R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 11-11-2014, 06:51 AM   #76
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

RE: Rules, you realize it does not really matter, at the end of the day it's on the driver to comply, meaning if he finishes a heat, and fails the post race tech, he has himself to blame and no one else, any risk etc on whatever, is at the drivers risk, any pre speculation is mute, it will fail if and when it fails.
www.myrcm.ch/main?pLa=en&hId[1]=org&dId[O]=4331
Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:16 AM   #77
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto View Post
I aim to please, Scotty.

Admire the bare wing mounts where the manufacturer suggests you mount the wing as per the regulations. And the 2-3cm tail overhang. Even the central wing is borderline as 10mm is a maximum with no futher tolerance.

Don't worry, I'm pretty much done. I've lead a horse to water and debating a technical document that can't even decide whether a 3 speed transmission is legal is moot. (See 5.2 and 5.27).

PS I think there is a distinct possibility he is using a flexible wing or force variable mount that would bend at high speed and return to higher downforce at low speed, a la F1 a few years ago. That feature would be legal.
Oi...

WE DONT NEED DOWNFORCE, WE HAVE TOO MUCH MECHANICAL GRIP!!
That's why we are all running a slipperyt P37 shell! The air is so thick and humid, rear wings are insignificant, actually, it's just more weight up high!

Quote:
Sorry, I think the rule book is covered in sweat and our glasses have fogged up and smudged with the beautiful fog from racing, so they ae too hard to read.
The driving is spectacular, the ambience is electric, the mood is wonderful, the local people are inviting and you should be here enjoying it all rather than sitting at home picking at rules and making pointless arguments.
blis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:41 AM   #78
Tech Apprentice

Hi Blis,

Thanks for the report!

What's the deal about 5 ou 10 min qualifying?? They decided just one day before the start!!
Old 11-11-2014, 08:47 AM   #79
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by romain_f View Post
Hi Blis,

Thanks for the report!

What's the deal about 5 ou 10 min qualifying?? They decided just one day before the start!!
We have more than 100 drivers. So the rules state they can choose 5 minute rounds. But it's an indoor track with lights, so making the schedule is not a problem. There is an issue with the heat, this evening coming up the lift wih Dario, he was exhausted, the heat is taking it's toll and we all need sleep, specially those that had a big time shift travelling to Asia

The committee went back and forth with announcements, 10 minute, then 5 minute, I'll leave that to them, it's not for me to argue, I just go by the rules. Personally I would like 10 minutes, as a father and pitman, it's my highlight to refuel.

To make matters worse, it's said we are having 5 minute warmup, which I really don't like and with control tyre, one flip and chunk (we dont have a 2nd set or a spare tyre for quals) and it's the end of qualifier or keep damaging your car as you flip with a chunked tyre, it's going to be difficult but its the same for all.

As my son's pitman, it's going to be a strategic positioning on track, with little tyre wear it's a matter of scrubbing in tyres but not taking risks and the track is very fast so it's up to the drivers to make fair racing.

The driving etiquette has been really really good in our lower heats, so I trust that with all drivers in the same condition we work together to make track space and not do silly things to ruin the points based quals.

We'll, but we are having a great time, I think most teams are!

h
Old 11-11-2014, 08:55 AM   #80
Tech Apprentice

Oh first time an IC ifmar runs with points for qualifying!!
Old 11-11-2014, 10:12 AM   #81
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Yes, I saw the team picture from USA....only Whiting and Wang. What happened to Ralph, Paolo, DJ......etc?

Also....no Hara no Jillies no Fukuda? Money must be tight these days....
SPEED PASSION - King Golden, Speed Passion USA, Speed Power, Hirosaka Pro Products, East Coast Bodies, Awesomatix USA, Roche USA, Schumacher Racing, Hurricane Motorsports, Serpent America, Sweep Racing USA. http://www.spautomobile.com/en/index.asp (SPEED PASSION AUTOMOTIVE)
NEW Speed Power/Speed Passion direct sale site - http://shop.speedpowerrc.com/
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 10:22 AM   #82
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solara View Post
Yes, I saw the team picture from USA....only Whiting and Wang. What happened to Ralph, Paolo, DJ......etc?

Also....no Hara no Jillies no Fukuda? Money must be tight these days....
Jilles is there

Hara popped in to say hi.
Old 11-11-2014, 04:17 PM   #83
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm quite surprised by the (seemingly) lack of preparation by the manufacturers.
They knew in advance they would be running at a track with a stupid amount of traction and special needs.
You would think they made more special parts to lower the CoG as much as possible and reduce traction rolling.
The Orcan cooling head has been around since 2010 for example, but only Hagberg is running one.
I like the brass part Serpent made, I was expecting more of those kind of parts.

For the rest I still think it was a bad decision to host the WC at an indoor track with conditions almost no one enjoys.
Luckily the 2016 WC will be at one of the best tracks ever, Gubbio Italy.
Old 11-11-2014, 04:37 PM   #84
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto View Post
I aim to please, Scotty.

Admire the bare wing mounts where the manufacturer suggests you mount the wing as per the regulations. And the 2-3cm tail overhang. Even the central wing is borderline as 10mm is a maximum with no futher tolerance.

Don't worry, I'm pretty much done. I've lead a horse to water and debating a technical document that can't even decide whether a 3 speed transmission is legal is moot. (See 5.2 and 5.27).

PS I think there is a distinct possibility he is using a flexible wing or force variable mount that would bend at high speed and return to higher downforce at low speed, a la F1 a few years ago. That feature would be legal.

It doesn't look like the wing is mounted to the usual body struts.
Chicky fan club member #9
One Eighth Racers of Toledo
lil-bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 04:43 PM   #85
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

Hey DS are you talking about the sliding brass weight or something new. By the weigh how much does the Mugen sliding weight weigh?

Pass you soon...
Chicky fan club member #9
One Eighth Racers of Toledo
lil-bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:58 PM   #86
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS Motorsport View Post
I'm quite surprised by the (seemingly) lack of preparation by the manufacturers.
They knew in advance they would be running at a track with a stupid amount of traction and special needs.
You would think they made more special parts to lower the CoG as much as possible and reduce traction rolling.
The Orcan cooling head has been around since 2010 for example, but only Hagberg is running one.
I like the brass part Serpent made, I was expecting more of those kind of parts.

For the rest I still think it was a bad decision to host the WC at an indoor track with conditions almost no one enjoys.
To be fair, Hagberg said the pre-event was high grip, but nothing like what it is now, so most have been left scrambling to make custom mods to make the cars work, although yeah I'm not sure anyone brought anything that was dedicated to making the cars work on massive grip.
Old 11-12-2014, 04:45 AM   #87
Tech Addict

The grip is crazy but everyone is working around it. It fun to drive on when you have the car setup well but hard when the car is not. Everyone is in the same boat.

The Serpent Brass part is on the front of the car. Nice and heavy helped a lot with Traction roll.
www.hootrc.com.au
Aza088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 05:25 AM   #88
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS Motorsport View Post

DS, you are often more correct than wrong, but I have to disagree with the location. Huge RC is an awesome place to race, you should have come here, it was a perfect place for you to engineer your car to adapt to the conditions.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:30 AM   #89
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
To be fair, Hagberg said the pre-event was high grip, but nothing like what it is now, so most have been left scrambling to make custom mods to make the cars work, although yeah I'm not sure anyone brought anything that was dedicated to making the cars work on massive grip.
Kerry, I laminated two brass engine mounts together and the car settled down, it was protruding and hit bumps...

BUT ALAS... there are 4 pro shops in the facility so I went and bought some XRay weights

The grip now is gone, what you are seeing on LiveRC is nothng like day 1 and 2, that was crazy.

That said, Luke said "Dad, why do they have to make it so sticky?!" My response was... " when we get back home and you realise how low the traction is, you'll wish you were in Thailand!"
Old 11-12-2014, 06:10 AM   #90
Tech Elite

Ah give it just a little longer, and EPR will be gripped up and new to be among the best in the world tracks to run again.

Tags
1/10, 200mm, huge, ifmar, serpent