R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Closed Thread
Old 08-14-2005, 02:01 PM   #16
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

It still isnt clear what your intentions are. Are you talking about buying a car to go race or are you buying a car to just go run around (aka Bash) with? Offroad racing is fun having to deal with changing track conditions, timing jumps, throwing roost. Onroad is fun with the amount of concetration it takes, preciseness of both car setup and driving.

If your going to bash, no way would I buy an onroad car. Almost all decent onroad cars are built for racing, they dont do well unless they are on very smooth, clean asphalt.

For bashing, pickup a Revo or an 1/8th scale. They are tough and can be run almost anywhere.
Old 08-14-2005, 02:14 PM   #17
Tech Adept

MARCAR races next weekend. Come down and see what it is all about. You'll find that the level of onroad competition in Colorado Springs/Denver is the best in the area. The offroad tracks in Denver don't come close to the same level and aren't nearly as organized.

We have guys that do both, race onroads and bash/race offroad. At this time, given a choice, they would rather race with high level competition than jumping around a dirt lot. Personally, I find driving any r/c car in a vacant lot boring whether I'm jumping around or going around circles.

All I'm telling you is don't write onroad off as being boring. And driving on a track isn't easy by no means. Oh, btw...there are plenty of r/c tracks in Colorado Springs/Denver, just got to look for them.

I second what Jack Smash told you.
Old 08-14-2005, 02:56 PM   #18
Tech Regular
Send a message via ICQ to _cyclops_

Don't you ever get sick of the dirt?

Dude, every type of R/C sport has its ups and downs, most on-roarers don't like offroad because we don't see the 'hard' part in offroading then just hitting the gas and steer.....
Onroad is about seting up the car right and good stering, offroad is too i gues.. but at first look it's not...
Old 08-14-2005, 03:02 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by OffRoadUSA
How do you guys just race, there arent any jumps or anything, doesnt that get boring. I know I could never do that.
Yep, as Cyclops mentioned.
I hate dirt......
Old 08-14-2005, 03:24 PM   #20
Tech Champion
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Slotmachine
Cool What?

Originally Posted by impalabob64
It,s alot harder then you think, with having to find the right car ,an the task of finding the perfect setup to work at the track that you running on at that time,which is the same for offroad.Onroad is pretty big here in fla.In onroad we spend crazy money in foam tires,we hve to hve the right shore tire that will give us the right grip,then the engine,pipe,body,also the right gearing,.We also hve worry about if the car is shifting to late or to early,an if we hve the centex clutch ajusted right,an all that just for the 200mm,when get into 1/8 scale onroad these guys drop anywhere from 1,000 to 3,000 dollars to maintain these speed demons,that reachs speeds up to 80 mph.These cars must be setup to the hilt.With tires costing about 25 to 40 bucks a pair, that you may get maybe 1 or 2 races out of.Hve you every been or see a big onroad race,not a parking lot race.A big track race where the back straight is about 200 to 250 ft. An to see how those cars cover that distance in seconds is a job we onroads racers hve work hard at to see how can get there faster.

You just kinda answered your own question! These cars are a lot to set up! Tires caster camber pipe for the right track body`s make a difference, I think if your NOT lazy its harder to set up for on road!
Old 08-14-2005, 04:03 PM   #21
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Here's the thing about offroad, wait it's also the thing about onroad.. Well it's just about rc in general. If you don't have anybody to do it with it all gets boring after awhile. Driving in a parking lot by yourself or even with another car gets old. Driving around the beach or the mountains or an offroad track by yourself or a buddy gets old pretty quick.

Racing is my thing. I'm with the guy who said my stuff only runs on tracks, be it practice or racing. I'll tune in my driveway but thats about it. I loved offroad and thought onroad looked "boring." Then winter came and the only tracks were 2 1/2 hrs away for offroad. Whoops, I got an oval car and a 1/12 scale car. The racing is very intense and takes super concetration to go 50-70 laps. Offroad we average 7-14 laps in the shorter races. Both are fun and I do offroad nitro in summer and carpet elec in the winter. Onroad the cars seem to stay much closer together and your always racing whereas in offroad seems to get spread out more. Both are great fun though.
Old 08-14-2005, 04:07 PM   #22
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 207 (99%+)

OffRoadUSA - you want to be a better racer? Race electric sedans for a while. You will learn more about set-ups in one winter then you will in mant seasons running just off-road. I started off running off-road many years ago, when there were no more tracks to race at, I did on-road for several years after that. When I got back to off-road, it felt easier to drive.

Before you bash anything, TRY IT.
Old 08-14-2005, 05:02 PM   #23
Tech Initiate
Send a message via MSN to pedal2thametal

how do on-roaders do it?

wel i like to do it "doggystyle" haha

ok serious now.
i own a g4 mongoose car. thats a serious onroad car. goes very fast, faster then an offroad car.
dont u play forza or gt4 on a gamesconsole?
if ya do, maybe you also (like me) like to race a car, tweaking it. driving and pushing the car around lap by lap trying to set the best time. trying to take corners as fast as possible. doing it for hours, till the moment comes you cant go any faster then your record.
thats the same as with driving rc onroad on a race track. it doesnt get boring.
like in any sports your are trying to push the limit, to get better and better.

i also own a hpi savage (offroad car)
it is fun in an other way. i like the fact that i can drive it anywhere and like it to take jumps.

onroad and offroad is fun in its own way.

the fact that you come here saying it is boring and bla bla bla only shows you know little about onroad racing.
bet u didnt even tried it. maybe u tried "bashing" an onroad car. but that is only a smal part on what u can do if ya own a "pro" onroad car.
try competing with others, and i bet u wont get bored with it. maybe get bored with losing
Old 08-14-2005, 05:20 PM   #24
Tech Regular
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I do both, would race a red wagon if I had to!!!!!
Old 08-14-2005, 07:13 PM   #25
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I raced strictly offroad for 4 years. I poo-poohed the onroad thing as did most of my offroad peers. Then I was getting a little burnt on the offroad thing. I had issues with traction, track layouts, maintenence, etc... I decided I needed a break. I still had to get my Nitro "fix" so I went and tried onroad. The difference is night and day..imo. The competition is closer, the driving cleaner..my.02. And traction isn't as much of an issue. The speeds are off the hook. The first time I heard/felt a 2 speed shift was instant wood.
If you want to roost dirt, thats cool. But for all out speed, carving tight, controlled lines, and having close frieght train racing, onroad is the shizznit.
Nick Altieri
TeamNitro RC Club, New Home track- Ho Chunk Southland Expo, Lynwood IL
Serpent 748 Natrix TQ, PICCO EMX-WC or "R", Spektrum DX4RPro, Futaba servos
411,3.0 17.5 TC; 3.5 Mod Sedan HobbyWing
Please drive responsibly
Old 08-14-2005, 07:39 PM   #26
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

He should of went to the Great Lakes Challenge and watched paolo,Josh,And burch and the rest of the A main or even the B main and then he could answer his own ????????????
Old 08-14-2005, 08:37 PM   #27
Tech Apprentice

Well, more questions, since I saw a few on roaders today, and those things do fly. Can you ramp the cars? And what abouot ramping at top speeds into grass so you dont wreck it? Also where I live there can be a few rocks, or gravel rocks in the case, how bad can a few rocks or gravel hurt your car?
Old 08-14-2005, 08:38 PM   #28
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TeamCarnage
The first time I heard/felt a 2 speed shift was instant wood.
ummmmm, yeahhhhh. Please put one of these ( ) after a joke like that. It keeps us all sane.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:31 PM   #29
Tech Regular

OffRoadUSA, are u looking for directions and opinions?

or is this just a debate?
Old 08-15-2005, 01:36 AM   #30
Tech Initiate
Send a message via MSN to pedal2thametal

Originally Posted by OffRoadUSA
Well, more questions, since I saw a few on roaders today, and those things do fly. Can you ramp the cars? And what abouot ramping at top speeds into grass so you dont wreck it? Also where I live there can be a few rocks, or gravel rocks in the case, how bad can a few rocks or gravel hurt your car?
ya buy a mtx3 prospect car, put in a novarossi engine. drive it 60mph and ramp the car over a house. that would be fun dont ya think. and a week later buy another one.

ramp the cars? hmnphhh u do not even know the meaning of onroad driving.
u should just stick with offroad.
Closed Thread