Wiki Posts
Search

Tuned pipe deformed, what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 11:55 AM
Tech Adept

Tuned pipe deformed, what to do?

Hi guys,
After my rx batteries went dead on the track this weekend, my car hit the wall at high speed. Fortunately not much happened. Couple of parts on the back need to be changed, that looks like it.
What makes me think is, as you can see on the picture, my tuned pipe got a bit of deformation.
- Is there any way to fix this or should I leave it as it is?
- If I leave it as it is, would it cause performance loss?
- Some guys said, take off the tuned pipe, fill it up with water, cover both ends with nylon or whatever, so that the water doesn't run out, and put it in the deepfreezer. Let the water freeze. When it freezes, it will put the tuned pipe in the former shape. Is this a recommended method?
Thanks for all your help in advance.

Alp
Old 07-20-2005, 11:58 AM
Tech Adept

Arrow The picture

This is the deformed tuned pipe.
Attached Thumbnails Tuned pipe deformed, what to do?-dsc00456.jpg  
Old 07-20-2005, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aaalp
Hi guys,
After my rx batteries went dead on the track this weekend, my car hit the wall at high speed. Fortunately not much happened. Couple of parts on the back need to be changed, that looks like it.
What makes me think is, as you can see on the picture, my tuned pipe got a bit of deformation.
- Is there any way to fix this or should I leave it as it is?
- If I leave it as it is, would it cause performance loss?
- Some guys said, take off the tuned pipe, fill it up with water, cover both ends with nylon or whatever, so that the water doesn't run out, and put it in the deepfreezer. Let the water freeze. When it freezes, it will put the tuned pipe in the former shape. Is this a recommended method?
Thanks for all your help in advance.

Alp

take the pipe off and fill it up with water and put it on the freezer over night thewater will freeze and expand and push the dent out. I have done this many times and it works
Old 07-20-2005, 12:01 PM
Tech Regular

put water inside is and freeze it overnight. Plug the stinger up.....see how it looks in the morning.

John
Old 07-20-2005, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jrabbito
put water inside is and freeze it overnight. Plug the stinger up.....see how it looks in the morning.

John
a little slow
Old 07-20-2005, 12:29 PM
Tech Adept

Smile

I've just filled it up with water and put it in the freezer. Let's see what it looks like in the morning. I hope my wife doesn't see the tuned pipe in the freezer or I might not have a tuned pipe no more as she is already going mad about this RC Mania that I am into :-) I just can't help it, this hobby is really addictive!!!
Thanks for the info guys.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:31 PM
Tech Regular

what do you use to plug up the holes? Everything I use pushes out from the ends and doesn't straighten out the pipe
Old 07-20-2005, 12:43 PM
Tech Master

You shouldn't need anything special. Just make sure that your pipe is standing up on end. You really only need to plug the stinger and pressure nipple that way. The holes will freeze first since they are on the outside, sealing the pipe up.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by gonzoY5
what do you use to plug up the holes? Everything I use pushes out from the ends and doesn't straighten out the pipe
for the stinger use a piece of fuel tubing with a screw in it , mine has never came out
Old 07-20-2005, 01:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I also use a piece of fuel tubing with a screw in the end to plug up the pressure nipple. For the stinger, some fuel bottle caps will fit. I not, go to Home Depot. In the fasteners section is an are they carry a variety of vacuum caps. I have many times replace a lost fuel bottle plug from this area. It will cost about .$79 for two caps.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The amount of the water is also a key...I would say 95% of water is good enough...usually, if you filled up water in 100%...then when the water frozed, it has no where to go, it will crack the pipe...

It happened on 1 of my pipe...good thing is a cheap one.

And only re-freeze 1 or 2 times top.....otherwise, the pipe might be expended too much...
Old 07-20-2005, 01:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

i tried this once... mine was pretty bad... i had to freeze and refreeze several times. it got much better, but obviously not perfect. i used serpent cleaning putty to plug mine up.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

did this MANY times, pipes always came out like new.
fill it up all the way!!
plug the pressure nipple with toothpick, stinger with fuel bottle cap that fits tight and the end with either caps that they sell for carbs with zip tie around it or i sometimes use wine cork that i dremeled to the size of the pipe.
sometimes it takes more that one time to get the dents out
Old 07-20-2005, 05:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

great planes carb covers work fine, just make sure that once the water within the pipe is frozenm, youŽll need to do it 2-3 times. i forgot once a rex pipe and it got deformed!
Old 07-21-2005, 05:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

To plug the pressure nipple i just use a length of fuel tube, then put a couple of kinks in it, then cable tie over the kinks to seal it.
For the stinger i just use some household cling wrap with an elastic band to seal it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.