? And to whoever asked, Im in aurora colorado, but I camp the rockies.
Closed Thread