Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Did nitro die?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 10:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

They are both fun and some prefer ep over nitro.
If I had to pick one over the other it would be nitro, hands down. I do race ep during the winter but as soon as I can get outdoors with my sedan, thats my choice
Old 12-31-2013, 10:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

They are both fun and some prefer ep over nitro.
If I had to pick one over the other it would be nitro, hands down. I do race ep during the winter but as soon as I can get outdoors with my sedan, thats my choice
Old 01-01-2014, 11:06 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

If you ask me, I'd have to say no. I'm by no mean a track racer of any sort but do love speed and have attended and competed at the ISC events. I love the fact that you can jut run nitro as long as needed without stoping before the tank dies. I even challenged myself and made a video and ran my nitro car 4 consecutive passes at 100mph and over each. At the end of the 4th pass, I still had enough fuel but chose not to make a 5th. I've yet to see this done with an electric.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:25 PM
Tech Regular

Main differance with electric is that nitro finals last longer wich is resembling the real thing scale wise. Ever see a 1/1 race last 8 minutes.? Takes skills to last the whole 30/45 minutes racing on the throttle. Concentrating and being consistant without mistakes yhr whole time will get you on the rostrum. And also the pitman influencing the result pitting every 5minutes makes it resembling the real thing. Otherwise the engine with these days loud noise can be too much. It will get better now with the latest EFRA rules though. Starting 8 scale nitro this year from 8 years 10 scale nitro. Mini-z in the wintertime only (but lots of fun though)

Last edited by djiewie; 01-01-2014 at 02:45 PM.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:51 PM
Tech Master

Since 1/8 scale onroad is sooooooooo expensive maybe someone will create a new nitro class. Maybe the manufactors will look at the work GT100 and Brent Davis have done. These 2 young men have put .18 -.21 size engines in their 1/10 scale cars and set all kinds of speed records. Their work motivated me to put a modified OS .18 in my V1RRR putting a modified .18 in my V1RRR was alot cheaper than putting in a .12 OS race engine and it was faster too because the motor is just a tiny bit heavier than a .12 it did not mess up the balance of the car so it still handle and was Super Fast!! The .18 was a drop in.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:05 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by nitrohead5300
Since 1/8 scale onroad is sooooooooo expensive maybe someone will create a new nitro class. Maybe the manufactors will look at the work GT100 and Brent Davis have done. These 2 young men have put .18 -.21 size engines in their 1/10 scale cars and set all kinds of speed records. Their work motivated me to put a modified OS .18 in my V1RRR putting a modified .18 in my V1RRR was alot cheaper than putting in a .12 OS race engine and it was faster too because the motor is just a tiny bit heavier than a .12 it did not mess up the balance of the car so it still handle and was Super Fast!! The .18 was a drop in.
Cool idea , could be a winner. Hope it takes of.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:22 PM
Tech Master

Djiewie here is a picture of my pocket rocket!!
Old 01-01-2014, 02:37 PM
Tech Regular

Djiewie here is a picture of my pocket rocket!!

are those rear tires the 220mm class tires?
I think this class would get more 10 scalers racing.

i`ll be watching the scene

have some pictures how the engine fits?
Old 01-01-2014, 03:59 PM
Tech Master

Yes the tires on the rear are the 220 mm class.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:14 PM
Tech Master

A new class was created... 1/8 GT...but guys lately were putting 4WD open motors in them....which will lead to its demise...
Just like happened to the 235 class..

...a new one was not created but resurrected....here in Toledo we are running 1/8 pan cars..just like the olden days....we are running cheaper (up to 5 port) motors...tires last way longer than full on 4wd cars...and they sip fuel...

Nitro does not need ANY new classes...that's the problem with electric...TOO MANY classes..It just dilutes the competition...guys switch classes in electric because they get their butts handed to them.....Everyone wants to be a winner.....
Old 01-01-2014, 04:53 PM
Tech Master

Taylorm I think a 4wd open motor would be too expensive you can get a OS .18 TZ for $150-180. And thats more than enough motor to make your 1/10 car a missile. Classes come and go only the strong classes survive.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Taylorm
A new class was created... 1/8 GT...but guys lately were putting 4WD open motors in them....which will lead to its demise...
Just like happened to the 235 class..

...a new one was not created but resurrected....here in Toledo we are running 1/8 pan cars..just like the olden days....we are running cheaper (up to 5 port) motors...tires last way longer than full on 4wd cars...and they sip fuel...

Nitro does not need ANY new classes...that's the problem with electric...TOO MANY classes..It just dilutes the competition...guys switch classes in electric because they get their butts handed to them.....Everyone wants to be a winner.....
Regarding 1/8 GT (GT8) class, ROAR has now established official rules for this class now. Regarding engines, only 5 ports max with 7mm restrictors are allowed for this class.

ROAR IC GT8 Rules update

Thursday, November 28th, 2013 ROAR IC GT8 Rules update

1. Engine: SEE 9.3 of ROAR~ any .21 size 5 port engine or ready to run kit with a factory .25 or .28 (must keep pull start on .25 and .28 if ready to run came with it.) For level 3 and below events only. Level 4 and above events any .21 5 port motor only 1. Max carb bore 7mm 2. Pipes: ROAR guidelines. 1. Rubber extensions to stinger OK 2. No internal moving parts”. 3. Chassis: Any 1/8 scale buggy or Truggy based shaft driven nitro powered vehicle. (Any off-road conversion is OK) with front kick up. 1. Chassis with Kick up cannot be altered to change original manufacturers design. 2. Stock and factory optional chassis are permitted, but it must retain all the characteristics of the standard off-road chassis on which it’s based. Chassis must be identical to their off-road counterparts in all dimensions except where it’s necessary to convert the chassis for on-road use. Carbon fiber chassis are not permitted. 3. For 2014 season only Ofna and Team C racing flat chassis are allowed. Starting in 2015 All chassis must have front kick up flat chassis will no longer be allowed. 4. Body: Any commercially available factory licensed replicas of ALMS, GT1 or GT2, Super GT, DTM, and V8 Supercar Cars. Licensed Bodies required for ROAR Competition starting 1/1/2015. For 2014 any commercially available body that resembles a GT body. Body must be a 2 seater with 2 doors. 1. Sports Cars: Closed wheel cars designed specifically for racing in full-size series. Engine Head may not protrude above body.

A) Wings and spoilers can be used if they are the original with the body and cut on the factory lines. B) All wheel wells must be cut out and rear of the bodies should maintain tail lamps and cannot be completely cut out. Wings must be attached to the body. C) No wedge style Bodies D) All body approvals will be subject to scrutiny of the respective or collective advisory committees regarding compliance to the “spirit of the rules.” An objective evaluation shall determine the status of each submission based on the adherence to the said rule E) • Bodies must be factory licensed replicas of the aforementioned street or race cars, but no “race-only” bodies are permitted. Bodies based on Daytona Prototypes, or the odd Super GT cars that are not representative of a commonly available street car, are not permitted. F) Bodies must include full front and rear fascia’s, and conform to the rules herein that limit openings in the body for the purposes of re-fueling, starting, engine tuning, and antenna holes G) Bodies must be fully detailed in order to compete in ROAR competition. The body must have visible window, body panel and trim markings, and the windows must be mostly clear. Some intrusion for creative painting purposes and tinting is permitted, but the windows must be transparent. Bodies must have headlight and grill detail. Transmission: • Transmission: Single speed or two-speed only. Single speed configurations must include a solidly mounted spur gear to a standard bevel gear center differential or a solid spool (no one-way bearing). No other differential types will be permitted. • Two-speed transmissions must use an automatic centrifugal shifting mechanism that is not remotely adjustable or programmable. Because of the nature of the two-speed transmission design, no center differential is required, but the transmission must include a solid center shaft that doesn’t allow differential action between the front and rear drive assemblies. Clutch: Only buggy based 2, 3, or 4 shoes systems No radial type clutches (Centex)

DRIVETRAIN • A shaft-drive system with two gear-type open differentials are required. • No one-ways, spools, locking “Torsion-type,” or externally adjustable differentials are permitted. The gear diffs can be tuned only with the use of silicone-based fluid. • Identical F/R drive ratios are required – no F/R under drive/overdrive permitted. • A single speed mounted to a center spool, or an included two-speed transmission are permitted. • The drivetrain shall be a center shaft system with ring and pinion gears driving the differentials. • Shaft-drive only – belt driven cars are not permitted. The drive system must maintain the same features as used in the original off-road configuration except where noted, including the center differential/two speed transmission with separate front and rear center drive shaft’s. • Only standard mechanical brakes are permitted – hydraulics are not permitted. Up to two brake discs are permitted anywhere on the center driveshaft’s. Brakes may not be located on the outboard axles. Fuel Tank: Up to 150cc max fuel capacity Wheels: • Wheels must use a 17mm hex hub consistent with the dimensions and function of the hubs used in 1/8 off-road racing. The wheel must be affixed by a 17mm wheel nut, threaded on to the hex hub. Quick change mechanisms are not permitted. • Dish wheels are not permitted. No more than 30-percent of the face of the wheel may be solid. The wheel “face” will be defined as all areas of the wheel between the mounting bead and the center mounting hole. Tires: Rubber Tires only – (maximum width: 47mm) Traction compound: OK • Tires must be “production” tires – hand cut tires or those not available to the general public are not permitted. “Available” is defined as having been sold to consumers a minimum of 30 days prior to the official start of the event. Tires must be molded rubber – no foam tires are permitted in any class. • Spec tires chosen by ROAR will be mandatory at all level 4 and level 5 events. Input from the host facility regarding favored compounds for track conditions will be considered, but the final decision on spec tires will remain with ROAR. The best interests of the racers will be the overriding criteria in choosing a proper spec tire. Financial, sponsorship, and/or business relationships of the host facility cannot be considered. • All races must be completed on the same tires used to start each race (qualifying and finals). Tire changes are not permitted except when a wheel and/or tire are determined by the race director or a ROAR official, to be damaged. Excessive tire wear does not constitute damage

Weight: Minimum dry weight of 3500 grams (with body and all four tires on the) vehicle)

Car Dimensions:

Item Limit Specification Length (B) Maximum TBD Width Maximum 310 mm Height (measured with suspension fully compressed Maximum 250 mm Wheelbase (a) Maximum 379 mm Minimum 270 mm Weight Minimum 3500 grams Wheels Mounting Bead Diameter Maximum 79.00 mm / 83.50 mm Overall Diameter Maximum 88.50 mm Width Maximum 44.45 mm Tires Diameter Maximum 119.22 mm Maximum 109.22 mm Width Maximum 46.99 mm Rear Wing Side dam Length Maximum TBD
Old 01-01-2014, 08:36 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bassman2
Regarding 1/8 GT (GT8) class, ROAR has now established official rules for this class now. Regarding engines, only 5 ports max with 7mm restrictors are allowed for this class.

ROAR IC GT8 Rules update

Thursday, November 28th, 2013 ROAR IC GT8 Rules update

1. Engine: SEE 9.3 of ROAR~ any .21 size 5 port engine or ready to run kit with a factory .25 or .28 (must keep pull start on .25 and .28 if ready to run came with it.) For level 3 and below events only. Level 4 and above events any .21 5 port motor only 1. Max carb bore 7mm 2. Pipes: ROAR guidelines. 1. Rubber extensions to stinger OK 2. No internal moving parts”. 3. Chassis: Any 1/8 scale buggy or Truggy based shaft driven nitro powered vehicle. (Any off-road conversion is OK) with front kick up. 1. Chassis with Kick up cannot be altered to change original manufacturers design. 2. Stock and factory optional chassis are permitted, but it must retain all the characteristics of the standard off-road chassis on which it’s based. Chassis must be identical to their off-road counterparts in all dimensions except where it’s necessary to convert the chassis for on-road use. Carbon fiber chassis are not permitted. 3. For 2014 season only Ofna and Team C racing flat chassis are allowed. Starting in 2015 All chassis must have front kick up flat chassis will no longer be allowed. 4. Body: Any commercially available factory licensed replicas of ALMS, GT1 or GT2, Super GT, DTM, and V8 Supercar Cars. Licensed Bodies required for ROAR Competition starting 1/1/2015. For 2014 any commercially available body that resembles a GT body. Body must be a 2 seater with 2 doors. 1. Sports Cars: Closed wheel cars designed specifically for racing in full-size series. Engine Head may not protrude above body.

A) Wings and spoilers can be used if they are the original with the body and cut on the factory lines. B) All wheel wells must be cut out and rear of the bodies should maintain tail lamps and cannot be completely cut out. Wings must be attached to the body. C) No wedge style Bodies D) All body approvals will be subject to scrutiny of the respective or collective advisory committees regarding compliance to the “spirit of the rules.” An objective evaluation shall determine the status of each submission based on the adherence to the said rule E) • Bodies must be factory licensed replicas of the aforementioned street or race cars, but no “race-only” bodies are permitted. Bodies based on Daytona Prototypes, or the odd Super GT cars that are not representative of a commonly available street car, are not permitted. F) Bodies must include full front and rear fascia’s, and conform to the rules herein that limit openings in the body for the purposes of re-fueling, starting, engine tuning, and antenna holes G) Bodies must be fully detailed in order to compete in ROAR competition. The body must have visible window, body panel and trim markings, and the windows must be mostly clear. Some intrusion for creative painting purposes and tinting is permitted, but the windows must be transparent. Bodies must have headlight and grill detail. Transmission: • Transmission: Single speed or two-speed only. Single speed configurations must include a solidly mounted spur gear to a standard bevel gear center differential or a solid spool (no one-way bearing). No other differential types will be permitted. • Two-speed transmissions must use an automatic centrifugal shifting mechanism that is not remotely adjustable or programmable. Because of the nature of the two-speed transmission design, no center differential is required, but the transmission must include a solid center shaft that doesn’t allow differential action between the front and rear drive assemblies. Clutch: Only buggy based 2, 3, or 4 shoes systems No radial type clutches (Centex)

DRIVETRAIN • A shaft-drive system with two gear-type open differentials are required. • No one-ways, spools, locking “Torsion-type,” or externally adjustable differentials are permitted. The gear diffs can be tuned only with the use of silicone-based fluid. • Identical F/R drive ratios are required – no F/R under drive/overdrive permitted. • A single speed mounted to a center spool, or an included two-speed transmission are permitted. • The drivetrain shall be a center shaft system with ring and pinion gears driving the differentials. • Shaft-drive only – belt driven cars are not permitted. The drive system must maintain the same features as used in the original off-road configuration except where noted, including the center differential/two speed transmission with separate front and rear center drive shaft’s. • Only standard mechanical brakes are permitted – hydraulics are not permitted. Up to two brake discs are permitted anywhere on the center driveshaft’s. Brakes may not be located on the outboard axles. Fuel Tank: Up to 150cc max fuel capacity Wheels: • Wheels must use a 17mm hex hub consistent with the dimensions and function of the hubs used in 1/8 off-road racing. The wheel must be affixed by a 17mm wheel nut, threaded on to the hex hub. Quick change mechanisms are not permitted. • Dish wheels are not permitted. No more than 30-percent of the face of the wheel may be solid. The wheel “face” will be defined as all areas of the wheel between the mounting bead and the center mounting hole. Tires: Rubber Tires only – (maximum width: 47mm) Traction compound: OK • Tires must be “production” tires – hand cut tires or those not available to the general public are not permitted. “Available” is defined as having been sold to consumers a minimum of 30 days prior to the official start of the event. Tires must be molded rubber – no foam tires are permitted in any class. • Spec tires chosen by ROAR will be mandatory at all level 4 and level 5 events. Input from the host facility regarding favored compounds for track conditions will be considered, but the final decision on spec tires will remain with ROAR. The best interests of the racers will be the overriding criteria in choosing a proper spec tire. Financial, sponsorship, and/or business relationships of the host facility cannot be considered. • All races must be completed on the same tires used to start each race (qualifying and finals). Tire changes are not permitted except when a wheel and/or tire are determined by the race director or a ROAR official, to be damaged. Excessive tire wear does not constitute damage

Weight: Minimum dry weight of 3500 grams (with body and all four tires on the) vehicle)

Car Dimensions:

Item Limit Specification Length (B) Maximum TBD Width Maximum 310 mm Height (measured with suspension fully compressed Maximum 250 mm Wheelbase (a) Maximum 379 mm Minimum 270 mm Weight Minimum 3500 grams Wheels Mounting Bead Diameter Maximum 79.00 mm / 83.50 mm Overall Diameter Maximum 88.50 mm Width Maximum 44.45 mm Tires Diameter Maximum 119.22 mm Maximum 109.22 mm Width Maximum 46.99 mm Rear Wing Side dam Length Maximum TBD
Andy...do the rules say anything about modding the ports??.....So a tuner like Murnan takes a 400.00 5 port motor and does 150.00 worth of work....(or whatever he charges..IDK... I run stock 4wd open motors)...now you are into 1/8 open territory again?.....In years past (before I raced)...guys LOVED the 235 nitro class....It started (I believe) as 2WD with 3 port motors...then came the open motors and 4WD..poof..there goes the class....(same with sedans...400.00+ for a .12 motor??...that's insane...At that point you are into 1/8 open money again.......

I get it....racers always want to go faster...but there is already a class for that 1/8 open......

No wonder we cant get new blood to the track...A new "cheap" class is started...then 2 years later its a fulll blow money class......

and now roar banning chassis because of no kickup?...amazing.....wonder who paid roar?
Old 01-01-2014, 09:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Andy...do the rules say anything about modding the ports??.....So a tuner like Murnan takes a 400.00 5 port motor and does 150.00 worth of work....(or whatever he charges..IDK... I run stock 4wd open motors)...now you are into 1/8 open territory again?.....In years past (before I raced)...guys LOVED the 235 nitro class....It started (I believe) as 2WD with 3 port motors...then came the open motors and 4WD..poof..there goes the class....(same with sedans...400.00+ for a .12 motor??...that's insane...At that point you are into 1/8 open money again.......

I get it....racers always want to go faster...but there is already a class for that 1/8 open......

No wonder we cant get new blood to the track...A new "cheap" class is started...then 2 years later its a fulll blow money class......

and now roar banning chassis because of no kickup?...amazing.....wonder who paid roar?
No Kidding GT was to be the VTA of nitro
Old 01-01-2014, 11:02 PM
Tech Lord

As I have stated in this topic:
http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-ro...gine-spec.html

A 5-port rule is not going to keep the costs and the performance down. Even when talking about no visable modding you can boost the performance using parts from other engines or use special on higher specs made factory produced motors.

If you want to use a certain model engine for a spec class you must be sure the whole production is the same and I can say from own experience it is for sure not!

Setting a rule is one thing, having control over it is another....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.