Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Help with strange behavior on Picco P-0 .08 engine. >

Help with strange behavior on Picco P-0 .08 engine.

Help with strange behavior on Picco P-0 .08 engine.

Old 12-02-2014, 02:06 PM
Tech Master

The only time you have 100% TH Servo Speed when you're running ESC. As for braking, cant remember. Have to out when I'm at the homestead, in a couple days.

Slowing the servo does help from abrupt accel. Setting the travel(EPA), where the Slide clears the Venturi. you'll will see that its more responsive and small trigger pull. It wont take a half sec.
Old 12-06-2014, 03:03 PM
Tech Master

TH Speed works for accel. Braking doesn't change on forward trigger
Old 12-08-2014, 12:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I ported the cylinder sleeve and rounded the edges on the conrod. Between that, replacing the crankcase that had a casting defect in it, lightening the clutch shoes to raise the engagement RPM, and retuning the carb to be a little richer now that I don't have to fight the clutch engaging too soon, the engine runs like a dream.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:36 AM
Tech Master

Kewl!! Yeah!! Teflon/Composite are oK. I like it more aggressive using Aluminum shoes, like Xray NT/MT.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:44 PM
Tech Champion

No aluminum shoes available for the larger clutch bell I'm using. I'd have to switch to the smaller clutch bell and flywheel used by the NT18 vehicles if I wanted to use aluminum shoes.

Newest running video:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:21 PM
Tech Master

How many teeth the pinion you running?
Old 12-08-2014, 09:23 PM
Tech Champion

15 teeth on the pinion. 30 teeth on the spur. Both the pinion and spur are hardened-steel, which was a huge pain to get my hands on for this vehicle. I don't remember the gear ratios inside the center gearbox and the diff cases. Why do you ask?
Old 12-09-2014, 07:58 AM
Tech Master

Top speed. Larger the pinion, more top speed. Running 2-1 now. Larger pinion and larger spur, more speed. You said you have a 2sd tranny, if you're happy with performance it work now. Off-road racing I think it outlawed, for bashing do what ever you want. You can see and hear rpm peaks out in a short distance, like within 30-45'.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:36 AM
Tech Champion

I'm only running the single-speed transmission. I tried the two-speed transmission and concluded that 1) it was too difficult to tune the shift-point because the parts are cheap, and 2) it was too fast to control within the confined spaces available to me to drive in.

Let me show you what happened when I tested the 2-speed transmission:

http://www.tubechop.com/watch/4323139

If I ever want a proper nitro racing sedan I'll just buy one. This thing is too small to handle really high speeds.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:45 PM
Tech Master

What I saw it shifted to early, Wasn't to clear why you lost control. It was going fine!!

I looked for optional parts for the modal, its not to large.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:55 PM
Tech Champion

Like I said, it was extremely difficult to tune the shift-point because the parts are cheap. I never got it to shift at a high-enough RPM, and the shifter design puts a lot of shock on the driveline when the shift occurs. A proper racing sedan would have a better-designed shift clutch.

I lost control for two reasons: one, I was attempting to film it at the same time I was driving it, and two, it was going so fast that when I hit the brakes it couldn't stop in time.

I drive this vehicle around parking lots. Where I live, parking lots have concrete dividers all over the place, so it isn't very often that I can drive it in a straight line for long enough to redline the engine for more than a couple seconds. The two-speed transmission is just more parts to maintain, and doesn't make it more fun to drive the vehicle.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:27 PM
Tech Master

3rd brakes got wet. 2sd tranny designed like the RS4, which I cant stand, a pawl to grab onto.
Old 12-09-2014, 04:14 PM
Tech Champion

Yeah, a clutch-style shifter would be better. Actually the brakes stay pretty dry on this vehicle, because they're hidden behind the gearbox and the open-wheel design minimizes spray into the chassis. I was just driving it around today while the roads were sopping-wet, and I could skid the wheels with a single brake disc the size of a Quarter.