Is there a way to fix chunked tires ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is there a way to fix chunked tires ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 02:54 PM
Tech Adept

Default Is there a way to fix chunked tires ?

I had a tire that was slightly chunked (hit another car ), so i cut a piece of rubber off of another dead foam tire and glued it to the other rim, then put it on the truer.

It looks ok but i'm not sure how long this will hold. Is there another method that will get good results. The tire was brand new.
Old 07-30-2005, 05:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

depending on the glue that you used, the propblem is that a thick clue will cause the tire to not grip as well and cause the car to be loose if it is on the back and push if it is on the front. I have found a couple glues that will work without having this issue, but it takes 2 days to dry completely and if you are going to race on them, you will need to let them dry for at least a week. The glue you need is: TRC #902 tire glue

Last edited by rcfoolz; 12-14-2005 at 02:46 PM.
Old 07-30-2005, 06:43 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have fixed foam tires before with CA and i was using medium CA

Also i have seen some ppl put CA on the sidewall, my guess is that this prevents chunking, if this is the case what thickness CA and what are the adverse effects of this.
Old 07-31-2005, 02:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

CA attacks the foam, causing it to harden. you can us CA but with the hardend spot on the tire will make you loose traction and also make the tire out of balance. The CA on the sidewall does help with the tire with chunking, but the reason most racers use it is to take side bite away from the tire as to not cause a traction roll