R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Newbie help (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/799803-newbie-help.html)

paris123 03-13-2014 04:46 AM

Newbie help

Hi guys sorry if this is not the right place to post this, I am currently thinking of getting a new RC on road car after some years of owning an HPI rs4 since it was destroyed on a house fire... At them moment i am in a dilemma as i seem to have missed a lot in evolution of RC cars. I am between a electric Tamiya TT-01E and a nitro HSP 94102 Sonic. My criteria mostly are : user/driver friendly.. meaning low maintenance and a bit easy to drive, good speed, bigger choice of modifications. They are both on almost the same price +- 10 £ and i know of course that a nitro one has bigger functional costs but thats not really an issue... I am also curious how an electric rc has the same price with a nitro one...
Any other advices/references on models will be highly appreciated. Thank you for your time..
Kind regards.

chaos2984 03-13-2014 06:53 AM

I have an RS4 3 and thats fun to beat around in. It doesnt have the optional 2 speed and it has the cheapy HPI .15 in it and its fast and stable. The TT-01 is kinda like a putz around car not much fun and certinly not raceable without upgrades. Electrics are fun and easy to change the speed with one motor. you can change the timing gearing and power. But itinal cost of the electric setup is about as much as a performace nitro motor. Both have thier advantages and disavantages. nitro is fun because you can go anywhere and just add fuel and run. When the battery dies in an electric you have to charge it to have more fun.

paris123 03-13-2014 07:28 AM

Thanks for the reply.. if i posted you some models i am looking at would you give me an opinion? or make any other suggestions i am happy to hear..

I dont wanna get something that is purely racing or purely drifting.. I would prefer something in between with some modifications.
Thank you again

chaos2984 03-13-2014 12:02 PM

yea no problem. Ill help you the best that i can. I don't know it all. I know a lot about what i have or had. I don't know what you like but if your trying to have fun and looking for a local hobby shop to carry parts, I would look at the traxxas nitro 4tec. Its a decent car I had one originally but the original trx .15 was junk along with the easy start. Im sure they have come along way since then but I'm not sure. I know almost every hobby shop has traxxas parts because that is what sells. Traxxas stuff sells like hot cakes because its RTR.

I prefer HPI personally. I think their motors are a little better. I have 2 that .15 cheapy and an older performance .15ss they made and that .15ss is awesome. I use the roto start on the .15 cheapy and pull start on the .15ss. Tower hobbies carries hpi parts if your local hobby store doesn't and they offer parts at a discounted price and offer discounts when you reach certain levels. But not all hobby stores carry hpi parts.

I had a NTC3 that i raced a little and it was terrible. Brakes sucked and the car would always break. i currently have a MTX4R that i got and will be racing this year and its a totally better car than the NTC3.