Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
JR Z-1, M8, M11, or KO EX10 >

JR Z-1, M8, M11, or KO EX10

JR Z-1, M8, M11, or KO EX10

Old 08-10-2005, 10:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default JR Z-1, M8, M11, or KO EX10

I didn't know where to put this question, but since I frequent here a lot, I thought I'd ask you guys...

Anyhow, I'm ready to upgrade my radio. I currently have a JR XS3, but I'm looking for a high end radio.

My choices are the M8, M11, JR Z-1, or KO Propo EX10. All choices will need a spektrum.

From the looks of it, the EX10 and the Z-1 are the same radio, except that the EX10 can be found for a lot less in price than the Z-1. Am I wrong in thinking they are the same radio?

What about the M11? Price wise, cheapest I found is around 290 shipped. Does it matter which M11 model I get (ex. 27mhz or 75mhz) since I will be upgrading to Spektrum anyhow?

The M8 with spektrum, can he had for less than 300, which intrigues me because at least I'll have spektrum and the M8 is a great radio from what I've heard.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:54 AM
Tech Regular

Z1 is same a KO EX10, but the Z1 is synthesised... no crystals, still runs on 75mhz and isnt as handy as Spektrum coz you will still need your transmitter impounded in races.

i like the M11, and $290 is pretty cheap... since the m8 was about $250 a few months ago...

Does it matter which M11 model I get (ex. 27mhz or 75mhz) since I will be upgrading to Spektrum anyhow?
no it doesnt matter, spektrum replaces it. and makes it 2.4ghz
Old 08-11-2005, 01:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

I say go with the spectrum and the M8. Checked your gallery...... NICE
Old 08-11-2005, 04:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

FYI:

At roar races, spektrum equipped radios are still impounded.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:12 AM
Tech Addict

Noobie

Thanks for the advice. I'm curious...will the EX10 run with my JR RS300 synthesized receivers?

NSX - Did you see the Stratus 3.1 body? Its the blue/white body on my NTC3. The Red/white body is a nemesis body.

Scott - Why does spektrum get impounded at races?

--------------

I like the feel of my JR XS3 radio, and I feel the EX10 will be a natural upgrade. It'd be nice to have the ability to switch from spektrum, to the regular setup of running synthesized radio/receivers, by means of a simple switch. Is it easy to install and remove the spektrum? I really hate to waste all that money on my synthesized receivers.

I may just upgrade to the M11. The M8 has been out for around 4-5 years correct? Looks like the M11 is a worthy upgrade. Only thing I didn't like about the M8/M11 series, is the bulkiness (if that's really a word) of the unit. I like how the JR/KO Propo radio's are sleek.

Decisions, decisions....
Old 08-11-2005, 07:42 AM
Tech Elite

ok.high end radios.here we go again.let's face it,no radios that u mentioned will prevent u from winning .i personally have the ex-10 helios and it's a fantastic radio.worth every cents in my opinion.before i bought it,it was between three radios,the 3pk,m8(the m11 wasn't even mentioned yet in the forums) or helios.once i got my dad's permission,went to the hobby shop,held some of my buddies radio's.and the helios felt just right for my hands.the m8 was a little top-heavy,the 3pk also a bit heavy,the helios just has the right balance.so just pick up the radios u mentioned and hold it in ur hand.see which is the most comfortable.feature wise,basically they all have more features than u will ever need.the basic features u will use is endpoints,sub-trims,etc.things like abs and exponential is for anyone who like experimenting with their equipments.and as far as intuitive controls,the m8 and helios is the best in my opinion.and the helios has the jog dial which makes scrolling through menu very very easy.i don't know about the 3pk.but u can basically use the features in m8 and helios without reading the manual.the m11 should be intuitive as the m8,but i read that it is a bit more complicated,but still intuitive and easy to use.now,looks wise.the 3pk,m8 and m11 looks high-tech and modern.the helios seems weird looking at first.but after a couple of days,the look grows on u like the BMW 7-series or 5-series which doesn't look good at first.it looks fantastic with the wheel angle extension(i am talking about the helios ).cool factor and BLING-BLING wise,no one wins really.the 3pk has 7(i think) colour LEDs and has backlight.the m8 has backlight(not the earlier versions).the m11 has TWO! backlight colours(blue and white).and the helios wins this in my opinion.it has backlight and customizable tones u can find on ko's website.Ergonomics wise,i think ko wins this as well,but this is because it fits well in my hands.other hands differ.and it has a wheel angle extension option which u can adjust the steering wheel angle for ur liking.Now the ever-debatable response time .the 3pk has high speed response(HSR),m8 normal response time,m11 has Extra High speed response(EHSR),helios has Advanced High Speed Response (AHSR) ,though i doubt most of us can feel the difference .and one of the reasons i bought the helios is because the super small receiver.it is damn small.and the wiring looks neater now with the receiver of helios.and lastly,the spektrum.it is great technology,no doubt.and u won't ever have to worry about crystals,that is just heaven.it had some issues at first,but i think it is all fixed now.conclusion is,whatever radio u picked,u will not be dissapointed.and as i said,u won't lose with any of them.just hold them in ur hands and see which is the most comfortable.sorry for the long post.this is by miles the longest post ever from me .hope this helps.enjoy ur new radio
Old 08-11-2005, 08:25 AM
Regional Moderator

Go with KO Helios. I'm a little bit dissapointed when I see a sign/sentence behind the M11. The sign said "Made in China"
Old 08-11-2005, 08:33 AM
Tech Addict

NTC3freak

Thanks for the response. I know the radio won't lose my race, but I feel I've outgrown the features of my XS3. I felt the M8 was a great radio, but you're right, it feels a little weird, but then again, its probably because we're so used to JR/KO radios. They are definitely a lot lighter in weight.

Again, I felt the EX10 or Z1 would be natural upgrades for me, but one of the big reasons I was looking into the M11...there has to be a reason why all these guys at my local track (Sun Valley, CA) and pros, use this radio. I see some good pros using the EX10 as well.

Anyhow, I might be getting the EX10 soon. Hopefully it's as good as an M11
Old 08-11-2005, 08:56 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by snowboardgeek1
NTC3freak

Thanks for the response. I know the radio won't lose my race, but I feel I've outgrown the features of my XS3. I felt the M8 was a great radio, but you're right, it feels a little weird, but then again, its probably because we're so used to JR/KO radios. They are definitely a lot lighter in weight.

Again, I felt the EX10 or Z1 would be natural upgrades for me, but one of the big reasons I was looking into the M11...there has to be a reason why all these guys at my local track (Sun Valley, CA) and pros, use this radio. I see some good pros using the EX10 as well.

Anyhow, I might be getting the EX10 soon. Hopefully it's as good as an M11

pros use m11 because airtronics supplies them with it.maybe in Usa there are a lot of m8 and m11 users,but here in Malaysia,most of us are using ex10.of coz the helios is as good as m11,might even be better .either way,u wont be dissapointed
Old 08-11-2005, 09:02 AM
Tech Addict

Sounds good. I have a deal pending right now, for the EX10 with spektrum, so hopefully it'll fall through. I like the look of the radio. The M11 looks exactly like an M8 to me. I've never liked the looks of the M8 but looks aren't important to me...its the features that I'm looking for.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:05 AM
Tech Elite

Sounds good. I have a deal pending right now, for the EX10 with spektrum, so hopefully it'll fall through. I like the look of the radio. The M11 looks exactly like an M8 to me. I've never liked the looks of the M8 but looks aren't important to me...its the features that I'm looking for.

nice.im sure u will be happy with the radio.im jealous u will have spektrum too
Old 08-11-2005, 09:09 AM
Tech Addict

Yeah that was one of the things I really needed if I were to buy a new radio. It needs to have spektrum. Its just so convenient, and since I go to the track often, its nice just knowing that I wont have anyone using my frequency. Even with having a radio thats already synthesized, I just feel its better to have spektrum.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:13 AM
Tech Elite

Yeah that was one of the things I really needed if I were to buy a new radio. It needs to have spektrum. Its just so convenient, and since I go to the track often, its nice just knowing that I wont have anyone using my frequency. Even with having a radio thats already synthesized, I just feel its better to have spektrum.

yup.i go to the track every week.and not needing to check the frequency board is nice.gotta save up for spektrum .rc at 14 is hard
Old 08-11-2005, 09:28 AM
Tech Addict

Since there are a lot of people that show up at my track, its good to have spektrum. I'll know by tonight if I get the ex10.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:53 AM
Tech Elite

Since there are a lot of people that show up at my track, its good to have spektrum. I'll know by tonight if I get the ex10.

good luck man

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.